U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,144,766 times
Reputation: 2845

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
With that kind of an innate bias against customers (that, when they complain, they are just looking to get something for nothing), the hospitality industry is the last line of work with which you need to be involved
If the hotel industry is anything like retail, I dont blame her. Im suspicious of customers with complaints like yours. They always want something for free.

Its not just Granny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,159,527 times
Reputation: 16839
Personally I feel sorry for the boyfriend if the posts on this thread are any indication of how issues are dealt with. Condescending, cutting remarks for those who raise legitimate questions. The failure to admit that maybe, just maybe, she could be wrong in not hearing a knock. Kind of like a pitbull on a poodle; ruthless, mean and nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
 
3,107 posts, read 8,214,280 times
Reputation: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Personally I feel sorry for the boyfriend if the posts on this thread are any indication of how issues are dealt with. Condescending, cutting remarks for those who raise legitimate questions. The failure to admit that maybe, just maybe, she could be wrong in not hearing a knock. Kind of like a pitbull on a poodle; ruthless, mean and nasty.
That's what I was thinking, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM
 
Location: galaxy far far away
3,111 posts, read 4,557,194 times
Reputation: 7205
Well - before we request this thread is closed, I'll weigh in. I travel for a living, never worked for a hotel. Like Pacific Flights, I spend about 150 room nights in Hotels. The 1 AM thing would freak me out, yet -- there ARE in fact legitimate reasons for hotels to check on rooms. The night shift does exactly that. People trash hotel rooms and leave without paying, people have cots and things delivered that do need to be moved out before the room can be turned over to the next guests. Housekeeping staff at night often do room checks and cleanups - like carpet cleaning, duct cleaning, fixing locks, fixing plumbing. A lot of things go on in an industry that operates 24/7. I travel internationally, so I arrive at all sorts of odd hours, and i see the hotel is humming 24 hours a day. People checking in and out at all hours, too. There's a night shift for every department in some bigger hotels. So if they mistakenly had that your room was empty, they would most definitely have a reason to go in.

When I was 26, I didn't understand this industry either, so I can see why it bugs you. It's just lack of experience in travel. People on here ARE giving you good answers. No one called you a prostitute. Someone made a joke about fleabag hotels being the hourly type hotels. That wasn't reflecting on you.

One thing you need to understand about City Data Forum is that this really IS a community. People check in here all the time and help each other out. We respond to questions and complaints. We give recommendations. And for the most part (well, othern' the nuts down on the political and religious forums <grin> ) We're a pretty calm and collected bunch of people. Granny happens to be one of the most respected members of CD - so I'd appreciate you not attacking her (though she can take care of herself.) Those Reputation points over there on the right side DO mean something. It means this is a dedicated person who has helped a lot of people out. Everyone is welcome here. But you'll get a lot more help when you really need it if you're willing to show a little respect and gratitude that the people in the Village responded to the question you posted.

As for whether or not you broke a TOS rule - you did when you tried to name the motel. The Moderator cut that out. If you really were just posting to tattle on that motel, then that just won't fly here. But I hope you learned something and feel better about your concerns.

That being said, I WOULD recommend that you carry a portable door lock with you, especially as a female who may be in the room alone. I ALWAYS have one, even in the 5 star hotels. It's just good common sense. And if the 1 am thing happens again, a quick call to the front desk is in order immediately to check. There ARE criminals who go from room to room even in expensive hotels, trying the doors to see if they can get in. ALWAYS double lock the door. If there's no inside clasp, I've been known to put a chair up against the door in some places I've had to stay.

You don't have 100% control over the room. You are just renting it for a short period of time. it isn't an apartment. The laws are very different for room rentals in hotels. And the laws vary from state to state. Time to let it go. Your rights weren't violated. All is well. Now you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
 
162 posts, read 353,412 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
If the hotel industry is anything like retail, I dont blame her. Im suspicious of customers with complaints like yours. They always want something for free.

Its not just Granny.
Hmmmm...well, then, none of you should be in customer service-related jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 AM
 
162 posts, read 353,412 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Personally I feel sorry for the boyfriend if the posts on this thread are any indication of how issues are dealt with. Condescending, cutting remarks for those who raise legitimate questions. The failure to admit that maybe, just maybe, she could be wrong in not hearing a knock. Kind of like a pitbull on a poodle; ruthless, mean and nasty.
I'm an incredibly light sleeper, and like I already stated numerous times, the bed was not far at all from the door. SHE DIDN'T KNOCK. SHE WAS WRONG. Unless, UNLESS it was a mistake, in which case, it's understandable.

