U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever travel to North Dakota?
Yes, I know exactly where I'm going to go. 5 17.86%
Yes, I'm going but really don't know what I'm going to see. 11 39.29%
No, There is nothing there for me. 4 14.29%
No, I have no idea what there is to see in North Dakota. 5 17.86%
Maybe (please discuss details below) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times

Advertisements

The eastern half of North Dakota has many thousands of "potholes", which are tiny wetlands teeming with waterbirds, frogs, etc. Take a pair of binoculars for birdwatching there. Every few miles on country roads, you'll pass one very close to the road. Don't worry about getting lost on the back roads, they all follow right angles like a checkerboard. Everything off the main highways is gravel, but maintained well. But never drive on a dirt road when it's wet, if it has not been graveled. It will be gumbo, and you don't want to find out first hand about gumbo.

If you're camping, almost every little town invites campers to set up overnight in the town park for free. So you'll never need to pay for a place to camp, either tenting or a camper vehicle. Some have hookups, no charge. Local people will never bother you when camping in their parks, but are very friendly and folksy if you talk to them. If they were fishing that day, they might offer you a stringer of walleyes.

I have a friend from New York City, who decided,, just out of the blue, to go to college in North Dakota. He loved every minute of it. People there don't suffer from vertigo, they get horizontigo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,757,997 times
I plan to visit North Dakota one day but the time is not definite and certainly not any time soon. I really want to see all 50 states and North Dakota is on my list.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM

20 posts, read 43,778 times
Thanks for the story Chief and jtur, stories are always fun to read.

I work in the time zone change so i know how complicated it could get, try doing that when daylight savings rolls around, luckily, the company has changed to strictly Central. I work with alot of guys that wake up at 5 AM Mountain to get to work at 7:30 AM Central. its about an hour drive to work for me, so when I stay at my buddy's place I don't have to wake up any earlier, according to the time.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,357,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynadeau View Post
Thanks for the story Chief and jtur, stories are always fun to read.

I work in the time zone change so i know how complicated it could get, try doing that when daylight savings rolls around, luckily, the company has changed to strictly Central. I work with alot of guys that wake up at 5 AM Mountain to get to work at 7:30 AM Central. its about an hour drive to work for me, so when I stay at my buddy's place I don't have to wake up any earlier, according to the time.
Man, I couldn't imagine having to cope with time changes on a daily basis! One of the things I like about my current job is that all of my deliveries are in the Eastern Time Zone. I consider myself fortunate to be acquainted with a firefighting instructor/author who lives in Jamestown, ND. I was able to stop for lunch with him and his lovely wife on one of my loads and I hope to get back for an extended visit one day!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,585,964 times
North Dakota is the last state in the continental USA I have not been to yet. Just haven't had any reason to go through there yet. But doesn't look like much is on offer there.

I went to South Dakota last year and really liked it a lot, especially the Black Hills, which I found very impressive. So I'm willing to give ND a go, but it's not a priority right now.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,554,809 times
I'd love to visit any place I haven't been yet.

I have been to ND when I was very young so I need to go again.

I think every state has it's own beauty and I have every intention of visiting them all again before my birth certificate expires.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 PM

20 posts, read 43,778 times
Thanks Granny Sue, I sure hope others could find the same beauty in this state as I do!

(I like the Birth Certificate Comment!)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,888,618 times
I have been there for business, and I might go to see the Ralph if the Gophers come to town to beat up on the Canadian kids. Other than that, no desire to visit.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,632 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What are the top five attractions in North Dakota?
don't miss the 'Yard-Art"
The Enchanted Highway Virtual Tour - Regent, North Dakota
The Giant Beasts of North Dakota Virtual Tour Map
Travel Guide to North Dakota Tourism, Vacations, Attractions, and Events

There is plenty to see and do in ND, enjoy your stay.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM

659 posts, read 2,413,545 times
When I lived in Winnipeg, I used to travel to ND to pick up shipped packages from the US to save major $$ on shipping charges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or