Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times

Advertisements

<scratch, scratch, scratch>

Gah, I'm itching all over now.

I had heard about this but didn't know how to check for the presence of them lil critters. Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna start checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I encountered them in some of the backpackers in Queensland Downunder.

I wonder if that means the phrase, 'don't let the bedbugs bite!' will come back into common usage?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
I've never run into them myself but in Uganda lots of the young volunteers who had to stay at cheaper hotels and hostels often ran into them. They can be really bad. One volunteer had big red blotches all over her legs.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 PM

274 posts, read 860,267 times
Venice, Italy (Lido Island in a hotel) Itchy, scratchy, heebie, hebe jeebies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
I got bitten 30+ times at a tourist trap bed and breakfast on Haight Street SF in 2006. Never having experienced them in the UK (although I'm sure there are cases here) I didn't realise what the red itchy lumps the first morning I saw them. The second morning I showed them to a Bay Area friend who told me what they were

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Just because one doesn't see them doesn't mean they aren't present!

They usually come out just before dawn, according to my research. And one feeding on you can suffice for days. They can go without feedings on your blood for 18 months. They live/hide in cracks in the wall, baseboards, drawers, behind picture frames, curtains, ceiling fans, books, and probably inside electronics. I found one while flipping thru a dictionary. Check books from used bookstores, flea mkts. and libraries for bugs.

At least you can see the adult ones. It's the nymphs (?) that are almost invisible?

Many times, people think the bumps are mosquito bites or pimples. By the time you realize what's going on, it's often too late, as the infestation has probably started.

The itching is so annoying.

Not everyone who gets bit will develop bite marks, supposedly. Females are more vulnerable for some reason. Two people in the same bed may have different experiences.

Then they get in your car...

The New York Times has good articles on the NYC infestation in the past 10 years.

Cincinnati has been esp. hard hit, as has Vancouver, Canada. With all the immigrants in Vancouver, that's not surprising (if it is true about immigrant as possibly transporting them. Actually, anyone who travels internationally should be careful.

It's very costly to treat, so many people may have to put up with it -- and do, for fear of being evicted. Landlords are supposed to pay for treatment, but may blame you instead. Good luck moving, as you'll bring them along. It takes multiple treatments oftentimes, and that's still not 100% effective with some cases.

Worse is the stigma, as you really can't tell friends or co-workers.

College dorms are vulnerable with all the moving in/out with used furniture.

DO not buy or pickup used furniture or bureaus. They hide in these crevices.

Some people have killed themselves over this problem.

Laundromats can be a site for bedbugs; after all, people brings bags of contaminated clothes...where do you think some stray bugs end up if not in the machine?

It's so overwhelming a problem. Even some dermatologists are still unfamiliar with it, so they'll diagnose the bites as something else.

You can have the bites and crazy itchiness, but not be able to find a bug, esp. in daylight.

At least cockroaches are easy to spot.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
I was just posting about these horrid little creatures in another thread and decided to read this one.
Yup, we had them here in PHX last year. No the managers would not spray for them!
And even doctors didn't know what they were at first.
When one doc finally told me what she thought they were we looked at the mattress and sure enough there was evidence.
We moved, I left ALL my furniture behind and washed everything else in hot water. havent had them since. (thank God)
You'll know if you have them when you seen the bumps on your skin always at the ankle area and arms. And it itches like carzy!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
A friend's daughter a couple years ago had just graduated from NYU and was moving into an appartment. The managment would only allow them to move in if they had all NEW furniture delivered right from the store. He didn't want to contend with the possibility of his building being infested. Anyone moving in had to have all new furniture.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
We saw the little rust colored marks in a hostel in Laos, and I ended up with a 3 bite pattern on my stomach.

When we got home we put our backpacks in the oven on low heat to ensure no guests.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Thanks to this thread! I have 5 upcoming hotel stays across the southeast.... I checked and the one in Norfolk VA had a bedbug report.
I cancelled that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel