U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,833,877 times

Advertisements

There are some unbelievable stories about how bad the bed bugs are getting, not only in hotels, motels, but in theaters, clothing stores and elsewhere. You canít get away from them even in the higher scale locations, they are simply everywhere.

Iím going on a trip soon and have been hearing more about them in the news everyday. Today I saw some interesting video clips on the subject.

However the best of all I found a link about where they are ďif reportedĒ. Well itís a place you can check to see if anyone had reported them, but keep in mind not everyone knows about this website and thus not everyplace is on the list.

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Simply put in the name of a city and state to see a list of who has been reported! You need to see the list of Hotels for Las Vegas! It's an eye opener for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM

154 posts, read 167,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are some unbelievable stories about how bad the bed bugs are getting, not only in hotels, motels, but in theaters, clothing stores and elsewhere. You canít get away from them even in the higher scale locations, they are simply everywhere.

Iím going on a trip soon and have been hearing more about them in the news everyday. Today I saw some interesting video clips on the subject.

However the best of all I found a link about where they are ďif reportedĒ. Well itís a place you can check to see if anyone had reported them, but keep in mind not everyone knows about this website and thus not everyplace is on the list.

Simply put in the name of a city and state to see a list of who has been reported! You need to see the list of Hotels for Las Vegas! It's an eye opener for sure.

i have used that site before to book a hotel in New York, Boston, and currently San Francisco. The amount of hotels with reports around Union Sqaure is quite disturbing.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,833,877 times
Lightbulb .

The only problem with the link is that not everyone will report a problem because they don’t know about the link, so it goes unreported. And on the other side of the coin, some travelers might make a false report about a hotel they have an issue with. Thus the link is a tool to use to think about a hotel/motel location to stay at, but it’s not bullet proof. Travels needs to use common sense and good judgments about who and where they stay.

Most important is after you arrive at the hotel/motel room to check it out completely. You need to pull back the bedding sheets and look at the mattress,,,, checking the seams closely. Also check around the baseboards near the carpet area and in the corners of the walls. Avoid putting your luggage in the room until you check it out. You can put the luggage in the bathtub to avoid contact with the carpeted floor.

And remember - one room with bugs is not the entire hotel/motel, they do have other rooms.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM

9,603 posts, read 17,204,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The only problem with the link is that not everyone will report a problem because they donít know about the link, so it goes unreported. And on the other side of the coin, some travelers might make a false report about a hotel they have an issue with. Thus the link is a tool to use to think about a hotel/motel location to stay at, but itís not bullet proof. Travels needs to use common sense and good judgments about who and where they stay.

Most important is after you arrive at the hotel/motel room to check it out completely. You need to pull back the bedding sheets and look at the mattress,,,, checking the seams closely. Also check around the baseboards near the carpet area and in the corners of the walls. Avoid putting your luggage in the room until you check it out. You can put the luggage in the bathtub to avoid contact with the carpeted floor.

And remember - one room with bugs is not the entire hotel/motel, they do have other rooms.
When we did our RTW trip a few years ago, I checked every room we checked into and found evidence once. Also found evidence in Peru this summer. If you want to know what to look for, google image "bedbugs."

Another problem I see w/ the bedbug registry is that a place may check out clean but someone will bring them in the very next night. Or someone may report there were bb's, but the hotel gets right on it and cleans things up immediately and then they're on the registry for having a problem. I wouldn't rely on it. You're much better off checking things out for yourself.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,701,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
In the middle of this recession the exterminator business must be very good. There are even trained dogs that are said to be able to sniff out bedbugs with efficiency even when they are hidden behind walls. Have a reservation the end of the month in a hotel that is on the bedbug registry. Darned if I am going to cancel, will take my chances. Will though, insist on a room not on the floor that was listed as being buggy. We shall see. Itch? Itch? Scratch? Scratch?
I stopped staying in hotels and motels years ago when it was obvious most were hiring 3rd world housekeepers and kitchen crews and it was obvious where it was all headed. The last motel I stayed in was filthy but not cheap. There have been news stories on what is left in motel rooms between visitors, to increase profits for the owners, cold water and no or little soap is used to wash sheets or the sheets and blankets aren't washed at all between guests. Completely disgusting.

I also will not stay where dangerous chemicals are used to cover up the effects of filth and poor hygiene. If room are clean, there is no need for pesticides at all.

If people want to avoid sleeping in the germs, lice, bedbugs of others - get a tent or travel trailer and camp out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel