U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,925,708 times

Advertisements

Alligator Point in FL's panhandle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,863 times
Dentist's offices.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 PM

616 posts, read 649,444 times
Quote:
Most disappointing place you've visited?
Chicago o hare terminal 5 what a boring and ugly place is that, and this is the biggest airport in the world

Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM

693 posts, read 818,274 times
Paris. Visited there several times and then lived there. But every time I've been (& when I lived), I just found it to be extremely overrated. Yes, the architecture is pretty; yes, the food is good, but I just don't really like it that much. Or at least, I don't think that it lives up to its reputation. Maybe it's just because I had such very high expectations before I ever went and then was just very disappointed because it didn't live up to those expectations. Obviously, it's one of the most important and global cities on earth, there's no denying that, but personally I don't think it can hold a candle to NYC, London, or Tokyo.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Paris. Visited there several times and then lived there. But every time I've been (& when I lived), I just found it to be extremely overrated. Yes, the architecture is pretty; yes, the food is good, but I just don't really like it that much. Or at least, I don't think that it lives up to its reputation. Maybe it's just because I had such very high expectations before I ever went and then was just very disappointed because it didn't live up to those expectations. Obviously, it's one of the most important and global cities on earth, there's no denying that, but personally I don't think it can hold a candle to NYC, London, or Tokyo.
What did you expect about Paris that didn't live up to the reality?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM

197 posts, read 181,109 times
Paris, France. Way overrated.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

693 posts, read 818,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What did you expect about Paris that didn't live up to the reality?
A lot of things really lol. Like I said, I really just don't think that it lives up to its reputation (or what I perceived it to be like in my mind prior to ever visiting). I think it's a very dirty city (even compared to NYC and London). The residents aren't very friendly or helpful (and that's not a part of the "French people are rude" stereotype because I don't buy that. The people in the rest of France are lovely from my experiences). It's not even remotely as glamorous, stylish, or chic as one might imagine it to be from the way it is portrayed a lot of times. There is dog cr*p everywhere (one of the most technologically advanced nations on earth, but I guess the pooper scooper never caught on ). The city smells in many areas. The food (although the French food is absolutely superb) wasn't what I expected in the sense that most of the restaurants were French. Which okay, fine, the French food is ridiculously good, but I don't think there is as much of an international selection for a city on the level that Paris is at as compared to the other cities at that level (exception: the North African food is the best I've had outside of North Africa). And again, obviously, there are a lot of international cuisines and restaurants in Paris, but I didn't feel like it compared to the scenes of NYC, London, or Tokyo here either. The gypsies are the worst of any place that I've ever been to (one time, for example, I was actually physically grabbed and pulled by a gypsy trying to get me to buy their stupid bracelets in Paris, which was very scary and infuriating at the same time. And yes, there are gypsies all over Europe, but I've never been actually physically grabbed by one and pulled except in Paris). The architecture (again so stunning but...), apart from some of the main attractions like the Opera House, Louvre, etc., all looks kind of the same (especially true of most of the apartment buildings). It just didn't seem as international and global as the other cities that it is compared to (NYC, London, Tokyo). Paris feels very French, while the others, while they definitely maintain a myriad of attributes from the countries that they're situated in, feel much more international imo. Obviously though, Paris is a global city, I think everyone knows that, but I don't think as much so as the aforementioned three. I could go on for ages, honestly. The best parts of France are outside Paris. I don't hate Paris, but I definitely think it's overrated.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 403,766 times
Our family trip to NYC wasn't as great as imagined. Don't get me wrong. Totally appreciated it. But long lines to go up the Empire State Building and it seems every floor you stop on you have to pay for something else. We went in 2004, and we couldn't go up the Statue of Liberty - however a week later, they started letting people go back up to her eye again. Our meals at restaurants included a place that rushed us, an Olive Garden that only served Dr. Pepper on the second floor, and a pizza from Pizza Hut we had to eat standing up because the dining room upstairs was being mopped or swept. Then a crazy guy tried to offer us a ride to the airport on our way back in his car, saying his price was just as low as a taxi's. My mother waved down a taxi to ask them how much their rates were but then he drove off.

A Texan can feel really out of place in New York City.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:39 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,974,312 times
Having lived in Paris for some time, I understand some of the complaints and disappointments people have with the city, but there's still an intangible magic to the city for me. It's that magic that keeps me and many others coming back again and again.

But I also agree that the best parts of France are outside Paris, and I do wish that more Americans would explore the many very diverse regions of the country.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,499,470 times
On a planned motorcycle trip up the Maine coast the map has rt1 paralleling the coast, thought it was going to be a beautiful trip..WRONG.
Never saw the ocean from rt1 and most of the trip the road was clogged with traffic..
US-4 E to US-1 N/Main St - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or