U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

13,789 posts, read 7,323,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
We went to St. Lucia last summer....It was pretty...but I wouldn't go back.
Everything is too spread out...over 2 hour ride to most hotels from the airport, The mosquito's are REALLY bad!
The people were not friendly at all.....except for my Dive master (but he was Jamaican).
Can someone recommend a great family destination that has good diving that does not have a large mosquito population ?
Check out St Bart's (St Barth, St Barthelemy)...

St. Barts, St Barts, St Barths, St. Barth, Saint Barthelemy, French West Indies

or Barbados...(terrific historical tours for the family too)

! Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia - Official site of the Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,040,485 times
For snorkeling: Ambergris Caye, Belize. Also has great stingray and nurse sharks and local atmosphere
For All-Inclusive fun: Playa del Carmen
Also highly recommend the Pacific coast of Costa Rica-so close to the equator the water is as warm as the Carribbean side, slightly different types of underwater life,plus you can visit rainforests,pottery villages, and an active volcano and STILL go back to visit the Carribbean side (hope to return next year)

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times
my favorite : Jamaica!

I've been to : Jamaica, Pueto Rico, The Bahamas, and I need to go to a lot more!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:58 PM

279 posts, read 1,262,008 times
ARUBA!!! Hands Down.

We have also been to Bahamas (It's OK); St. Lucia (very relaxing), Puerto Rico (very fun) and Trinidad and Tobago ( Tobago was nice).

Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM

232 posts, read 931,234 times
Does anyone recommend Cancun ? The rest of the family is interested in Mexico....Pyramids and all...I am looking for diving and great beaches. How's te diving in Cancun ?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
Does anyone recommend Cancun ? The rest of the family is interested in Mexico....Pyramids and all...I am looking for diving and great beaches. How's te diving in Cancun ?
i totally forgot to mention that we went to Cancun also. we went there last year actually and it was fun. The weather kinda sucked...it was very humid and rained every day. We didn't do the huge bar hopping scene that Cancun is famous for but I was pregnant so we couldn't do it

But Cancun is nice so definitely go there. We didn't do the pyramid touring which I hear is very nice. More than Cancun, I hear that Playa Del Carmen is nicer.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
My favorite is probably Curacao, which is a tiny little Caribbean gem... not a whole lot to DO there, but it's beautiful, clean, quiet, and the people seemed incredibly friendly. I also really like Cayman Island for the same reasons, and St. Marten for the awesome shopping.

I've been to the following islands: Aruba, Curacao, Cayman Island, Bahamas (including Paradise Island), St. Marten, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Jamaica, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia, and possibly a few others I'm forgetting. And I don't know if they count, but I've also been all around the Caribbean side of Mexico, and a few spots in Central America. My family used to go on a cruise every winter, so we've covered a lot!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:31 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
i totally forgot to mention that we went to Cancun also. we went there last year actually and it was fun. The weather kinda sucked...it was very humid and rained every day. We didn't do the huge bar hopping scene that Cancun is famous for but I was pregnant so we couldn't do it

But Cancun is nice so definitely go there. We didn't do the pyramid touring which I hear is very nice. More than Cancun, I hear that Playa Del Carmen is nicer.
Yes, I'd agree that Playa del Carmen is a bit nicer... sorry, but I actually hated Cancun, because it was so darned touristy. As I said while there, "you may as well be in Miami", because that's how it felt to me! I'm sure the ruins are incredible (we didn't have time to see them), but I'd consider staying in a smaller/more rural town over Cancun. Honestly, I prefer the western side of Mexico over the Caribbean side - my favorite towns are probably Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I'd agree that Playa del Carmen is a bit nicer... sorry, but I actually hated Cancun, because it was so darned touristy. As I said while there, "you may as well be in Miami", because that's how it felt to me! I'm sure the ruins are incredible (we didn't have time to see them), but I'd consider staying in a smaller/more rural town over Cancun. Honestly, I prefer the western side of Mexico over the Caribbean side - my favorite towns are probably Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.
Forgot about going to Cabo San Lucas also!! Geez...my memory is terrible since having this kid. IT WAS HOT!!! The ocean was unswimmable which kinda sucked. I liked it though and probably would return but my husband wasn't that thrilled with Cabo. I actually prefer the Caribbean side over the Mexican side. I think the water is prettier and calmer. To each his own.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,531,536 times
I thought St. Maarten was pretty dirty...granted I didn't see the entire thing but what I did see was pretty grotty.

St. Thomas was just OK.

The Bahamas were OK as well.

My dream is to live in the Caribbean someday but I don't know which island...

From what people are saying St. John is coming up with alot of good votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or