U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,491,381 times

Advertisements

if in a carrier you body weight can crush the kid as well

and the #1 cause of injury to anyone on a plane is bumping around (well, injury not tied to actual normal medical conditions that just happen to occur on a plane or are made more serious due to flying conditions such as blood clotting)

i appreciate your guys concern and am not unaware of any potential issues - however when put through a risk analysis i just don't see much benefit to it

this debate has been going on for at least 20 years and will probably go on into the foreseable future

is it the "best" practice - sure ....... it is worth the implimentation when everything is considered? - that's your debate right there

injuries where a car seat would of made a difference are rare enough where studies have shown that forcing their implementation would end up in more injured infants - because of the percentage of people who would then end up driving rather than flying and the higher risk of road exposures even with a car seat would statistically result in more injuries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM

99 posts, read 352,058 times
Don't every check a car seat in with your luggage. It could get cracked and ruined and you wouldn't even know. Just as if it was in a car accident and those have to be replaced. If you must (which I am so against) fly your baby without it's seat please gate check it. We used a bag for my sons booster seat and it worked great just rolled through the airport.

Amazon.com: Rover Gear Westport Car Seat Travel Bag, Black: Baby

I got ours a different site cheaper, and there are cheaper ones than this but this was really heavy duty material.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,619,742 times
Yikes...this thread has taken a weird turn.

But to get back to the original question. Do not check your car seat with your other bags. Bring it to the gate, ask the gate agent if there are any open seats (in which case you may be able to put your baby in the seat on the plane) and if there are not any available seats, ask for a baggage tag and drop the seat off in the jetway where people check their strollers. The load master takes all of that baggage below and puts it in an area towards the front of the plane that when you land, it will get brought back up and placed in the jetway. When you check your car seat in with your luggage, the chances of it getting banged around are much higher than if you bring it to the gate and put in the jetway. Same for strollers. No big deal...we do it all of the time.

But I will agree with other posters about babies on laps. Not just for the "the plane may crash" theories, but also for you and your baby's comfort. We always get a seat for our children but last year, we had to fly home for my grandfather's funeral and couldn't afford the cost of tickets. We decided to carry our youngest on our lap. She was uncomfortable, I was uncomfortable. By the time we arrived, she had leaked through her diaper (onto my pants), I had mashed crumbs of Teddy Grahams on my shirt, my clothes were a wrinkled mess and we were all irritable. Getting a seat for your child may cost more but the price is usually worth it. The only reason we didn't get a ticket for the funeral was that the normal cost of seats (about $300 roundtrip) was more than $1000. Honestly, by the time we arrived, I would have probably plunked down my credit card and paid the $1000. Everyone needs space and don't forget that the person in front of you has the right to recline their seat and under normal circumstances, that eliminates a lot of room for the person behind them...not including the room you need to hold your baby on your lap. You can't expect people to show courtesy just because you want to carry your child on your lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel