U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 AM

59 posts, read 238,406 times

Advertisements

I travel as much as I can and I learned and relearned that its so much better to travel alone. I travelled with someone through Europe last year and he ruined most of my trip. I was somehow responsible for all the planning, reservations, intrpretation, more than my share of the expenses and ultimately subject to criticsm if he wasn't happy in any way. I dumped him in Luxembourg half way through the trip and still had a better time the 2nd half in spite of the "guilt".

Even if you think you have someone to share cost, you will spend more, waste precious time and have some regrets. Try doing something simple you know you want like visit a Hall of Fame of some type, see a car show, museum, etc... The first time you travel international, you will be hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 PM

980 posts, read 1,928,066 times
My first time vacationing for a week or longer alone felt very liberating for many of the same reasons mentioned above. I get to do what I want, when I want, eat where I want and when I want. It was an amazing sense of peace driving through the desert of New Mexico and Arizona and heading into the Grand Canyon. Yes, I went to the Grand Canyon by myself and it was great.

Having stated the great feeling of traveling alone, it can get a little lonely after nearly a week by yourself. Yet, for the most part the pros outweigh the cons in traveling alone. As far as eating out at restaurants by myself, I don't mind. Depending where I am eating at I usually sit at the bar even if I do not plan on drinking alcohol. For one, I do not stand out. Second, I usually get better and faster service. Third, it easier to strike a conversation with another person or even the bartender while sitting at the bar.

I have traveled alone a few times, but it wasn't until the last 2 years that I realized that I prefer to travel alone not all the time, but most of the time. I am also more selective with who I travel with for an extended period of time. A long weekend for 2 or 3 days is no big deal, I can wing it with different people and can compromise and deal with certain inconveniences. Even at that depending on the situation, destination, and the people involved, I may opt out to travel with others even on a long weekend. Anything longer than a long weekend I rather do alone or with compatible travelers.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM

9,942 posts, read 11,931,076 times
I LOVE traveling alone . I have traveled with friends past and bf/husbands but by far , I love doing what I want , when I want.

I drove to the Gulf Coast. I saw the hurricane damaged cities but it was a very emotional experience to see houses no longer there. And there were ALOT of them gone ! I stopped by the IHOP and had a great view of the Gulf and talked to 2 nice ladies. They explained the entire history of what happened Post Katrina.

I ate when I wanted to eat. I slept when I wanted to sleep. I drove and explored. It was all about ME , lol !

You have to be an independant person who is comfortable with your own skin.

If you are female, a few tips : Always stop at Busy Gas Stations to use the RestRooms. Do NOT stop at Rest Stops. I dont feel its that safe.

I would go to better restauraunts and take my food to go back to my room. I also frequented your fast food chains as it was easy to either eat it there or take it back to my room.

I always looked for a gas station when my tank was half full. That way you have time to find the right one with a good price and not get stressed and stranded doing long stretches without a gas station.

Enjoy !

Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM

255 posts, read 514,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I've done most of my traveling alone for many of the same reasons the OP listed. My suggestion: The Philippines. Beautiful beaches, beautiful girls, everyone speaks English. What more could you ask for? If you do a little planning online you can find cheap, clean places to stay. The local food is good and cheap too. In fact the only major expense is the air fare (usually over $1000 from the East coast).
the OP might be female or might not be into that sort of tourism.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,302,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post
Can ayone please give share experiences on vacationing alone? I never vacation but in the coming months I have an opportunity to do so. It seems I have no one to vacation with. Friends or family either don't have the money (I'm not rich; I am s imple hourly wage but it about time I vacation for once) or are working.

Do you find yourself not having as much or any fun vacationing alone?

I would just love to read some experience on this. Thank You!
I may have already answered this one but my personal experiences are yes and its been my preference for years!
There have been places Ive gone and stayed with friends and they were my tour guides.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,302,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I LOVE traveling alone . I have traveled with friends past and bf/husbands but by far , I love doing what I want , when I want.

I drove to the Gulf Coast. I saw the hurricane damaged cities but it was a very emotional experience to see houses no longer there. And there were ALOT of them gone ! I stopped by the IHOP and had a great view of the Gulf and talked to 2 nice ladies. They explained the entire history of what happened Post Katrina.

I ate when I wanted to eat. I slept when I wanted to sleep. I drove and explored. It was all about ME , lol !

You have to be an independant person who is comfortable with your own skin.

If you are female, a few tips : Always stop at Busy Gas Stations to use the RestRooms. Do NOT stop at Rest Stops. I dont feel its that safe.

I would go to better restauraunts and take my food to go back to my room. I also frequented your fast food chains as it was easy to either eat it there or take it back to my room.

I always looked for a gas station when my tank was half full. That way you have time to find the right one with a good price and not get stressed and stranded doing long stretches without a gas station.

Enjoy !

You and I are on the same page here.
Except Ive been known to buy simple meals from a grocery store nearby and take to the hotel, it saves you from eating out all the time. Staying at a 'complimentary breakfast' hotel also helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or