U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 02:41 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,556,125 times

Advertisements

Considering travel this summer to central Wisconsin. There are 8 or 9 possible airports in the state. The nearest to where I'd like to travel is Mosinee. The other two I'm considering are Appleton and Milwaukee.

Does anyone have any input on the airports in Wisconsin, and the availability of car rental at the various airports? I'm thinking that going to a larger city, like Milwaukee or Chicago, would be a pain in the neck to get out of, because of the increased traffic. But the airfare would also seem to be cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,241,555 times
Air fares into smaller cities/airports are much of the time more expensive then flying into a large place like Chicago or Milwaukee because you will most likely have to connect and prices are just higher due to the market. Traffic out of Milwaukee wont be bad at all. As for Chicago as long as you are not going out during rush hour it should be fine too.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,445,816 times
Yeah, don't worry too much about Milwaukee traffic. Even rush hour really isn't as terrible as it is other places. Chicago traffic can be awful but if you avoid rush hour like FlyMIA suggested you should be alright.
I can't speak for the Chicago airport, but in Milwaukee you won't have much of a problem finding a rental car.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,556,125 times
O'Hare would no doubt have rental cars. I was referring to whether or not the smaller airports in Wisconsin would have them.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 AM

9,293 posts, read 9,369,703 times
I rented a car in Milwaukee two years ago and for the life of me couldn't get a rate lower than $40 a day for even a subcompact car. I realize that rental car rates have gone up in the last few years, but it was just ridiculous. Prices are no better in Madison. I checked those out too before making my decision to fly through Milwaukee. Unless you want to pay a fortune for a flight, I seriously wouldn't consider flights to any other cities in Wisconsin than Milwaukee or Madison. My sister sometimes flies through Central Wisconsin Airport near Wausau, but its a very small airport that only accommodates the smaller airplanes and the flights are very pricey.

The reason that several posters here have suggested Chicago as an alternative destination is simply because of the geography. If you look at a map, you'll see that Milwaukee and Chicago are less than a 100 miles apart.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:26 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,993,173 times
I'd do Milwaukee as connections are usually expensive. CHicago OHare and Minneapolis could be considered as well. Shouldnt have a problem w rental cars either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel