U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 AM

206 posts, read 513,932 times

Advertisements

I'ts time to see the world! I'm planning a trip from the states to London to Amsterdam to Paris and back. I am interested in any info that you think would be helpful. As this is my first foray outside the states so obviously I need help. I am planning to stay 8 days in each city starting Oct.5. Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,689,809 times
8 days in each city! Lucky dog. That definitely leaves you time to explore surrounding areas of the cities too. While in London, I would take a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
Do you have plane tickets already? Flying into London?
Cheap Flights on Eurotrip (http://www.eurotrip.com/category/forums/europeantravel/cheapflights - broken link) can be helpful.

Is your itinerary set in stone? How do you plan on getting around? Train? Ferry? Eurostar?
Are you a young, older, or in-between aged traveler? What do you like? Museums? Scenic beauty? Architecture? Food and drink? Plays or concerts?

Much has already been posted about London and Paris here on this forum.
Try a search and see what you come up with.
I agree with PAUK about Bath and Stonehenge, and will add Hampton Court as a day trip. You might actually like to spend the night in Bath.
One of the best things about London is that so many places are free.
Free Museums in London

Paris is very walkable and if you do some research and have a map you can fill days and days with sight-seeing. The Eiffel Tower,Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysees, Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, Pere Lachaise cemetery, Pompidou, Notre Dame Cathedral, Marais, Catacombs, Rodin Museum, the many gardens. Look up which open markets will be going on while you are there. There is probably always something going on in the Latin Quarter.

But some day trips that I enjoy are:
Reims ~ the Cathedral with the Smiling Angel, and touring the many champagne caves

Fontainebleau ~ Everyone goes to Versailles, and they should, but Fontainebleau is a beautiful but not overlong train journey through a forest, and a worthy destination. You may instead prefer to spend a day or two seeing the chateaux in the Loire Valley.

Giverny ~ The garden will be less crowded in early October, and still probably lovely.

The city of Amsterdam is a sight in itself with the canals and parks. Maybe you can rent a bike.
Favorite sights: Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, and there was another museum whose name escapes me that was filled with exhibits depicting daily life during the heyday of the 1600's.
Of course there is the Red Light district.
We never took daytrips out of Amsterdam so I can't help you there.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,977,145 times
If you're going from Amsterdam to Paris, an idea would be to go by train and stop on the way in Brussels, and stay there a couple of days (I guess 5 days are more than OK in Amsterdam)

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

12,334 posts, read 18,441,839 times
Info - hmmm, well right now the Dutch coffee shop price for a gram of fine blonde skunk is about 11 euro. Tommorrow I take the train into Amsterdam and I will get the space cake rates.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM

First I want to thank BlueWillowPlate on the info.
Now, at the suggestion of a friend I have included Rome in this trip. If I'm gonna do this, I may as well do it right. So now I'm going from London-Amsterdam-Rome-Paris at 6 days a piece.

Do you have plane tickets already? No, still in the planning stages.

Flying into London? Yes

Is your itinerary set in stone? Never, I'm always up for suggestions

How do you plan on getting around? Train? Ferry? Eurostar? As of right now I'm planning on flying to each city, but I'm still trying to see if it's better to take a train instead on some of the transits.

Are you a young, older, or in-between aged traveler? I'm 23 years old.

What do you like? Museums? Scenic beauty? Architecture? Food and drink? Plays or concerts? I want to try to take in a bit of each at every city.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,400,327 times
If you are flying between cities in Europe, fly RyanAir or Easyjet. Make sure to book ahead of time and you will be able to fly for around 30 euros. Better than driving and/or taking a train.
If you do want to try something different, take the Eurostar bullet train from London to Paris, it crosses the English Channel under water, pretty cool. Have fun!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
If you are flying between cities in Europe, fly RyanAir or Easyjet. Make sure to book ahead of time and you will be able to fly for around 30 euros. Better than driving and/or taking a train.
If you do want to try something different, take the Eurostar bullet train from London to Paris, it crosses the English Channel under water, pretty cool. Have fun!
Thanks! I'm for sure taking the bullet train.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
Where i live epopelk say when the pecan trees satrt blooming you knw spring is satrting. It pretty accurate too from what i have observed over the years. Right now they are bare with other already bloming .

Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 PM

8,036 posts, read 2,821,792 times
Perhaps you could consider getting a Eurail train pass - they offer a number of different options - as well as cheaper prices for people aged under 26 years. Their Select Pass for 3, 4 or 5 countries might work well for you. Google Eurail passes, to get all the details.

The advantages of taking the train are:

You don't have to get to the station hours earlier (like an airports) and there's not all the security hoo-ha.

You get to see the countryside/towns etc as you travel.

You get to meet lots of other travellers in your age group.

You won't have to pay huge taxi/shuttle bus fares to get to the city from the airport (most European train stations are right in the centre of the cities they serve).

There are usually lots of cheap/cheapish hotels centred within a 500 yard radius of the station... easier when you have baggage etc. Many European rail stations have hotel booking desks on the concourse - they will help you find somewhere to stay within your price range, make the booking for you, and give you directions on how to find it.

The pass is very flexible - except for certain trains, you don't need to book ahead... just turn up and jump on. For the cities you're thinking of visiting, the interconnecting trains will be quite frequent - way more frequent than Amtrak long distance routes!

One disadvantage is that the Eurail pass won't cover the Eurostar train, since Britain doesn't participate in that pass. But, other than that, I can't think of any other disadvantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel