U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever travel to North Dakota?
Yes, I know exactly where I'm going to go. 5 17.86%
Yes, I'm going but really don't know what I'm going to see. 11 39.29%
No, There is nothing there for me. 4 14.29%
No, I have no idea what there is to see in North Dakota. 5 17.86%
Maybe (please discuss details below) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,778,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The eastern half of North Dakota has many thousands of "potholes", which are tiny wetlands teeming with waterbirds, frogs, etc. Take a pair of binoculars for birdwatching there. Every few miles on country roads, you'll pass one very close to the road. Don't worry about getting lost on the back roads, they all follow right angles like a checkerboard. Everything off the main highways is gravel, but maintained well. But never drive on a dirt road when it's wet, if it has not been graveled. It will be gumbo, and you don't want to find out first hand about gumbo.

If you're camping, almost every little town invites campers to set up overnight in the town park for free. So you'll never need to pay for a place to camp, either tenting or a camper vehicle. Some have hookups, no charge. Local people will never bother you when camping in their parks, but are very friendly and folksy if you talk to them. If they were fishing that day, they might offer you a stringer of walleyes.

I have a friend from New York City, who decided,, just out of the blue, to go to college in North Dakota. He loved every minute of it. People there don't suffer from vertigo, they get horizontigo.
I actually lived in North Dakota for a year and half as a teen (that's TWO winters!!!! ) - spending part of that time in Hatton ("Home of Carl Ben Eielson") and part of it in Finley. Both were very small towns (pop 800 or so at the time (probably not much different now) in the eastern part of the state - among the many pothole lakes you mention. Fishing was great there and during the summer (which I loved) I did it quite often (not a whole lot else to do admittedly).

Still, in spite of the absolute BRUTAL winters and lack of choices in regards to activities I REALLY enjoyed my time there. The people are great, the summers are MUCH APPRECIATED (in spite of the hoards of mozzies) and - to be quite frank about it - there is something both mystical and humbling about being in a place where the sky is so very very vast. It really makes you feel extremely tiny and really makes you appreciate the wonder of the world around you. The grasslands (actually mostly wheatfields) just seem to go on FOREVER.

I'm always reminded of my time in NoDak when I watch the scenes in Dances With Wolves where Kevin Costner is riding alone across the seemingly endless sea of grass that is the Prairie. Though it's subtle, there is a certain beauty and majesty to that part of the country that's really... pretty striking.

Would I travel there again?
Probably not.
Do I regret the time I spent there?
Not a chance.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I've been there, seen what there is to see, and really have no desire or reason to go back.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM

198 posts, read 434,508 times
I love North Dakota. In a world that sometimes seems crowded the ability of North Dakota to make you feel like you're the only person on earth is rare experience. I haven't been there lately, but I would love to go back since I live in a neighboring state.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:30 AM

808 posts, read 1,170,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I plan to visit North Dakota one day but the time is not definite and certainly not any time soon. I really want to see all 50 states and North Dakota is on my list.
My line exactly. My goal in life is to step foot in all 50 states and have only 12 to go, with ND being one of them. I believe EVERY state has its own beauty and many things worth seeing.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Went through on the train (The Empire Builder,from Portland OR) just got a taste. They put a couple of kids off the train in Fargo for smoking weed in the lounge car. Would love to know how THEIR trip turned out. Some of the little towns looked interesting. I'd never say "never again".

Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I plan to visit North Dakota one day but the time is not definite and certainly not any time soon. I really want to see all 50 states and North Dakota is on my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
My line exactly. My goal in life is to step foot in all 50 states and have only 12 to go, with ND being one of them. I believe EVERY state has its own beauty and many things worth seeing.
That's the only reason we went there. We want to finish all 50 states this year, so we did ND/SD in September. We have no desire to go back to either. We're doing WY/ID/MT in July and will only have 2 more states left after that. Now that I think of it, it hasn't even been 3 years since we decided to visit all 50 states and we've done 45 of them already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been there, seen what there is to see, and really have no desire or reason to go back.
Exactly!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
I chose option 2, but there also wasn't a category that clearly defined my intent, either.

I do plan to visit ND sometime soon, and that trip will include a visit to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. The reason I selected option 2 is that I don't really know what else I will see when I go.

I have visited Montana and South Dakota already, but I eagerly look forward to going back to both of them as well. Since I have never visited eastern Montana, I would someday like to go there. As far as South Dakota is concerned, I've really only seen the Black Hills, so I would like to see a lot more there, too. I will probably also add Minnesota to the itinerary, too, since I've also never been there, and would love to see it.

These states are in my plan for a summer road trip in the next few years, though I don't know really when I'll take that route. There are a lot of other places I'd also like to go that are competing for my time.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM

19,199 posts, read 8,986,451 times
My hubby has made several trips, to ND, ice fishing. We eloped, to New Rockford, to get married. Took wedding pics on the foot bridge, on the James River. Traveling to Devil's Lake, for a wedding, this summer.

ETA: been up there enough times I don't need a map, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or