U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times

Advertisements

My wife will be flying with our 5 month old and I had a random question about checking the car seat.

We plan on checking the seat and attached base as the baby will be flying "in arms".

I've seen garbage bags used in the past to help prevent them from getting banged up - however it always seemed a little odd - now that I own one I don't want it to get to marked and am not sure the best methods of doing so

any tips and tricks to checking a car seat or flying with a baby in general?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
My wife will be flying with our 5 month old and I had a random question about checking the car seat.

We plan on checking the seat and attached base as the baby will be flying "in arms".

I've seen garbage bags used in the past to help prevent them from getting banged up - however it always seemed a little odd - now that I own one I don't want it to get to marked and am not sure the best methods of doing so

any tips and tricks to checking a car seat or flying with a baby in general?

thanks
You could throw yours in a plastic bag, but they also usually have bags at the check-in desk, that is all we do. We have a cheaper seat that we haul along on our trips and it has made it so far. All in all, those things are a pain in the butt to travel with.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,743,432 times
I have to ask this.....

Would you think about riding in a car at 65mph while holding a baby in your arms? Did you answer no, I love my baby too much to be that stupid?

Then why on Earth would you even consider hurtling through the air at 600 MPH while holding a baby in your arms?

Do you love $300 dollars more than you love your baby?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I have to ask this.....

Would you think about riding in a car at 65mph while holding a baby in your arms? Did you answer no, I love my baby too much to be that stupid?

Then why on Earth would you even consider hurtling through the air at 600 MPH while holding a baby in your arms?

Do you love $300 dollars more than you love your baby?
Will a rear facing car seat even fit in a regular airplane seat?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM

when the plane crashes at 600mph they're all dead anyway - plane crashes are very, very rare - not too many instances where a car seat would make much difference - if you look at the historical information on commercial airplane incidents you'll notice two things - the minority of them happen domestically and when they do happen (here or elsewhere) the results are either some minor injures where everyone survived or a major crash where all died

and yes, the seats do fit

Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 PM

I guess the answer is that you love $300 more than you love your baby.

I was talking about rejected takeoffs, turbulence, hard landings, and runway over runs. All of which are minor incidents until an unrestrained infant becomes a projectile.

You also don't have to spout crash statistics to me. I work for an airline.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 PM

then you should know better

i've yet to ever see a projectile anything on a flight and have been in everything you mentioned except a runway over run .... i have been involved in having my planes wing clip the rear of another plane while on the runway though

impacts/force on planes just aren't that great - the physics are just completely different than that of an auto ..... i'm 100% more concerned about having some idiot driver jump a curb and kill us while on a family walk than I am of being in an incident where a restaint would of done a single bit of good on a plane

you can save your rhetoric - the opinion of raiders don't carry much weight anyway

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM

I don't need to say anymore. Your money grubbing smugness says it all. I bet that you would be the first on to sue when something did happen.

The Raiders also happen to be a high school football team in Ohio.

Airlines: Please Stop Allowing the "Lap Child" | The Vacation Gals

Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 PM

hey - you actually made the comments for that piece - congrats

i can see why you would be vested - with airlines losing money hand over fist you want to squeeze out any dime you can - especially if it's tied "for my safety" or worse yet "for my childrens safety"

is there a hazard? - of course

is it one I'm realistically concerned about - not at all

Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Finger Laker, the number one cause of injury to infants during air travel is from being bumped around (most minor, some major, and a small number deadly) when the person holding the child also is bumped around. Most are from air turbulance with little warning. Also in the event of an emergency, its very difficult to protect the child in your arms. If you must check the baby seat, seriously think about some form of front baby carrier or harlness that would prevent the baby from breaking contact with you if something should happen. The baby seat is the best option with arm holdiong the worst, so try to come to middle ground if you can't afford the extra seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel