Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I agree. I think NYC is really overrated. Probably because people from NYC won't stop going on about 'the city'. It's a bit provincial and not as cosmopolitan as other world cities, like London or Paris.
Of course any major European city is "cosmopolitan" (Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world).

Comparing NYC to London is apples to oranges. The US is bordered by only 2 countries. Whereas it's a relatively short (and Cheap) train/ferry ride, drive or flight to experience a plethora of different countries in Europe. Naturally that opens London, Paris, Rome etc to an entirely different, global cast of characters. Plus, those cities have had CENTURIES to Mature into the "cosmo" locales they are today.

Often folks make this unfair comparison. As if what NYC has to offer has anything to do with what Paris has to offer. (Oh! two big cities with nothing substantive in common.... let's compare).

That doesn't take away from NYC. It's a very young city recognized and sought after worldwide.

Nothing to do with places we've visited that were a disappointment. ... my bad. I'm moving along to another forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
..."cosmopolitan" (Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world).

Well that certainly doesn't describe New York City!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Of course any major European city is "cosmopolitan" (Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world).

Comparing NYC to London is apples to oranges. The US is bordered by only 2 countries. Whereas it's a relatively short (and Cheap) train/ferry ride, drive or flight to experience a plethora of different countries in Europe. Naturally that opens London, Paris, Rome etc to an entirely different, global cast of characters. Plus, those cities have had CENTURIES to Mature into the "cosmo" locales they are today.

Often folks make this unfair comparison. As if what NYC has to offer has anything to do with what Paris has to offer. (Oh! two big cities with nothing substantive in common.... let's compare).

That doesn't take away from NYC. It's a very young city recognized and sought after worldwide.

Nothing to do with places we've visited that were a disappointment. ... my bad. I'm moving along to another forum.
Sure there may be very good reasons why NYC is less cosmopolitan, and I do agree the geographical isolation of the USA is part of it. Nevertheless, I found it disappointing for that reason: to watch American tv, you'd think it was some fantastic multicultural wonderland.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Sure there may be very good reasons why NYC is less cosmopolitan, and I do agree the geographical isolation of the USA is part of it. Nevertheless, I found it disappointing for that reason: to watch American tv, you'd think it was some fantastic multicultural wonderland.
Are you sure you weren't vacationing in suburban Westchester County? There are skyscrapers there, perhaps you got it confused with New York City?

Queens one of 'most diverse places on Earth,' new figures show - New York Daily News

Brooklyn Enclave Helps New York Top Los Angeles as U.S. Diversity Capital - Bloomberg

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Are you sure you weren't vacationing in suburban Westchester County? There are skyscrapers there, perhaps you got it confused with New York City?

Queens one of 'most diverse places on Earth,' new figures show - New York Daily News

Brooklyn Enclave Helps New York Top Los Angeles as U.S. Diversity Capital - Bloomberg
Sure but look at this list: Foreign born - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though New York comes out top in absolute numbers, it isn't even in the top 10 cities in terms of the proportion of foreign-born residents. Toronto in particular I've always found to be far more diverse and cosmopolitan (and incidentally, Canada's even more geographically isolated than the US).

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Sure but look at this list: Foreign born - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though New York comes out top in absolute numbers, it isn't even in the top 10 cities in terms of the proportion of foreign-born residents. Toronto in particular I've always found to be far more diverse and cosmopolitan (and incidentally, Canada's even more geographically isolated than the US).
Well you can hardly beat Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, but here's another perspective...

BBC NEWS | Americas | Miami tops 'foreign-born' cities

1. Miami
2. Toronto
3. L.A.
4. Vancouver
5. New York
6. London

Miami is overwhelming Latin American, and Vancouver overwhelming Asian, so they are not exactly diverse, strictly speaking.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well you can hardly beat Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, but here's another perspective...

BBC NEWS | Americas | Miami tops 'foreign-born' cities
Your source, almost a decade old, doesn't really disagree with mine. Toronto comes out way ahead.

In any case, this thread was just about which places we found most disappointing. And I found New York disappointing - it was definitely more inward looking than other world cities I've been to.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
... Toronto in particular I've always found to be far more diverse and cosmopolitan (and incidentally, Canada's even more geographically isolated than the US).
Canada has had a much less restrictive immigration policy than the US.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Casa De Campo (more like Caca de Craphole) Dominican Republic

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I think the most disappointing places I have visited ended up more to due with personal reasons. I find visiting relatives or friends are not good vacation ideas. My sibling lived in Hawaii and the trip was a disaster. I hope to go back again without the drama. I visited a friend that lived in Vegas, another disaster. I did go on a vacation to MA for the Walden Woods Project. That was a disappointment. The people of Concord were not pleased and could give a hoot about Walden Woods. That wasn't the greatest experience. Most of the time I enjoy my vacations even if it's not a huge deal. I enjoy the change of scenery.

Last edited by fallingwater; 02-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel