U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,276,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgil77 View Post
The Cajon Pass/Summit on 1-15 outside of Victorville, CA. It connects Los Angeles to the midwest, south, and Las Vegas. If you are coming to California from Kansas or midwest (no matter which route you go) you eventually end up on here. It is a very steep downgrade that lasts for 12 miles to the 15/215 interchange. IT SUCKS. I was not prepared for it as I had researched all the other downgrades, but overlooked this one. If you plan on driving form to Las Vegas from California, you cannot avoid this. It freaked me out. Cars were passing me left and right going at least 75-80 mph. I refuse to drive it again.Either I am a passenger in the car or I fly when I go to Vegas. It is a steep downgrade and while I am sure there are others that are even steeper, this downgrade last for 12 miles you are descending for 10-15 minutes. Uggh!!
For a driver hitting this stretch for the first time unprepared it can indeed be a harrowing experience, even more so at night or in bad weather. During my lifetime have likely driven it a couple of hundred times, but even after all these years still get a sense of unease, and am at peak alert just before hitting the summit. Have driven it in rain, snow, fog, and high wind, and have been stuck several times due to a crash ahead of me, once for several hours. Have found that the safest and best drive is in the #2 lane, get in it and stay there. However, when all is said and done, the vast majority of trips through Cajon will be uneventful. There are people that live in the Victorville area that commute to jobs that require them to drive the roundtrip down and back through Cajon five times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,924 times
Highway 14A in Wyoming is a solid 10% grade and in some spots even steeper according to acceleration while descending in low gear I must apply more brake to stop increased acceleration. the road closes in mid November or earlier if weather causes undo hardship on clearing the road. Cooling your brakes is a must while going down or they will burn! Use low gear is best advice! As far as Interstate Highway I-90 coming down into Butte Montana is a steep one. The I84 down into Pendleton is a steep and pretty one as well but neither of them is beyond 7% grade which as earlier posts mention must be the Interstate set limit!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM

46 posts, read 58,098 times
The Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne, 7% Grade all the way.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,499 times
I-40 coming east from Asheville NC across the Blue Ridge Mtn is a 6% for 3 miles with very tight curves

Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM

9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
Teton Pass west of Jackson, WY is a 10% grade up and down (both sides of the pass). While not an interstate, it's a heavily traveled highway.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 PM

6,540 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
That is one of the most amazing drives on an interstate that I've seen. Seeing the transition in topography from high alpine terrain and poderosa pines all the way down to the low desert valleys covered in Saguaro cactuses is amazing. I think one could coast from Flagstaff all the way down to Phoenix.
I just drove west out of Flagstaff on I-40 going down slope toward Kingman with road construction and lots of traffic. Interesting - lots of trucks. I recall a stretch of I-40 in eastern TN going east to Chattanooga (Cumberland Plateau?) that was a little scary. Going west down hill on I-70 out of the Eisenhower Tunnel a car in front of us had a blowout and careened across four lanes and came to a stop on the shoulder without a mishap....a miracle.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 10,427 times
Outside your question perameters but highway 15 in British Columbia between transcanada-1 & Blaine wa truck crossing is 10% grade both directions on a truck route. Very short but steepest truck route ive seen.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbigpink View Post
Although certainly not a plaque carrying expert, I have worked in the industry. My UNDERSTANDING is 7% grade is the maximum allowed in the US Interstate System, since it was originally conceived with military implications. We them here in Colorado too. Does anybody know anything to the contrary? Other types of roads and highways may not be so strictly regulated.
That's my understanding too. I've been on the Sandstone WVA interstate which is 7% and the Black Mt. NC interstate which is I think 6%. Both are straight and imo not that scary unless it's rainy or you're in front of an 18-wheeler or RV-pulling tourist. Neither of which imo should be allowed on grades that steep.

On the other hand, US 550 between Durango and Ouray CO might not have that steep a grade but dang my life flashed before my eyes, over and over and over again. And that was on a clear, dry day, without any large vehicles around. Not to insult veterans, but ever since I have something akin to PTSD in that I freak out now when I get on high, curvy roads without guard rails. Prior to driving 550, I had never been much bothered by such.
I'm pretty sure there are other US highways and secondary roads that are equally/more scary. But that's another thread.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 AM

533 posts, read 470,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oDIN316 View Post
Highway 14A in Wyoming is a solid 10% grade and in some spots even steeper according to acceleration while descending in low gear I must apply more brake to stop increased acceleration. the road closes in mid November or earlier if weather causes undo hardship on clearing the road. Cooling your brakes is a must while going down or they will burn! Use low gear is best advice! As far as Interstate Highway I-90 coming down into Butte Montana is a steep one. The I84 down into Pendleton is a steep and pretty one as well but neither of them is beyond 7% grade which as earlier posts mention must be the Interstate set limit!
Drove 14A and 90 through Butte a few weeks ago. 14A was a spectacular drive, though my fiance who has a slight fear of heights was not as awestruck as I was.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

147 posts, read 236,570 times
Interstate Highways:

I-70 Westbound Vail Pass: 7% for 8 miles
I-5 Northbound Grapevine: 6% for 5 miles (lost my brakes on this one once)
I-5 Northbound Siskiyou Summit: 6% for 7 miles (cooked my brakes on this one as well)
I-24 Eastbound Monteagle: 6% for 4 miles
I-80 Westbound into Salt Lake: Up to 6% for 10 miles
I-80 Westbound Donner Summit: Up to 6% with upgrades/downgrades for 40 miles. Not a fun drive when chains are required.
I-15 Southbound Cajon Summit: Initial Grade is 6% for 4 miles, then flattens out a bit. Total length of the grade is 12 miles.
I-15 Northbound Mountain Pass Towards Las Vegas: 6% for 10 miles
I-17 Southbound leaving Flagstaff: 6% for 13 miles
I-580 Westbound Altamont Pass: 6-8% for about 3 miles. Not a long grade but steep with heavy traffic volumes. Brake Check Areas for Trucks in both directions.
There are a lot of other steep downgrades but these are some of the more notable ones that I've driven.

Non-Interstate Highways:

CA Hwy. 108 Sonora Pass: 26% for a brief stretch-Highway is closed during the winter. Not recommended for vehicles over 25 ft. in length. Narrow road with sharp curves.
CA Hwy. 4 Ebbetts Pass: 24% Grades-Highway is closed during the winter. They are not kidding when they say "Vehicles over 25 ft. Not Advised." It is a one and a half lane road with no center line and not much of a shoulder.
CA Hwy. 330 Heading towards Redlands: 6% for 13-15 miles. You will drop from over 6,000 ft. in elevation down to less than 2,000 ft. in elevation.
CA Hwy. 89 Southbound Monitor Pass: 6% for 10 miles-Highway is closed during the winter.
US 395 Southbound Sherwin Summit: 6% Grade for 8 miles. Relatively straight and easy to drive but they still restrict trucks to 35 mph.
US 50 Eastbound Spooner Summit: 6% Grade for 7 miles heading into Carson City.
CA Hwy. 18 Westbound/Northbound Leaving Big Bear Lake Area: 8-16% Grades for 8 miles with switchback curves. Not a good road for trucks/trailers/RV's.
US 50 Echo Summit to Folsom: A lot of Upgrades/Downgrades with sharp curves near the summit. Most downgrades are short but are as steep as 7%. Traffic volumes can be heavy from Placerville down to Folsom.
OR Hwy. 58 Westbound Willamette Pass: 6% for 5 miles with curves. There is a runaway truck ramp on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or