U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Italian pizza is kind of strange anyways. Go to Chicago for good pizza, in Italy there are better things to eat, and you can't have a bad meal in Italy...but you have the whole boot to select. I would take Florence over Naples for Italian resteraunts.
Chicago's pizza? It's embarrassing to read this...do you know where the pizza comes from?

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/pizza-history.asp

But I've tasted some bad italian dishes outside Italy that i can understand the confusion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM

521 posts, read 723,302 times
I love how this thread has veered off topic from harassment to pizzas.

Being from India I really have no right to say anything(looking at the recent spate of rapes) but I'd like to add that Italian men really do think they're god's gift to women and in a justified way. Their culture is based on love and erotica and there's a hedonistic philosophy to life, which isn't inherently wrong. And I've known many western women(from the "new worlds" of N America) completely bowled over by ancient cultures like the ones they have in France or Italy.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestiaMetallica View Post
Chicago's pizza? It's embarrassing to read this...do you know where the pizza comes from?

History of Pizza | Italy

But I've tasted some bad italian dishes outside Italy that i can understand the confusion....
I will continue the offtopic trend...old thread anyways so who cares.
Pizza obviously comes from Italy, Naples. We know this Captain Obvious and linking to something explaining the history of pizza is really a waste of effort. The authentic pizza I had in Italy I did not particularly enjoy, personal preference if you will. Chinese food comes from China and I've been to China several times but it doesn't mean I enjoy eating crunchy snails and grasshopper soup (yeah yeah I know there are regional varieties). I enjoy that unhealthy American version of Chinese food thank you very much.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM

332 posts, read 398,257 times
I wouldn't bother with Naples anyway. It's a dump. We only stopped there briefly on our way to Pompeii (which is great) and the couple of hours there was enough. There are plenty of other places in Italy that I would rather visit.

Additionally, I would never go for a walk on my own (particularly at night) in a city that I wasn't familiar with, more so if I had just been accosted by a creep who then followed me. We had a tour guide in Naples who warned us all about the crime and unemployment. You could see it too.....along with all the rubbish everywhere. I don't know if there are necessarily good and bad parts like most cities, I just couldn't be bothered finding out based on what I saw.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 624,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yup and they know American women love them too. My wife (who's Mexican) went over to Napoli with her friend from Scotland touring Spain, Ibiza, France, Italy etc..(I trust my wife )

She said the rudest men in the world are there, they would come up to her at the restaurant or bar and literally try to grab their drinks from their hand to get a free slurp. They wouldn't let go either, they would tug like it was funny. Of course after this little rude game, the guys would stand there staring at them and asking if they wanted to get a table together, drink or dance.

What's sad is that I recommended Napoli because I had been there in 1994 and enjoyed it very much. Pizza was awesome. But I guess it is a different experience for a women.

I visited Naples in '94. City is much rougher around the edges than other Italian cities. My fav is Florence.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,373,451 times
The culture shock is you are used to American Men who are little B's when it comes to being toyed with by american women. In the real world (outside america) women are treated equally and they assume female roles. That's what is sending you for a loop

Bad for women I know but a HUGE wake up call for men.

Since I started traveling I've never been the same guy....I've been liberated !

Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,439,099 times
The culture shock is you are used to American Men who are little B's when it comes to being toyed with by american women. In the real world (outside america) women are treated equally and they assume female roles.

American men "toyed with", but outside America "women are treated equally" and assume "female roles". I don't understand how this correlates in anyway at all to the OP's experiences. Please explain.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,340,040 times
The very first time I visited Napoli was as a 17 year old high school student with my Mom. Been there several times. Then when I was in the Royal Merchant Navy (of the UK), my ship would dock there 2 or 3 times a year. I never had a problem with crime or harassment or even bad service of any kind ... but I am a guy and I was born in New York City and have "street smarts."

Forget pizza ... I had some amazing seafood dinners in Napoli. I remember patronizing a little non-fancy restaurant near the docks where the Calamari (squid) was the best I ever had in my life!

Yes, parts of the city are rough and kind of sketchy, but so many wonderful things near Napoli are fantastic ... the ruins of Pompeii, the Isle of Capri and the town of Anacapri, nearby Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or