U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Unfortunately the Israeli way involves a heavy dose of racial/ethnic profiling. My friend whose background is Indonesian worked for an Israeli software company and when she used to fly out of Jerusalem alone she would be subjected to criminal cross-examination. For example, they asked why a 32yo attractive woman like her was unmarried. It's definitely humiliating.
Israeli culture allows one in general to ask personal questions of anyone an Israeli meets. So it is perfectly acceptable in Israeli society/culture to ask an unmarried woman at age 32 why she isn't married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 AM

11 posts, read 20,129 times
I read all the posts and I must say it was quite fascinating. See, I know Israeli culture very well, I have lots of Israeli friends as I was spending lots of time in Israel. It's important for me to say that I was reading the posts from an anthropologist point of view since I used to believe too in many of the negative statements which I've been reading here, until I had the opportunity to get a closer look. For example, smokingGun said:

"Unfortunately the Israeli way involves a heavy dose of racial/ethnic profiling. My friend whose background is Indonesian worked for an Israeli software company and when she used to fly out of Jerusalem alone she would be subjected to criminal cross-examination. For example, they asked why a 32yo attractive woman like her was unmarried. It's definitely humiliating".

And I say that if you would have known Israeli culture well you would have thought of the possibility it was actually a compliment. Maybe it was their way to try and make her inconvenience less embarrassing and as for the fact she was Indonesian...Indonesia is a Muslim country and there is no other way but being careful, wouldn't you think? Not because she is a Muslim but because there is a true tension around.

Stepka said:

"The man pulled our group into a circle and asked some general questions and looked each of us carefully in the eye as we answered".

And I must tell you Stepka that Israelis look in the eyes, they are from
the Mediterranean. There are cultures which interpret looking in the eyes as an intimidation while for others it’s a normal way to communicate.

So you see, we all tend to interpret situations yet so many times we are mistaken simply because we don't have a true perspective.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 AM

11 posts, read 20,129 times
I have lived in Israel

Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evala View Post
I have lived in Israel
Well if you have lived in Israel then you will know that it is not a compliment to ask a woman why isn't married at age 32.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:16 PM

802 posts, read 2,609,633 times
Even if the policy is changed to the model everyone believes is perfect, nothing will change. The U.S had approximately 50 million visitors in 2008, Israel had 2.9 million in 2009. The U.S has 327 "OFFICIAL" ports of entry, Israel has 10 OFFICIAL.
Compare the size of the state of Israel to U.S states and the closest you get is New Jersey, the 5th SMALLEST state in the union.
It may make the gullible feel just a little bit safer, but in the grand scheme of things, the proposal is as useful as draining a bathtub with a sieve. Pointless waste of time, money and human resources. It's not better to do nothing, but it's worse to do the pointless and wasteful.

*** The quotes around the U.S, and lack of, in Israel official numbers are for obvious reasons.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,756 times
I am all for the Israeli way of doing security. Anything that forever dails the lid shut on the dangerous spector of political correctness and the risk it puts our lives in has my vote. Asking questions, sometimes questions designed to provoke an emotional response, and looking the questionee in the eyes as they answer is a tired and true police tactic to catch the bad guys and I see no reason not to use it at an airport as well. As for "profiling", which some people say like its a bad thing, I'm all fo it. We gender profile all the time. When there's a serial killer on the lose everyone always assumes its a male. You know why? Past history. Most of the times it IS a male so profiling is useful there. Of course, the terrorists are using women and children more and more so profiling should not be a substitute for thorough checks on everyone.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,873,644 times
I would not have an issue with this. I dont think the TSA are real effective. Most appear to have minimal skills, and are more interested in hassling attractive women. I'm for the full body scanners. Sounds like the Israelis do it like the customs agents at the border.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
I was once interviewed by Israeli security and they flat out asked me, "do you have any bombs?"

I appreciated their direct honesty. I'll take that any day over the TSA crap we have here.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 PM

807 posts, read 2,513,433 times
Would Israeli type airport security be far better then today's TSA? No question, it would. Could it ever be done here. Not likely. The people running the U.S. are just too P.C. to do it, plus most don't want to see the threats against the U.S. Nobody in Israel questions if there is a threat or not. Israel's security is based on reality and what happens when it fails, not like some joke that our security is. That's why we have shoe bombers, underwear bombers and they don't. They take it seriously, we don't. The security is no better then it was pre 9-11.

When 9-11 happened, for a few weeks after that, I thought maybe that the U.S. could finally put this P.C. nonsense behind us. I was dead wrong. It didn't go anywhere, in fact it has worsened. So even a huge event like 9-11 wasn't bad enough to change this attitude. I can't image the event that will have to occur to change this suicidal belief that offending someone is worse then a terrorist attack.

We go on and on on "profiling". And it hurts all, even those that are "profiled", because they will be suspected even more if they are treated with kid gloves. I don't see profiling as a problem, but I am not a person that would be profiled in airports. (the places I get "profiled" nobody cares about the profiling). I wish people who are in those groups that get profiled, would not feel personally offended by it. It's got to suck to be part of a ethic or religious group that is causing the world big problems at the moment. Maybe someday things will change and they wouldn't need to be profiled anymore. However since we aren't serious about these problems, they will remain problems for a long time.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I was once interviewed by Israeli security and they flat out asked me, "do you have any bombs?"
Does anybody ever answer "yes" to that question? I mean, I know some of the terrorists are stupid but I don't think they are THAT stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
When 9-11 happened, for a few weeks after that, I thought maybe that the U.S. could finally put this P.C. nonsense behind us. I was dead wrong. It didn't go anywhere, in fact it has worsened.
No kidding. Now Obama has told his staff not to use the words "Islam" and "Jihad" in security briefing when describing the... Islamic jihad going on against us. I still like their re-wording of terrorism to "man-caused disasters". rich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or