Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

253 posts, read 793,492 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Europe for the first time this summer and i'm excited but also a little worried. I realize we are not in favor of every country right now and i've heard some stories about Americans being treated bad for just being an American. While i know of the "arrogant American" travelers i can say that i will not be like that. I'm going to Europe to experience some of the world and learn new things and i actually can speak some of the languages in the countries i'm going to. lol. However, i'm still worried about the reactions of people if they ask where i am from and i say America. I don't want to get shanked. So, should i pose as a Canadian or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,246,232 times
That's a misconception. Europeans have nothing against Americans. They (as most other countries) have issues with arrogant travelers that are rude, disrespect their cultures, and act like idiots in public. As long as you're neither of those, you should have no issues anywhere in the world. Basically, don't stand on in the middle of the street in Paris with your shorts, white tennis shoes and fanny pack, while taking pictures of the Eiffel tower and you'll be just fine. Just because some countries don't like us politically, does not mean every single resident of that country has those feelings.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM

86 posts, read 171,287 times
How does one 'pose' as a Canadian??

Do you have a fake Canadian accent? Canadian clothes?

Canadians have a charming little habit of sewing little canadian flags on their luggage and clothes when they travel, so I guess you could do that.

Good luck on your trip! I hope you don't get shanked

Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,846 times
Haha, whenever I see a backpacker with a Canadian flag sewn onto their pack, I assume they're an overly-nervous American.

I travelled all over Europe in 2008 and never heard an ill word spoken about me or the United States. After Obama won the election, people were pretty jazzed. An old guy in Port Bou bought me a beer because of the results.

The only time we ever felt threatened were when we were around members of the US military, actually. There are lots of US bases in Europe. Steer clear of them and places servicemen tend to congregate.

It's odd, because in the US I lived and worked on an Air Force Station and a NAWS without any trouble and had some good times with soldiers, but I guess some of them act differently when they're not in their home country.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,906,280 times
I never understood the posing as a Canadian thing.
Nobody should feel the need to do it. I am a proud American, but not arrogant. (Furthermore, it's not as if every other country on earth has spotlessly clean hands--but that's another thread).
I was in France in March 2003 when we invaded Iraq, and everyone was quite kind and courteous.
It's great that you can speak a couple other languages, and I bet you'll have a wonderful trip.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 AM

253 posts, read 793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
How does one 'pose' as a Canadian??

Do you have a fake Canadian accent? Canadian clothes?

Canadians have a charming little habit of sewing little canadian flags on their luggage and clothes when they travel, so I guess you could do that.

Good luck on your trip! I hope you don't get shanked

lol. if they ask where i'm from i'd say "canada". and i've talked to some Canadians, their accent sounds just like mine.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM

274 posts, read 857,493 times
why not just try being who you are and celebrating where your from???? Just be normal, You might be surprised at how well it works.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,755,478 times
I'm American and I live in England - I've travelled to mainland Europe several times. I have never, not once, come across someone who has a problem with me just because I'm American. If you do happen to come across someone like that, it's unlucky but it's not the norm. There's a lot of anti-Americanism on the internet but those people do not speak for the masses and most of them are wusses in real life and can only express their hatred over the internet.

Posing as a Canadian would only prove to that anti-American minority that there is something about being American which we should be ashamed of. Even if I had come across it in my travels, I would never, ever hide who I am.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,228,920 times
A couple of stories being American in Europe (or other places in the world).

One time in Gemany, I was discussing (heated at times) politics with a group of German students and I ended up making out with one of the girls...pretty hilarious, although it was after about a gallon of beer. They obviously knew i was American and had no problem with me, we actually had lots of fun.

On a different trip in Munich we were at a beer hall and sat next to an older german couple, and through hand signals we got through the basic intros (name, where we were from, etc.). One beer into the evening they were teaching us the words to beer drinking songs.

While hiking in Slovenia we ended up hanging with some Czech guys (one year anniversary of 9/11) and we had a pretty interesting discussion. After about 1 hour of hiking and talking they actually hugged us good-bye.

I have found that being myself is the best bet. I am a respectful person and try to be understanding of different points of view, so maybe that is why I have never had a problem anywhere in the world. I recommend being yourself...people like nice people, no matter where they are from.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,320,225 times
There are rude, discourteous people all over the world. You shouldn't base who you act like based on these few people.

Just steer clear of obviously dangerous areas, don't speak loudly in areas that are indoors (unless it's a club or other similar venue), don't stand in the middle of the road that is very crowded and take pictures, don't diss the locals or their politics, at least make a passing attempt at the local language (even if you butcher it badly, they will appreciate it), and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel