U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,278,076 times

Advertisements

Driving cross country from NC to CA, spending time to visit, and then driving back again, all in 9 days, is not practical. It would be an endurance test of non stop driving, not a pleasure trip. The OP said they had one week off. If possible, my advice would be to take two weeks off. If the boss says no, would either postpone the trip until the vacation time was accrued, or else fly one way and drive the other, as suggested in an earlier post. If taking two weeks off, then things get better for the drive. Could take one route over and then another back, even if it meant a little extra travel. There are at least a dozen different ways to make a cross country drive, with countless things to see and do. Six or seven days each way, and two to four days in California would make for an enjoyable trip, but even with that, parts of the drive will be tedius and boring. Forget the online maps amd trip planners, get a hardcopy map and get creative, look at the many ways to go and come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:01 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,010,899 times
I'm with Blackshoe on this one. Nine days is not a lot of time to see anything for a roundtrip. Besides, if something goes wrong with your car along the way, there goes your vacation, and hopefully you'll be able to make it back in time for work. Me personally I'd fly, rent a car in California, and see as much of the west as I could in that week while enjoying company with your friend. You can do an overnight trip to Vegas or the Grand Canyon while you are out there as well. I've driven across country a half dozen times, and 9 days for a roundtrip will not be all that enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel