U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,145,583 times

Advertisements

Well last week I asked my bossman for a week off this summer so I can visit a cousin of mine in Riverside, CA. My cousin moved there back in the early 90s and loves it.

As for me, I'm 24 years old and have never been out of the South. I'm thinking and hoping this will be a great experience for me to see and experience new things. Of course I'm going to visit Los Angeles a couple times and I'm pretty sure he knows of some other places to visit but thats not my main concern.

Ok, I'll have 9 days of freedom. Everybody is telling me to fly because it will be cheaper and it would save a lot of time which is probably what I'll end up doing because I know it's the smarter thing to do. But my stubborness and rebelliousness tells me to drive which would only give me maybe a good 2-3 days at my cousins. But I would get to see some of the western part of The United States while driving which I would love. This is the only chance I'll get for a long period of time I'm assuming and I really want to make it count.

Any opinions, advice or comments are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM

12,273 posts, read 18,397,848 times
It would be interesting to drive for a person that has never done it, and for that reason I would say go for the cross country drive. The only thing you need to be aware of is that during that drive you won't see much more than bland interstate highways with the same McDonalds on the highway exits, Motel Six's, Exxon Stations, etc. Well, you do cross the mountains and deserts and crossing that landscape can be worthwhile for the first time. You will probably enjoy the drive there, and dread the drive back.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
If you drive, you should make planned stops at many places, otherwise, to me, the drive becomes a chore. I drove from Milwaukee to LA once, and even though I made a couple of stops I never would have made if I flew, it kind of sucked in the end. I needed to get my car out there, as I was moving, and driving becomes exhausting after a while to me...but that is me.

Now that i have kids, we are making more car trips, and it does get exhausting to build in a good amount of time at the destination.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
If you like driving and you haven't had a chance to do a cross-country trek yet, drive it because you may never get another chance to do so again. Bing has the trip (from Charlotte) at 34 hours, MapQuest says it's 36 hours.

Time will go quick and you'll have a chance to listen to all those CD's you've been forgetting about how good they are. You may only have 3 days or so in LA, but you wouldn't even be able to see all there is to see out there even if you had two weeks to do so.

Fly next time.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,939,455 times
Ugh, don't do it. I-10 is boring as heck. Just a lotta empty desert and scrub land. You don't even see any real mountains until you hit California, even then they're not gonna be snowcaps. Your time would be better spent checking the babes and freakshow at Venice beach or taking the coaster down to San Diego and/or up to Santa Barbara. From a guy who's done both; going over the top (Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington) is a lot more interesting than driving along the bottom (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona).

Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
agreed not I-10, I-40: Nashville, Memphis, Ozarks, TX-Pan Handle, Taos, Gallup, maybe a slight diversion to see Hoover Dam Bridge on to LA. Opportunity to visit a few of the surviving Americana road sites that still exist on parts of Rt 66.

Not for everyone but re-read the OP and think again. Requires 12 hour days but the time will go by easy especially if you like to drive and want to see whats between the two coasts. Won't have time to do alot of sight seeing but stuff like this is minutes from I40...

Meteor Crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2010, 03:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,722,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It would be interesting to drive for a person that has never done it, and for that reason I would say go for the cross country drive. The only thing you need to be aware of is that during that drive you won't see much more than bland interstate highways with the same McDonalds on the highway exits, Motel Six's, Exxon Stations, etc. Well, you do cross the mountains and deserts and crossing that landscape can be worthwhile for the first time. You will probably enjoy the drive there, and dread the drive back.
Take Southwest one way and see if you can find a rental car co that does not charge for mileage and drive the other. Why do the drive twice if you can avoid it?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,145,583 times
Thanks for all your replies. I was planning on taking I-40 anyway if I did drive. Also thought about buying a GPS in case of stop points along the way.

I emailed a buddy about it and for some reason he just took it as an invite. But if I did decide on bringing anyone it would be him. Hes a good friend and especially on trips and such.

But I was honestly wanting to do this alone. Sort of like a life self-challenge. I just need to get away from everything here and that includes the people I know as well.

Do yall think I should invite him? Would I be selfish to not let him come? I know it would be safer but I'm definitely not scared to do this alone.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,939,455 times
Go with dual drivers. My solo range was 17 hours straight, max. With a pair, you can drive in shifts and make the whole trip in less than two days if you want. Road tripping with a buddy is way better than a solo haul. If you want an endurance test, you can take a few days and do a big loop anytime.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM

146 posts, read 360,739 times
If I were you, I'd do the drive there, then fly back. Rent a car one-way. It'll be more expensive, but you'll get less miles on your car that way. I would recommend you go to the Grand Canyon - but the rest of the drive may be boring, so keep that in mind.

As for going alone/going with your buddy, there's no right answer. Follow your heart. If you want to be alone, go for it. If he was a true friend, he would understand and respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel