Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

I have a question to ask for hostellers and backpackers. I'll be travelling on a tight budget through about every type of terrain known to man except possibly tundra.

I'll be travelling through Europe from Greece to England and then down to Morocco by train, ferry, bus, and on foot.

Then later I'll be travelling from Taiwan to Mongolia, then to India and Indonesia, by plane, train, various boats, bus, moped, bemo, on foot, and possibly other forms of transportation.

I'm planning on carrying about 3 changes of all-purpose clothing and adding/subtracting garments from the cheapest local shops I can find as the climate dictates. Besides a small pack of toiletries and a first aid kit, I'm planning to donate, sell, drop, or ship home anything I don't immediately need.

I may also occasionally need to carry enough food and water for a couple of days at a time.

I'll be staying mostly in hostels with the occasional homestay, "open campsite", or possibly even a short-term apartment rental thrown in the mix.

I don't think I'll be swimming across any rivers, hacking through jungle, or humping it across sand dunes, but you never know.

A few years ago, I crossed Germany with a massive unpadded US Army duffel crammed full of crap. It fell apart after two weeks of hauling WAY too much junk and I'd like to avoid repeating that mistake.

So what sort of backpack has worked best for you? I'm thinking a midsized backpack (a little taller than my knees when sitting on the floor, but compressible to airline carry-on size requirements if you're creative) with a detachable daypack. I think wheels are more trouble and weight than they're worth.

What are your opinions/experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I see wheels as a waste for your usage. Only good in airports, otherwise they add weight and get in the way. Also the "luggage/backpack" models usually fail at both. Get a good midsize backpack, doesn't have to be the full frame support expidition models, but something with enough support to be comfortable (distributed between back and shoulders) and large enough to hold the three days or so of clothes and supplies that you need.
The lighter you can pack the happier you will be.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I don't think wheels are worth it.
My backpack is Eagle Creek Travelite, and converts into a duffelbag if necessary (this is a nice feature if you want to streamline your pack when going through security and onto the plane or other transportation).
I've had the pack for almost ten years and it has worked well for me; I always do carryon and it fits under the seat in front of me if necessary.
The husband has the larger pack, it has a zip-off daypack with it.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks. Who carries Eagle Creek? Do they have a website? I'd like to have a look.

So far no votes for wheels. Kinda what I was thinking.

What's the smallest pack you have ever lived out of for weeks (or months) at a time?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
What's the smallest pack you have ever lived out of for weeks (or months) at a time?
Not for weeks, but for days, I used essentially a day pack, or one of those small backpacks you see students carry their book in, while trekking in Nepal from lodge to lodge. In that case all I needed was one change of clothes, jacket, and some rudimentary supplies (toothbrush) and water bottle and camera. Basically not much bigger than a day pack, but the biggest weight was a sleeping bag I needed to sleep on floors and such so I had to configure it to strap it on.

My main luggage pack was cached in lodge at the tip of the trails where I would recover them after my trek. Which offers you another option - learn to cache supplies at a train locker or main lodge and then pack lighter for the more off the road circuits.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Which offers you another option - learn to cache supplies at a train locker or main lodge and then pack lighter for the more off the road circuits.
Yes, this can be crucial.
Unfortunately, with the security worries these days, some train stations have discontinued these, but there are still some around.
I've left my pack in some kind of funny places, such as behind the counter at London's Globe Theater (and it has been quite safe.)

Sponger, I got my Eagle Creek backpack at REI.
Just do a little googling, and you'll find both REI as well as Eagle Creek's own site. It would be really helpful if you can try on these packs for size, especially full of what you plan to bring. If you must order your pack online, allow yourself enough time to make sure it is the right one for you. This should go without saying, but often a pack that works for a guy might not work for a woman.

I've never lived out of my pack longer than 3 weeks, and only carried minimal food, but it was fine. Every now and then I'll have to do a bit of laundry in the sink, but that's okay.

Here is REI:
REI
And Eagle Creek

edited to add:
If you shop online (or directly at) REI, you can look at a wide variety of sizes.
REI has its own brand of backpacks, and one of the larger ones was called the Grand Tour.
I think the general rule of thumb for larger packs is 5000 cubic inches?
I prefer internal frame backpacks, myself. And make sure you are carrying the weight on your hips, not your back.
Also, Overstock.com is worth checking out. You might save some money. But don't sacrifice quality, though.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 01-04-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 PM

46 posts, read 152,198 times
I've never traveled for months (like 3 weeks at most) but it's always good to pack light because remeber you're going to have to lug it around. From the airport to the hostel and back. In the hostels I've stayed only one of them had an elevator and it was old so be prepared to lug stuff up stairs. I used a Jansport duffle that could also be worn as a back pack wich was awesome since it was easier to carry that way. Oh yeah and never ever check in your luggage the one time I did it got lost plus you get out of the airport faster. Also check the carry on requirements for whatever country you are flying into because on a flight towards Paris that stopped over in London (where you can only have one carryon if you are flying out from there)there were a lot of people asked to combine their things into one carry on and there was this man in front of us who had a laptop case and a rolling briefcase and when they asked him he was like" that's just not possible" and he ended up missing the connecting flight.

Last edited by doily; 01-04-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM

Yes, I'm planning on trying them out in person with appropriate dummy weights. I'm looking for one with a detachable day pack, similiar to what you suggested Dd7. I just wonder how well-balanced those detachable packs are?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
I would suggest a frameless no name backpack. The wife and I got two in a Chinatown shop for about 20 bucks. They have made it to Everest and back and around the world a few times.

We were in Cambodia two years ago and decided to upgrade to Northface back packs. Frames were added weight.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I would suggest a frameless no name backpack. The wife and I got two in a Chinatown shop for about 20 bucks. They have made it to Everest and back and around the world a few times.

We were in Cambodia two years ago and decided to upgrade to Northface back packs. Frames were added weight.
heh
I remember when Northface itself was no-name (outside of Colorado).
It's nice when a no-name backpack lasts, but it's also nice to have a backpack with a lifetime warranty, which ours do.
If you *do* ever get stuck having to check it, Bad Things can sometimes happen with the airlines, and our packs would be repaired.
My internal frame backpack is quite light. I, at 115 pounds, wear it easily, but I perhaps Sponger wanted something sturdier?
Different strokes I guess.

ETA:
Mine does not have the detachable daypack, but obviously bigger models do.
One of the things I like best about it is its convertablity--that the straps can be zipped into a compartment.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 01-09-2008 at 04:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel