U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Michigan, huh? I wonder if there is a study-abroad program that the university runs nearby. I lived in Italy for a year while I was in college and found a lot of other universities in Florence as well. Many of those students wore UMass or Stanford sweatshirts too.
Not around here. You see lots of tshirts for the big US universities, just surprised at the number of Michigan ones. I've seen quite a few fake ones as well - they'll say Michigan University and there's no such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM

604 posts, read 657,272 times
I didn't realize we were talking about countries that my friends lived in, I thought it was back to Europe in General...

Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM

253 posts, read 714,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
ROFL - tell me about it - I almost had cardiac arrest when my husband told me what "fanny" meant over here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Another one that took some getting used to was that '****' were cigarettes.

Thanks for info on the slang. The ones you guys told me have made me interested in looking up more: Useful Scottish Slang Words & Phrases Such as Fit Like Min, Aye And Ya Bas | London Is Cool

I may need to print this out and bring it with me. Lol. So many confusing words!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,609,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Here's an article on how to avoid looking like an American when traveling. How ridiculous! I'll have to remember to pack my ketchup packets on the next trip..... Somehow I don't think any of these tips would help me blend in with the locals in Ethiopia.

How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist | Interesting Pictures
The on on the left looks like a european tourist to me. At least the ones that hang out in Airlie.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
who cares if you are "given away"

be true to yourself

if you wear ballcaps, wear a friggin ballcap - if someone discounts you because of it then that is on them ..... just be respectful like you would with any hat on when & where you wear one

if you are walking all over a city and your tennis shoes are comfortable, wear them - you'll feet will thank you ...... may not be fashionable or what the locals do, but i'm sure the locals aren't spending the day canvassing a location like you are

i agree about not shouting through a communication gap, being unaware of those around you, stopping in the middle of a busy area so you can get a photo or point and stare at stuff, etc

you can be yourself and be respectful - the two do not have to be mutually exclusive

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
you can be yourself and be respectful - the two do not have to be mutually exclusive
Yes--and to be yourself is to show *self* respect.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

72 posts, read 162,535 times
No, stop it, I'm tired of americans posing as canadians abroad, no one will even believe me any more when i say that i'm canadian because you all

Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,418,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
I'm traveling to Europe for the first time this summer and i'm excited but also a little worried. I realize we are not in favor of every country right now and i've heard some stories about Americans being treated bad for just being an American. While i know of the "arrogant American" travelers i can say that i will not be like that. I'm going to Europe to experience some of the world and learn new things and i actually can speak some of the languages in the countries i'm going to. lol. However, i'm still worried about the reactions of people if they ask where i am from and i say America. I don't want to get shanked. So, should i pose as a Canadian or no?
The only time I was approached by a lone American tourist in a European town who asked if she could walk with us until we were out of a neighborhood. Only then did I realized that we were in a district of mostly ME people, where I bought fruits and other groceries. Americans are more popular than Canadians in Europe. Darn .. the band played "Star Spangled Banner" 3x before they swung to "O Canada".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel