U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM

472 posts, read 794,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I addition to visiting Paris numerous times, I also lived there for several months. So I know what I am talking about. Paris is definitely much more reasonably priced and less of a tourist trap than New Orleans -- no question about it. Besides, you've missed the whole point of my post. New Orleans' major "selling point" is that it's got the French Quarter, with its "French flavor". Obviously, the best place to have a "French flavor" is, well, France. So the cost being equal, choosing between France and a place that has a few city blocks that sorta look like a France-looking amusement park for adults should be a no-brainer.
Lived or studied abroad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 AM

512 posts, read 1,225,162 times
Prague!
hands down!

people were rude to us, it was very very cold in May when we went (not prague's fault...i understand lol), and even though there were some pretty scenary, it was just an OK experience for me.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,070,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Lived or studied abroad?
I studied abroad and lived there. I did it differently from the usual American study abroad thing. I took regular curriculum. I had my own apartment -- not in a dorm. And I got involved in a lot of activities that were not student-related or connected to my American group. So yeah, I lived there.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,267,837 times
[quote=whosez;13945019]I completely agree! We took a 1 day excursion there and were really disappointed with the place. It didn't rain when we visited, but the the place looked like a disheveled dump and not in a charming way.

Glad I'm not the only one. The only reason we went was because my friend raved about it and said we should go there instead of Cozumel.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I studied abroad and lived there. I did it differently from the usual American study abroad thing. I took regular curriculum. I had my own apartment -- not in a dorm. And I got involved in a lot of activities that were not student-related or connected to my American group. So yeah, I lived there.
OK that makes sense -- as you know many people who claim to have 'lived' in a certain place have done so in only the most tenuous way. So I was just a bit sceptical of your claim -- but it doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

Though I've been studying in the US for almost 3 years now, not as part of a group, own apartment, US driving licence and everything. But I'm still slightly reluctant to say that I 'live' in the US, in part because I don't have the right to stay here indefinitely. Student visas are tightly constrained, and I have a sense that if you couldn't (at least theoretically) stay somewhere indefinitely, then you don't really live there.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:17 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
You definitely do live in the US. You may not be living here indefinitely, but if you are working, going to school, eating, moving around and living your everyday life for an extended period of time I don't know what else you could call it.

It's not like you are here as a tourist, shacked up in a hotel, just taking in the sites, eating out all the time and mingling with other tourists.

Once you start entering the fabric of a community independent of "travel" I think it's definitely fair to state that you live there

Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You definitely do live in the US. You may not be living here indefinitely, but if you are working, going to school, eating, moving around and living your everyday life for an extended period of time I don't know what else you could call it.

It's not like you are here as a tourist, shacked up in a hotel, just taking in the sites, eating out all the time and mingling with other tourists.

Once you start entering the fabric of a community independent of "travel" I think it's definitely fair to state that you live there
I see what you're saying, but I don't quite agree. I do all the things you mention, and yet ... I am only allowed to be here for a tightly constrained period. I don't have the rights and freedoms (vote, some kinds of employment, not being sent to Guantanamo bay, not get thrown out of the country on any grounds whatsoever) that people who really live here do.

I suppose I'd describe myself as temporarily living here, with a heavy emphasis on the temporary.

Maybe this is just a difference between UK and US usage, but even though I was in my college town for four years, I would hesitate to say that I 'lived' there. I mean... I was just a student.

Living somewhere, at least to my ears and in the fullest sense, means putting down roots with at least the possibility of permanence.

pdts

Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
I don't think you need to be a citizen of place to have lived in place

it's more of the experience than the status - but that is my opinion

i see where you are coming from and it could very well be cultural - i know I wouldn't take offense from anyone in your status saying you live here

Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I don't think you need to be a citizen of place to have lived in place

it's more of the experience than the status - but that is my opinion

i see where you are coming from and it could very well be cultural - i know I wouldn't take offense from anyone in your status saying you live here
Note that I didn't mean citizenship, necessarily -- most of the rights I mentioned are granted to people with legal permanent residence (ie, a green card).

I agree that citizenship is too high a bar.

chwboy

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM

42,837 posts, read 79,094,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
New Orleans - I've been there pre-Katrina several times. It was a filthy crime ridden city and after a couple of strolls up Bourbon St. dodging drunks I was bored. Food was good though.
Quote:
New Orleans. Crowded, touristy, overpriced, and not particularly historic. For the amount of money my boyfriend and I spent, we could have easily gone to Paris and spent our vacation in a real French quarter.
Another vote for New Orleans! What a waste of time and money! Was ready to leave almost as soon as I arrived. I went for Mardi Gras, so I guess seeing it once in a lifetime was somewhat worth it. I did a lot of research and booked a pretty expensive hotel on the parade route. Unfortunately, I didn't figure the locals have special tall ladders with which they block everything, so it was a waste of money. That was certainly not the only problem, though, and it was due to my own mistake.

I haven't seen such a stinking place in my life! My first (and definitely last) trip was after Katrina, but the stench has nothing to do with it because I never left the French Quarter and the Garden District and they were never affected. That's just hundreds of years worth of urine, blood, and puke soaked in the streets!

As I'm a sucker for cities with ambience, it had been on my list for a long time and I had this very romantic notion about it... Some people had told me it's a cesspool, but I brushed them off as not being city lovers, as being racists, etc. Heck, they were right on the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would totally agree with Hollywood as well.
That one is quite the shock, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Just didn't like Isla Mujeres. It was just a day trip, but we evidently went on the wrong day. There had been a heavy rain the previous day, and like many of the islands, there was no drainage. It was muddy and very few businesess were open.
I didn't like Isla Mujeres that much, either. Short of the really nice and really small North beach, the place basically has no beaches... Other than that, itís just a run-of-the-mill Mexican town and Iíve been to plenty, so it was quite underwhelming. Iím a fan of Riviera Maya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or