U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM

58 posts, read 75,191 times

Advertisements

I love Estes Park, Colorado for it's beauty, quaintness, cleanliness, and friendliness... just the feel. Can you suggest any similar towns East of the Mississippi (that aren't too out of the way,) for me to research? It should be a good place to live, not just visit. Also, any towns in a climate that is warmer than Estes? Thanks for your input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
It was years ago that I visited Pigeon Forge and Gattlinburg TN. I remember them being somewhat like Estes Park, and they sure are warmer in the winter.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Pigeon Forge and Gattlinburg TN.
Those would be my vote (I grew up in Estes). I'm sure there are similar towns in close proximity to these in TN, and WV. Not quite the stunning vistas.

There are a few WEST also (Big Sky, MT Leavenworth, WA)

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It was years ago that I visited Pigeon Forge and Gattlinburg TN. I remember them being somewhat like Estes Park, and they sure are warmer in the winter.
Given their proximity to a national park and their nice climate, I guess, but I find these towns to be far more kitschy than Estes Park.

Blowing Rock, NC might be worth a look.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Smile These are great ideas!

Thank you for answering! We were recently driving north on 75 through Knoxville on our way home from Florida. It was a clear, sunny day. I looked out my window and saw the snow-capped mountains!!! I (stupid me) didn't know there were such beautiful mountains here in the East. I had a "priviledged" youth and got to fly everywhere. Now I know what I was missing. I learned a lot on that drive to Florida.
ANYHOW, in seeing those mountians I got teary because I didn't realize how much I miss the Rockies. StealthRabbit, We lived in Estes for four years. We came "home" to start our family, so our kids would have grandparents. But I think Estes would be an excellent place to grow up (just too far from family for us.) What decades did you "grow up" there? Why did you leave? What did kids do for fun there? Did you feel clautrophobic or cozy in that valley? I went on a realty site yesterday and there were 330 homes for sale in Estes. Many of them were over a million. For $200,000 you don't get much! When we left in '98, our house fetched $200,000. It sold a couple of years ago for over $500,000. Ha Ha Missed out on that investment!
Anyhow, I would like to visit Tennessee as well as North Carolina. Beautiful and warm.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Hmmm, Estes Park is like a national park gateway, but a little more mellow than the tacky crowded tourist serving places like Gatlinburg and Cherokee. Avoid those places like the plague wheater you are a tourist (and go straight to The Smokey's and don't stop) or homeseeker!

I would recommend the small valley towns between Knoxville and Bristol (Knoxville itself is too large and busy, but Kingsport/Bristol area is good)....or Asheville and that area. You get a winter for sure, but it's not that cold.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
There is a big difference in living vs. visiting these types of areas.

I would look to regional ski areas and towns nearby (TN, NC, SC, GA) for similar climate and terrain to EP in SE USA. There are many nice 'similar to Estes' places in Vt, NH as well. For 'livability' (If that is your plan), I would avoid resort destinations. There are many nice towns in the eastern mtns. You may need to consider your accessibility for grandparents, thus airports and interstate highways within 30 min. might be desired.

I'm not a pro on eastern USA, I don't do humidity, so I only visit in spring and fall.

Before choosing a HOME, be sure to visit long enough to attend community functions in your area of interest, stay a few weeks with locals in their homes (Private Guest homes (not B&B), or 'friends' you meet at school, library, 4H, or church). Also talk to locals about climate and soils (If you garden). Get a temp and soil map from County Extension service (some micro climates can be very depressing (frost / fog zones)). Find an open home on the sunny side of a hill. North facing homes can be very icy and cold for prolonged time, ESPECIALLY for an ex-Coloradoan. - awe, I miss the winter sunshine when you can comfortably ski in your 'shirtsleeves' (Not probable in the east of USA)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Excellent advice, as usual, StealthRabbit! You should change your name to "wiseone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or