U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,796,810 times

Advertisements

Haven't run across them personally, and I've been checking beds in motels for a couple of years now.

A year ago on a business trip, my companion found them in her room where we were staying...in a state park lodge.

Ewww, ewww, ewww!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 AM

9,604 posts, read 17,221,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We saw the little rust colored marks in a hostel in Laos, and I ended up with a 3 bite pattern on my stomach.

When we got home we put our backpacks in the oven on low heat to ensure no guests.
Another thing you can do that I've heard of is to take all your things and put them in a black trash bag and lay it in the sun for several hours. One thing I'm wondering though--did you see the rust colored marks before or after you spent the night, and did you spend the night anywhere else? If you did, that place may have them now.

VG, I haven't heard of a bedbug report but I'll be looking that up.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times
Motel 6 in DC. My fault for choosing a cheap hotel ($90/night). Miserable experience.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,796,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Motel 6 in DC. My fault for choosing a cheap hotel ($90/night). Miserable experience.

Unfortunately, cheap doesn't have anything to do with it. Check out some of the places that have reported them...you'll see 4 and 5 star places on the list.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,175,682 times
Never saw bed bugs, but I did find a tick once. I put it in a baggy and gave it to the front desk person, and said they could have their "friend" back!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,921,516 times
Yup, I have been to a hotel that had 'em. This is what is considered a 4 star, very high end property. Woke up in the morning bitten all over my arms..at first I thought it was a rash until I recognized the symptoms.

The manager of the hotel was extremely "concerned" of course, and said it would be taken care of "at once". Hmmm...no way of following up, but I wonder. Needless to say, I avoid that lay-over like the plague (literally! LOL) and warn all my flight crew pals too. All it takes is once to be militant in checking under the mattresses, pillows, etc.

Be aware...always check your bed before you hop in.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM

367 posts, read 954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
$90 for a Motel 6!? Wow. The hotel may have been cheap, but your rates were anything but.

I travel a lot and never pay more than $75 for a 3-star (Holiday inn/Doubletree/Marriots etc.)
Try Hotwire or Priceline next trip.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM

9,604 posts, read 17,221,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Be aware...always check your bed before you hop in.
Yes, and glad I am that I do. I found evidence of them in a hotel in Peru. My daughter felt terrible about leaving and was worried that we'd hurt the lady's feelings but I told her that it wouldn't be worth it to stay and get bb and save her feelings. One thing I'm still a bit unsure about though is whether I should mention it if I decide not to stay. In this case there was a language difficulty and it was getting late and I was afraid she'd try to tell us it was from some other cause, so I kept my mouth shut, but I do wonder.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 PM

12,073 posts, read 16,812,927 times
I actually got them in a hostel in Iceland- it was so strange. I managed to get 2 or 3 and they went home with me. I went off another study abroad program a month later, and when I got back, no sign of them. I know they can live a year but it think they just died off.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM

530 posts, read 2,595,217 times
My wife and I had a horrible bedbug experience 5 summers ago. We stayed at a hotel in Jersey for the weekend, and a couple of days after we got back home to NYC I noticed some really bad mosquito bites (at least that's what I thought they were). They just kept getting worse and worse and I'd get new ones everyday. Well obviously I realized they weren't mosquito bites after a while and went to a dermatologist who suggested bedbugs. We did a thorough search in our bedroom and were able to see them. I had transported them from the hotel that we stayed at.

They aren't THAT hard to find, and I should point out that in our case they didn't really nest in the mattress, but rather the bed frame. Anyway, it was a nightmare for a month or so. We tried everything to get rid of them. Going to bed each night was so depressing because I knew they would be feasting on me in just a few hours. Oddly they didn't bite my wife or maybe she didn't react to them. Eventually we slept covered from head to toe in clothing--I should point out this was in the middle of the summer.

Ultimately the problem seemed to get better and we thought we were finally out of the woods in the fall when we moved to a new apartment in New Jersey. The bites went away and all was fine for the first month or so. Then, one morning we were lying in bed and looked up at the ceiling and could see something. I stood on the bed and sure enough, it was a bedbug. We were devestated and thought we must have transported them to our new apartment. We had the place fumigated and fortunately never saw another one and never got any new bites. But to this day I still worry they will return!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel