U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM

924 posts, read 1,388,931 times

Advertisements

What are some of the more dangerous highways in the U.S.?

I remember on California State Route 1 a while back, you could look over the edge of a sea cliff and see a trailer down at the bottom. Not sure if that's still there, but I also remember of a car flipped over trying to avoid going off the cliff.

Obviously I don't have much experience. Any dangerous roads you know of in the U.S. for the thrill seeker in me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
I-25 thro the centre of Denver at 1pm on any weekday - scares the bejesus out of me and I've driven in Cyprus !

Otherwise, US Route 550 from Silverton to Ouray (aka The Million Dollar Highway) can be hair-raising for the unwary. It's not very long, about 12 miles, but it's a single-lane road with no guard rails running about 800-1000ft above a sheer drop to the valley floor.

U.S. Route 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

968 posts, read 1,525,210 times
US 129 - Deal's Gap, NC, known as the Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times
CA-74, west of Indio. It goes up the face of the mountains from roughly sea level to about 4,100 ft in 11 or 12 miles. It's sometimes called "Seven Levels Hill" because the highway makes seven switchbacks. The view on a clear day is magnificent, but you'd better not be afraid of heights.

Skyline Drive, off US-50 west of Canon' City, CO

US-6, from the east end of the Eisenhower Tunnels on I-70 over the moutain to Dillon, Co.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,605 times
Not a hiway but it is a State Route! Waipio Valley on Big Island of Hawaii is the worst I have seen. I won't drive it, but I will drive alone the Alcan-Alaskan Highway.

Waipio Valley has a one lane road 3/4 mile long. It drops 2000 ft in that short trip. Grade is average 25% up to 40% grade. Yeild to uphill traffic, 4x4 only as you need to drive in low gear. No rentals - if you get stuck in the valley or fall off the cliff..The tow truck driver will ask if you own a home, not really but you might as well pull out equity for price!! When you get into the valley you will use streams as your roads half the time. Speed limit is 5 miles per hour.

Literally police will not go into the valley for any issues.

waipio valley road pictures - Google Search

Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
US 129 - Deal's Gap, NC, known as the Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles.
http://www.groovymap.com/UserFiles/Image/blog-pix/deals-gap-map.gif (broken link)

Deal's Gap has gotten awful touristy. I rode it to get my badge but doubt that I'll ever go back.

And "highways" have got nuthin' on some of the back roads I've traveled.

I've ridden US421 from Mountain City, TN to Bristol, TN; AKA "The Snake". Also, US 58 from Mouth of Wilson, VA to Damascus, VA. Lots of awesome twisties, plus several pullouts where you can take a butt break next to a scenic trout stream.

You want a real sphincter pucker? Virginia SR16 from Hungry Mother State Park over to SR601. Take that south and hit 91 for a return trip.

IMO, the "highways" are dangerous because of the other drivers; many of whom should never have been given a driver's license. The really good "roads" have more technical challenges: twisty, rocks that hang over the road or jut out from the mountainside, banking curves ... that's my kind of dangerous ride

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Not a hiway but it is a State Route! Waipio Valley on Big Island of Hawaii is the worst I have seen. I won't drive it, but I will drive alone the Alcan-Alaskan Highway.

Waipio Valley has a one lane road 3/4 mile long. It drops 2000 ft in that short trip. Grade is average 25% up to 40% grade. Yeild to uphill traffic, 4x4 only as you need to drive in low gear. No rentals - if you get stuck in the valley or fall off the cliff..The tow truck driver will ask if you own a home, not really but you might as well pull out equity for price!! When you get into the valley you will use streams as your roads half the time. Speed limit is 5 miles per hour.

Literally police will not go into the valley for any issues.

waipio valley road pictures - Google Search

Whoa! I don't think even a Jake brake would help with that grade!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Closed due to rock slide in Tennessee at the moment. Doesn't sound like TN DOT is in any hurry to open, put up major barricade at the TN/NC line.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
For some inexplicable reason, US-75 north, perfectly straight, from Topeka KS through Jackson County is a death trap. The Kansas HP calls it the Bermuda Triangle. There are head-on crashes there on perfectly straight stretches on dry roads in broad daylight. Lots of them. Fatal. There have been 16 fatal accidents there in the past 6 years.

You can look up every fatal accident in the US, listed by county, at http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/countyaccidents.asp

Last edited by jtur88; 03-26-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM

924 posts, read 1,388,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For some inexplicable reason, US-75 north, perfectly straight, from Topeka KS through Jackson County is a death trap. The Kansas HP calls it the Bermuda Triangle. There are head-on crashes there on perfectly straight stretches on dry roads in broad daylight. Lots of them. Fatal. There have been 16 fatal accidents there in the past 6 years.

You can look up every fatal accident in the US, listed by county, at Fatal Accidents by County
My guess, boring roads = inattentive drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or