U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times

Advertisements

I think they should do profiling, its common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
The fact that they are not profiling and security scrutiny involves all is whats keeping some of our homegrown domestic terrorist in check. Billy-Bob and Toothless Luke who think government, or corporations, or liberals, or New Yorkers, or book readers, or latte drinkers, or unionist, or anti-unionist, or people without yellow ribbons on their cars, or - fill in the blank - need to be shown a lesson and slamming a 737 into the IRS or INS or ICE or Eye-Yi-Yi-Ya-Yi would make them american heroes, well they are instead playing GI Joe on the ground and not in the air.

Profiling would work if we had an idea of who to profile. You profile one group and who's watching the others?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,324,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think they should do profiling, its common sense.
I think they already do

I got chosen for secondary screening just last Wednesday as I was about to get on my Southwest flight. I was obviously suspicious being a middle aged white guy in a business suit and carrying a briefcase.

ps. don't blame the screeners. Its the idiots running the TSA who should be fired.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,198,901 times
No, I don't feel any safer. If someone is that determined to blow up a plane, they'll find ways to get around security. TSA is just eye candy. Their presence makes people feel safer, but I really don't think they do much.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
4. The system seems more about political correctness than about security. I would argue that an effective system ought to employ racial and ethnic profiling rather than simply applying the same screening to every passenger who gets on an airplane. Some people are simply more likely than others to be dangerous.
Bit of a slippery slope here, don't you think? The moment it becomes blatantly obvious that more 'people of color' are being targeted, which between the lines is what you appear to be saying, all hell will break loose.

The reality is, airport security slackness led to 911. If there had been reasonably competent screening procedures back then, we wouldn't have to resort to these harsher, almost draconian style techniques now, or have to worry about singling out people of a certain race or ethnicity. Clearly, that would mean than the majority of people to be harassed would be minorities. THIN ice you're skating on with that one.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Bit of a slippery slope here, don't you think? The moment it becomes blatantly obvious that more 'people of color' are being targeted, which between the lines is what you appear to be saying, all hell will break loose.The reality is, airport security slackness led to 911. If there had been reasonably competent screening procedures back then, we wouldn't have to resort to these harsher, almost draconian style techniques now, or have to worry about singling out people of a certain race or ethnicity. Clearly, that would mean than the majority of people to be harassed would be minorities. THIN ice you're skating on with that one............................................... .................................................. ........Political correctness has no place when it comes to airline security. If some groups feel more "harrassed" than others its too bad, but it reflects realities. If some groups want to whine or protest, I'm really good at ignoring them.The nineteen men who carried out the 9/11 attacks on this country were 100%, young, male, and of Middleastern descent. Since that time we have had a single Nigerian man attempt to bomb an airliner and the "shoe bomber" who I believe was a single man traveling by himself, but of caucasian descent. Not one single white caucasian woman with a baby has attempted to bomb or hijack an airliner. Yet, all women who bring babystrollers aboard an airliner undergo rigorous screening that causes delays while the rest of us wait behind them. This is utter nonsense. Now, I know someone is going to tell me something like "now, you just wait one of these days a white caucasian woman with a baby on board is going to bomb an airliner". Well guess what? There is no way to make this security system 100% fool proof. But in terms of assessing overall risk, the risk of such a thing occurring is extraordinarily slight. That's what security is about. Its not about trying to control every conceivable imaginable risk. Its about focusing the limited resources one has in the most effective manner.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,800,334 times
Quote:
Not one single white caucasian woman with a baby has attempted to bomb or hijack an airliner. Yet, all women who bring babystrollers aboard an airliner undergo rigorous screening that causes delays while the rest of us wait behind them. This is utter nonsense. Now, I know someone is going to tell me something like "now, you just wait one of these days a white caucasian woman with a baby on board is going to bomb an airliner".
See the Hindawi Affair (Hindawi affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Yes it happened 20 years ago but it still happened and it could again and we may not get that lucky a second time.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Not one single white caucasian woman with a baby has attempted to bomb or hijack an airliner. Yet, all women who bring babystrollers aboard an airliner undergo rigorous screening that causes delays while the rest of us wait behind them. This is utter nonsense. Now, I know someone is going to tell me something like "now, you just wait one of these days a white caucasian woman with a baby on board is going to bomb an airliner". Well guess what? There is no way to make this security system 100% fool proof. But in terms of assessing overall risk, the risk of such a thing occurring is extraordinarily slight.
I wont dissapoint you.
It may seem "utter nonsense" to you, but the day it happens, I bet you and all the other, "don't hassle me cause i;m white and not a terrorist" group will be yelling and screaming about lack security. And I bet if any of your family was on that plane, you would be at an lawyers office with suit in hand against the TSA, airline, FAA, DHS, FBI, CIA, and probably even the maker of the baby carriage.

Everyone complains about the hassles of security because nothing has ever happened to you. But if you ever lost a love one due to a gap in security, you would be calling for such tight security that it would take 15 hours to get through security, and you would be critical of anyone who says it needs to be relaxed.

You may not want to admit it, but we all know that deep down inside, your praying to god that security is as tight as can be when its your plane. You don't have to admit it, but we know

Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Do flight attendants and other airline employees take advantage of security to empower themselves? For example, it appears as if airlines are always concerned about making an on time departure - may be a metrics thing. Whether they are one minute late or an hour late, they are late. Can they force people to hurry when boarding for example, and play the security card if people aren't complying with orders when the real motivation is to have an on time departure?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Quote:
Political correctness has no place when it comes to airline security. If some groups feel more "harrassed" than others its too bad, but it reflects realities. If some groups want to whine or protest, I'm really good at ignoring them.The nineteen men who carried out the 9/11 attacks on this country were 100%, young, male, and of Middleastern descent. Since that time we have had a single Nigerian man attempt to bomb an airliner and the "shoe bomber" who I believe was a single man traveling by himself, but of caucasian descent. Not one single white caucasian woman with a baby has attempted to bomb or hijack an airliner. Yet, all women who bring babystrollers aboard an airliner undergo rigorous screening that causes delays while the rest of us wait behind them. This is utter nonsense. Now, I know someone is going to tell me something like "now, you just wait one of these days a white caucasian woman with a baby on board is going to bomb an airliner". Well guess what? There is no way to make this security system 100% fool proof. But in terms of assessing overall risk, the risk of such a thing occurring is extraordinarily slight. That's what security is about. Its not about trying to control every conceivable imaginable risk. Its about focusing the limited resources one has in the most effective manner.
So answer me this, as I am a black man who has never run afoul of the law, do you think by mere virtue of my ethnicity, that I should be more subject to search than say, a white man dressed in a suit, who appears above board? Because that is essentially what you are saying. If your approach to the most effective security is to throw all the minorities to the wolves, then let's all pray you're never in a position to affect such policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or