Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM

16,562 posts, read 17,332,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Vegas.
Most of Europe, esp England and Germany.
That's a fairly broad statement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,681,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Correct! The worst thing about living here! Worst traffic in the USA by far if not the world. Really really horrible.
When I drove through Atlanta ( about 8:30 am ) BIG MISTAKE ! My car sat for 45 minutes in traffic that moved about 2 feet every 4 minutes , lol !

On the return through Atlanta around 2:00 pm , you hit this huge maze of MESS ! But it was not as bad as the morning commute.

It seems MILLIONS of people live right there on the freeway ! LOL ..I have drove through alot of cities but NEVER have I encountered so much traffic.

Is there any way around this ? In case I want to drive to get to the Gulf Coast again ? My friend who lives in Ga told me that was the only way to get anywhere ..yikes...

Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM

13,374 posts, read 28,620,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Tijuana, Mex. : Dirty

Atlantic City : Dirty and Scary

Charlotte , NC : Boring

Vegas , : Not impressed , lived there many years , finally LEFT !

North Las Vegas : Crime infested ( mostly older areas )

All of New Mexico : " Yawn "

Phoenix : I can't wait to drive out of there !

Oklahoma and Texas : One long drive with nothing to look at ..

Atlanta : I HATE the Traffic ! HORRIBLE ! Never ever would I live there..

Orlando " Stifling but WDW is cool. Have to go there in the winter months...

I love alot of places though but thats not the question here , lol
FILTHY....I hopped across the border when I was in San Diego I wasn't expecting much so wasn't disappointed except for the time wasted visiting that hell hole

Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM

23,105 posts, read 28,829,719 times
You must not have gone far into Tijuana, or spent the night there, exploring the exciting Zona Norte bar/red light district, because if you had, you would have changed your flight back from San Diego, and spent another 3 days there.

I've never found Tijuana to be filthy or dirty. It only looks dirty, thanks to all the omnipresent graffiti, but it's actually a very clean city, as most Latin American cities are.

I never feel comfortable in overly clean cities, they're most unnatural. I'll take an interesting city over a clean city any day of year. Could someone please inform me what's so interesting about Tijuana's neighbor to the north?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 AM

13,374 posts, read 28,620,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You must not have gone far into Tijuana, or spent the night there, exploring the exciting Zona Norte bar/red light district, because if you had, you would have changed your flight back from San Diego, and spent another 3 days there.

I've never found Tijuana to be filthy or dirty. It only looks dirty, thanks to all the omnipresent graffiti, but it's actually a very clean city, as most Latin American cities are.

I never feel comfortable in overly clean cities, they're most unnatural. I'll take an interesting city over a clean city any day of year. Could someone please inform me what's so interesting about Tijuana's neighbor to the north?
I've been many places in Mexico and Tijuana is the pits and to me it was filthy...dead pigeons in the street...blech, I'll take Cabo, Cancun,Cozumel over tijuana any day..but that said one persons version of a hell hole is another's paradise and vice versa

Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,248,350 times
I guess I'll never understand why San Diego tourists go to Tijuana! A quick glance on the SD forum and you will see how all the locals highly discourage going there, since it's a waste of time. There truly is nothing to do or see there. I've lived here for almost 2 years now and have yet to venture there! And to be honest, I have no plans in the near future, even though the border is 13 miles from me! If you make it to Tijuana, might as well keep going to Rosarito. They have nice beaches and are a very popular cruise ship stop. It's very close to Tijuana but a world of difference!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

23,105 posts, read 28,829,719 times
There's two completely separate Tijuana's, the daytime one and the nighttime one.

The daytime TJ can't compare to the the nightime TJ, although I do enjoy the 10-block Swap Meet on Martinez (4 blocks west of Revolution) on weekends where I can spend time hunting for bargains. There's also a huge swap meet in Rosarito on Sunday's, even though Rosarito holds no interest for me. Ensenada is a far better choice for me.

Even though I'm not a big drinker, I enjoy the off-Revolution Avenue bar district with the jukeboxes. I like the way they crowd all the bars into one area of town and I just love listening to Latin music and the opportunities for companionship at a price. I've never spent a night alone in TJ, unless I chose otherwise.

Not ever worrying about getting a DUI there and having a great time is part of the allure. On Coahuilla lane, alone, there's over 20 bars to choose from.
If hear a Marisela song emanating from a bar, I'll enter there, I hear Marco Antonio Solis playing in a bar, I'll enter there, or just feed money to the jukeboxes to listen to my favorite Latin singers.

Touristy Revolution Avenue holds no interest for me, I'd rather spend time with the locals and at the bars where I can rub shoulders with the locals and I speak enough Spanish to be able to converse with them.

To each his own. If the Gaslight district in SD is your thing, fine, enjoy!
But I'll take the exciting Zona Norte district and the Santa Cecilia Plaza district over that any day!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,248,350 times
It's Gaslamp, and I despise that touristy section here! I hang out in our local neighborhoods and rarely, if ever, venture out to the Gaslamp!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 PM

834 posts, read 2,815,337 times
[quote=professorsenator;13623508]The U.S. has a number of sizable cities that are completely forgettable: ....Kansas City....

But Kansas City boasts more outdoor fountains than Rome, Italy.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:37 PM

834 posts, read 2,815,337 times
Some of the cities in Europe which were disappointing are Marsellies, Genoa, Torino -- etc. a lot of industrial postwar crap but there are charming spots in center city I understand. Never had enough time or enthusiasm to go see.. Pisa was also kind of a drag except the Leaning Tower - I would suggest just stopping over for a couple of hours on the train..the cabbies all know the drill...[/quote]

Smithsonian Magazine did an article on Marseilles a couple years ago. A real melting-pot city for Arabs and Africans. Supposedly Marseilles bottomed-out, and is now getting better again for tourists.

When I recently visited Pisa, there were 200 souvenier and snack vendors in the big park, outside the tower. All vendors except one, were black Africans - I thought this was interesting. Also Pisa had a big awesome mural of revolutionary Che' Guevera, painted on a small bridge that our bus crossed. Sorry I had no time to photograph it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel