U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_h View Post
Looking for Socially Conscious Adventurers

I want to go on a great adventure by bicycle across South Asia. I also want to make a difference somehow in this world where there are so many people living under awful conditions. I know that with the right group of like-minded people we can make this journey to raise funds for children living in poverty in South Asia. I am looking for motivated adventurers to be my partners in this, people who care about doing something positive in this world, and also love to bike (it’s a long way people). Anyone is welcome to join, and there are also some specific skills I am looking for in a few people: camera person, bicycle technician, and computer savvy individuals. The people already involved are passionate, fun, sweet, creative, and real adventurous.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an interest in this idea, to organize a meeting and do some brainstorming.
I have done bicycle adventures in Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, Spain, and Bolivia. I feel compelled to do another. This sounds like a great idea. Please contact me if you want to discuss further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM

148 posts, read 796,427 times
When do you plan on taking this trip? I may be interested for something like this but maybe only in a few months from now as I am wrapping up my final year of university at the moment and the following months will be dedicated to paying off my student loan.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Hi Jules,
Just read your posting, and not sure if I'm too late and you're already well along your journey but I'm looking to do exactly what you've described.

Let me know if it happened or it's about to happen and I would definitely consider going with you. Allthough, I do not have amazing photography skills or can I take care of bike maintenance..I do have some pretty good computer skills.

Let me know!

Thanks,
S.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Default would love to join!

Hey Jules,

I was searching the internet when I came across your south asian bike adventure. I was gonna work in India with Indicorps but everything fell through and I've biked across america...i would love to join you on a fundraising bike trip through india..that sounds awesome..i gotta say my legs are a littleout of practice though. Can't wait to hear from you

Nins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_h View Post
Looking for Socially Conscious Adventurers

I want to go on a great adventure by bicycle across South Asia. I also want to make a difference somehow in this world where there are so many people living under awful conditions. I know that with the right group of like-minded people we can make this journey to raise funds for children living in poverty in South Asia. I am looking for motivated adventurers to be my partners in this, people who care about doing something positive in this world, and also love to bike (itís a long way people). Anyone is welcome to join, and there are also some specific skills I am looking for in a few people: camera person, bicycle technician, and computer savvy individuals. The people already involved are passionate, fun, sweet, creative, and real adventurous.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an interest in this idea, to organize a meeting and do some brainstorming.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM

5,729 posts, read 8,638,265 times
I was born and raised in India and here is my $0.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Have you ever been to India before? It's not Europe. People don't ride bicycles around the country. This is not something I would advise.
Bicycles are extremely common in India, actually they are the primary form of transportation for many especially in rural India.

The trip sounds like a great adventure however I do echo some of Paddington's concern. Travelling outside of urban areas as a foreigner has some risks. I would strongly suggest enlisting some Indian friends to join you so they know the local language and customs.

Also I hope you realize that India's terrain is extremely rugged and not flat. There are rainforests and mountains to pass through and the road infrastructure is dismal. You will require a good deal of planning.

India has advanced in the last 5-7yrs due to the huge influx of American capital and also culture so this type of trip now is easier than in the past. Kudos to you for chasing your dreams Hope you have a great time!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,600,772 times
You must read Dervla Murphy's books, specifically Full Tilt. It's all about her Bicycle trip from Ireland to India. She also is a member of Sustrans, which is a bicycle only international group. Good Luck, keep a great journal then write a book about it!
Dervla Murphy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!-leighland

Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM

495 posts, read 2,086,553 times
Many of the highways in India are narrow with no shoulders and the bigger vehicle always seems to have the right away.

I took a bus in 1990 from Jaipaur to Agra and the number of wrecks I saw was amazing.

I think to ride a bycycle on these highways would be very dangerous.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
is this trip still in the making? My boyfriend and I are planning a bike trip there too in Feb-April time. He's a photographer, we both teach outdoor ed. Oh yeah, he lives in Bangalore and has done a loop of the country by motorbike...it can be done Let me know if you have any info and if this trip is still happening!!
ellie
Seattle, WA

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Default Bicycling India

I was very interested to read about your thoughts and comments from others. I led a international team bicycling from tip of India to New Dehli, 2,000 miles in 6 weeks. The core group was one Canadian and 2 from USA. We rotated in 2 Indian riders every week and had a support vehicle. 100 km (62 miles) ave. per day. We had no injuries despite a few falls. No illness and only 4 flats. We found local accommodations and food along the way. I must say we were very fortunate. So it can be done! Get to know each other on the team and plan. We raised funds for charitable village hospital. We did this Jan. Feb of 07. See blog. [url=http://www.bicycleindia2007.blogspot.com]Bicycle India 2007[/url].

Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,404,387 times
Default Huge set of stones on the OP.

Huge set of stones on the OP. If I want to do something socially conscious or feel good about my actions I will go out and buy a florescent bulb or recycle a plastic bottle. Maybe eat some organic fruit. All the best on your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel