U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM

668 posts, read 2,460,582 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of going to Iceland for a family summer vacation. Has anyone been there? Any must sees? We enjoy hiking, national parks, sightseeing etc..(Kids are elementary school aged). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
We are thinking of going to Iceland for a family summer vacation. Has anyone been there? Any must sees? We enjoy hiking, national parks, sightseeing etc..(Kids are elementary school aged). Thanks!
I think that it is an excellent choice as the Icelandic currency has devalued this year making prices more affordable. Also, during the summer months, the days are upwards of 18+ hours which gives you plenty of opportunities for long hikes and the like.

We had planned to head to Iceland about 10 years ago when we saw a 3 day/ 2 night package out of BWI for $299 ... until we realized that Iceland received three hours of daylight in February.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,460,582 times
Actually, we have done a fair share of traveling in the US, and have loved every minute of it (Only state I haven't been to is Alaska, my husband has been there on a fishing trip though). Been to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Niagra, Rocky Mtns. Hawaii, Redwoods, Seattle, Great Lakes etc. We are looking for something of a new adventure. We could stop in Iceland on the way to see family in the UK. Financially, if we were ever to go to Iceland, it seems like a good time. We live in New England, so the flight shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the imput.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times
I have wanted to visit Iceland for a very long time so I will be interested to read your posts when you come back and tell us all about it. Anyway, I don't mean to sound condescending but have you looked at Icelandair's website? They have several package tours available that sound really good (Cheap flight package deals to Reykjavik and other cities in Europe. Flights, hotels, adventure or luxury. The choice is yours.). Check them out and see what you think.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,115,794 times
You have a great idea and I look forward to hearing about your trip. Lucky kids!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,049,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
We are looking for something of a new adventure. We could stop in Iceland on the way to see family in the UK.
Now there is a good reason to go then !!!
From your first post, it seemed like *just see Iceland*.

Have a fun trip !

Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,577,532 times
Everyone I have heard from that has gone to Iceland has been floored by it and I'd like to go. With the currency being devalued I'd consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel