U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,308,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've heard a lot of bad stories about Oahu and the Big Island with regards to reception of tourists and seems to be a lot of petty crime and other issues. Maui I have heard is a little better.

Watching Dog the Bounty Hunter is appears all the beaches in Oahu have alcoholic bums and meth users lounging around everywhere. Doesn't look all that appealing to me.
Oahu has many beautiful areas away from Honolulu. Honolulu is a city and very commercialized and like any city there is crime.

We have been to all the HI islands and I was disappointed with the Big Island. Since it is the youngest island and mostly lava, your choice of beaches is limited unless you stay at a resort versus renting a condo. We found limited choices of good restaurants but a lot of fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM

914 posts, read 1,581,666 times
Salt Lake City / Park City. I've never met so many judgemental, white, religious, boring virgins before in the my life.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,575,964 times
I'll second the Grand Turk comment. We, too, stopped their on the cruise ship. Had no expectations of the place other than nice beaches, but it was well below what I thought we'd find. Ended up spending an hour outside and going back on the ship to nap.

Ocean City, MD is sooooooo trashy. It was my first "east coast beach" visit, so the hotels and boardwalk and the bulldozed beaches were a shock. I was expecting the natural beaches of the central coast of california, and these were anything but. VA beach was exponentially that way as well. 5 people deep on the beach, and families walking down the street with more tattoos, cigarettes and tshirts with trashy sayings than I'd ever seen before. I've been to each once, and will never go back to either. It's too bad, because they're the closes beaches to DC.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,503,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
Vienna is one I would list as disappointing. The whole, drab, grey, non-smiling, descriptions people were leveling at Munich, I level at Vienna.

In the US, Charleston was highly disappointing. People later told us you're either a Charleston person or a Savannah person, and I'm definitely the latter. Charleston just seemed over-priced and boring. Walkable, yes, but there really wasn't much to do.
Well I guess that I had different impressions of these places than you did.

I though Vienna was very vibrant and had excellent green spaces. The achitecture was very ornate, although most buildings lacked color. One of the nicest cities I have been to.

Also, I would take Charleston over Sanvannah. Savannah's nicest blocks in its historic district are more charming than Charleston's, but Charleston seemed more vibrant to me and does not have rough ghetto areas just outside the bubble of the historic district like Savannah does.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,065,937 times
Quote:
Florence the first time I went there was extremely disappointing. It was because of how people had made it out to be so I had these expectations that were never met. I've since been back and thoroughly enjoyed it but its still not at the top of my places to spend time in Europe at.
It's choking on tourists -- that really ruins everything. The countryside around Florence is wonderful though.

Quote:
Vienna is one I would list as disappointing. The whole, drab, grey, non-smiling, descriptions people were leveling at Munich, I level at Vienna.
Me too -- and I've been to Vienna twice many years apart, at very different times in my life. On both occasions, I found that compared to other European capitals, it's provincial and sterile. It's clean, no doubt about it, but that's not enough to make a place charming or interesting for me.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,535,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I was SO disappointed with Coney Island, much of it seemed to be shut down (I was there in June 2009). Actually, photographing the boarded-up buildings was about the most interesting thing I found there was to do. many Russians there as well!
Coney Island has been disappointing for a long time but this month it will be remodeled and have many rides and only going to get better.

Epoch Times - New Coney Island Amusement Park to Open

Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
The drive on rt1 through Maine, Looks great on a map but in reality you never see the water and traffic can become a nightmare.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM

144 posts, read 415,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well I guess that I had different impressions of these places than you did.

Also, I would take Charleston over Sanvannah. Savannah's nicest blocks in its historic district are more charming than Charleston's, but Charleston seemed more vibrant to me and does not have rough ghetto areas just outside the bubble of the historic district like Savannah does.
pO-tA-toe, po-tot-o.

That said, right outside of Charleston's main district were plenty of "rough ghetto areas," at least from what I saw when driving out and over the bridge towards James Island.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,582,833 times
Williamsburg, VA. It's fine, nothing wrong with it, but considering I have friends who go every year and say it's their favorite place in the world, I don't get it. The primary purpose of our visit was to see the college, but otherwise I would have been disappointed that we drove 6 hours for it.

Wildwood, NJ. Growing up in Philadelphia, everyone has their own shore town preference. I'm a Cape May/Avalon person, but so many people I know rave about Wildwood instead. I just found it dirty, dingy, and crowded. Sure, there are rides, but if I really want it that badly I'm fine with staying elsewhere and driving in (or going to a theme park). For a boardwalk I like Ocean City, NJ better.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
I think the place that dissapointed me the most was Cartagena, Colombia. I've definitely been to worse cities, but I simply had higher expectations of Cartagena. It didn't feel like the rest of Colombia and actually felt more Americanized than Miami. Needless to say I'd recommend Colombia to anyone! Especially Bogotá or Medellín depending on what you are looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or