Ruthless, mean, and nasty-- LOL. What about you hurl these adjectives at the poster who called me a prostitute and the poster who accused me of wanting to be reimbursed for the room. Pretty sure if that were on my agenda, I would have pursued it (sued) a year ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
 
162 posts, read 353,412 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Well - before we request this thread is closed, I'll weigh in. I travel for a living, never worked for a hotel. Like Pacific Flights, I spend about 150 room nights in Hotels. The 1 AM thing would freak me out, yet -- there ARE in fact legitimate reasons for hotels to check on rooms. The night shift does exactly that. People trash hotel rooms and leave without paying, people have cots and things delivered that do need to be moved out before the room can be turned over to the next guests. Housekeeping staff at night often do room checks and cleanups - like carpet cleaning, duct cleaning, fixing locks, fixing plumbing. A lot of things go on in an industry that operates 24/7. I travel internationally, so I arrive at all sorts of odd hours, and i see the hotel is humming 24 hours a day. People checking in and out at all hours, too. There's a night shift for every department in some bigger hotels. So if they mistakenly had that your room was empty, they would most definitely have a reason to go in.

When I was 26, I didn't understand this industry either, so I can see why it bugs you. It's just lack of experience in travel. People on here ARE giving you good answers. No one called you a prostitute. Someone made a joke about fleabag hotels being the hourly type hotels. That wasn't reflecting on you.

One thing you need to understand about City Data Forum is that this really IS a community. People check in here all the time and help each other out. We respond to questions and complaints. We give recommendations. And for the most part (well, othern' the nuts down on the political and religious forums <grin> ) We're a pretty calm and collected bunch of people. Granny happens to be one of the most respected members of CD - so I'd appreciate you not attacking her (though she can take care of herself.) Those Reputation points over there on the right side DO mean something. It means this is a dedicated person who has helped a lot of people out. Everyone is welcome here. But you'll get a lot more help when you really need it if you're willing to show a little respect and gratitude that the people in the Village responded to the question you posted.

As for whether or not you broke a TOS rule - you did when you tried to name the motel. The Moderator cut that out. If you really were just posting to tattle on that motel, then that just won't fly here. But I hope you learned something and feel better about your concerns.

That being said, I WOULD recommend that you carry a portable door lock with you, especially as a female who may be in the room alone. I ALWAYS have one, even in the 5 star hotels. It's just good common sense. And if the 1 am thing happens again, a quick call to the front desk is in order immediately to check. There ARE criminals who go from room to room even in expensive hotels, trying the doors to see if they can get in. ALWAYS double lock the door. If there's no inside clasp, I've been known to put a chair up against the door in some places I've had to stay.

You don't have 100% control over the room. You are just renting it for a short period of time. it isn't an apartment. The laws are very different for room rentals in hotels. And the laws vary from state to state. Time to let it go. Your rights weren't violated. All is well. Now you know.
PacificFlights insinuated I was a prostitute in his March 29, 2010 post at 6:02 P.M. Here's what he said: "Time for you to grow up and may I suggest that next time, turn your tricks at a better class hotel and you won't get interupted doing the business!" Go back and read it yourself if you'd like.

I didn't attack Granny Sue at all. She came on my thread and decided to insinuate I was just trying to get my money back. Very judgmental. SHE attacked ME. Sorry you put her on a pedestal. I put no one on a pedestal. She was wrong for what she said to me, no matter how many other "right things" she has said, elsewhere. Got that?

Thanks for letting me know it was a no-no to put the motel's name. I've thoroughly read the TOS since including the name in my first post and won't make the same mistake. Just wanted to warn others about what had happened to me there.

Again, I understand if a mistake had been made while I was staying there and the night manager had thought my room empty. Everyone makes mistakes. If not, and she knew there were people currently in the room, who had paid for the room, she would be 100% wrong not to have knocked. However, even if it were a mistake, she should have apologized before leaving the room, right?

As an aside, I will say that I have posted my story on another forum and have gotten way less snarky, emotional answers than here on City-Data. No, not everyone agreed with me completely, but the answers demonstrated a much higher level of maturity than what I have found in this thread.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 AM
 
2 posts, read 896 times
Reputation: 10
What are my rights as a guest in hotel!!!!!!! I have video of maintenance man going through all of my stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditcherbret View Post
What are my rights as a guest in hotel!!!!!!! I have video of maintenance man going through all of my stuff
If nothing is missing, the only thing you can really do is take it up with the manager and ask for some sort of small compensation such as a credit or free meal. If something is missing, call the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 AM
 
2 posts, read 896 times
Reputation: 10
What about send video to all of the news brodcasters and you tube it. So there is no repercussions for the employee by law isn't there something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top