U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,323,640 times

Advertisements

I carry Quaker chewy granola bars with me. An entire box fits sideways in a regular sandwich-sized ziploc bag, and they do not get damaged if they get smashed. Great for snacks in the terminal, and sufficient enough that I can always keep a few in reserve just in case my plane gets stranded on the tarmac for an hour or twelve.

Bottom line though is, adjusted for inflation, and adding the cost of the flight, the luggage, the food, and anything else, we are still paying less for air travel than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM

17,524 posts, read 21,401,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is nothing to keep you from carrying an EMPTY bottle through security. My wife does that all the time.
I have done that, and I try to remember to bring an empty, but I've done this when I forgot to pack one.

It's just the principle of the whole thing. Paying $2-3 for a bottle of water makes me want to puke!

And, what is the big deal anyway? You make it sound like I fished an unfinished burrito or hamburger out of the trash and ate it! Please!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,589,105 times
um, has anyone tried asking various stores for a cup of ice water? I work at O'Hare and never hesitate to ask the folks at Starbucks for a cup of water. sure it's tap, but it's free. granted, I don't know if, as an airport employee, they're more accommodating to me or if regular passengers can do the same, but it may not hurt to ask (or even ask for an empty cup/cup of ice and head to a water fountain). I personally wouldn't go digging through the trash at the airport (esp. after seeing, on far more than one occasion, women tossing dirty diapers in these trash cans. then there's the vomit, soiled puppy pads, and other nastiness I wouldn't trust the cheap bathroom soap to remove)

Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,998,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
um, has anyone tried asking various stores for a cup of ice water? I work at O'Hare and never hesitate to ask the folks at Starbucks for a cup of water. sure it's tap, but it's free. granted, I don't know if, as an airport employee, they're more accommodating to me or if regular passengers can do the same, but it may not hurt to ask (or even ask for an empty cup/cup of ice and head to a water fountain). I personally wouldn't go digging through the trash at the airport (esp. after seeing, on far more than one occasion, women tossing dirty diapers in these trash cans. then there's the vomit, soiled puppy pads, and other nastiness I wouldn't trust the cheap bathroom soap to remove)
That doesn't do you any good on the plane. I drink litres of water on flights.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,673,475 times
If you can't afford it, don't buy

Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM

111 posts, read 401,296 times
At Indianapolis, the airport can't charge anymore than the same restaurant would charge away from the airport. The only additional charge you have is you'll pay 8% sales tax there instead of 7% sales tax because they use that money to pay for the new terminal and the new stadium also. I do know that a lot of airports have ridiculous prices. For instance, a $5 pepsi in Vegas, a saw a $12 cheeseburger someplace, but can't remember where and from what I saw of it, it made a McDonald's cheeseburger look like a gourmet meal.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 PM

8,382 posts, read 11,213,945 times
The best and most reasonable airport food I've had was,believe it or not,in Orlando. I had a Cuban plate that was actually memorable for about $8. The Starbucks at LAX used to sell chicken caesar salads that I would take on the plane to avoid the airline food. They took about three hours to eat.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 8,866,635 times
This past winter while passing through Chicago-Midway we spent like $22 on two slices and pizza and a bottle of water. To top if off, it was the WORST pizza I've ever had! It tasted like ketchup on a soggy biscuit.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,315,242 times
I rarely buy anything at airports, because I try to distract myself on my laptop. This past weekend, I flew to Oregon, and got shaky on the plane (blood sugar), so I was forced to buy something. I paid $2 for a bag of pretzels, and I was HAPPY to do it.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Are the rents for stores so much higher in airports that they have to put up the prices? Or is it just that they think they have a captive audience who will have to pay if they get hungry enough? I usually load up on granola bars in my carry-on and just splurge on a bottle of water.
Exactly...ever since 9/11, these markets in the airports have raised the prices since the have a captive market. I try to bring some trial mix or granola bars in my carry on and buy a $3 bottle of water there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel