U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,219,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cash Register View Post
Our family trip to NYC wasn't as great as imagined. Don't get me wrong. Totally appreciated it. But long lines to go up the Empire State Building and it seems every floor you stop on you have to pay for something else. We went in 2004, and we couldn't go up the Statue of Liberty - however a week later, they started letting people go back up to her eye again. Our meals at restaurants included a place that rushed us, an Olive Garden that only served Dr. Pepper on the second floor, and a pizza from Pizza Hut we had to eat standing up because the dining room upstairs was being mopped or swept. Then a crazy guy tried to offer us a ride to the airport on our way back in his car, saying his price was just as low as a taxi's. My mother waved down a taxi to ask them how much their rates were but then he drove off.

A Texan can feel really out of place in New York City.
Buy the express pass and there is little to no wait. I was literally zipped past the long lines as no one else had the express pass. The longest wait I had dealt with was the elevator ride going up ... Cost me 40 bucks but my aching feet thanked me for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Having lived in Paris for some time, I understand some of the complaints and disappointments people have with the city, but there's still an intangible magic to the city for me. It's that magic that keeps me and many others coming back again and again.

But I also agree that the best parts of France are outside Paris, and I do wish that more Americans would explore the many very diverse regions of the country.
I'm glad that I visited this thread so I can properly plan to see other areas of France versus just visiting Paris.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,385,973 times
In terms of the disparity between my expectations and the actual experience I had visiting, probably the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. I wanted to go there so bad, I thought it'd be the highlight of my Spain trip, etc...and when I left my hotel at 9 or 10 am I thought there would be no tickets remaining, but there were. Talk about a confusing, disappointing experience. The "audio guide" (at least in English) was ridiculous, the map had no information on any of the sights, and the tourists...oh the other tourists! They were so insistent on getting pictures of it that they asked me (more like told me) to move when I was trying to adore the tilework and calligraphy. A definite disappointment.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,385,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cash Register View Post
Our family trip to NYC wasn't as great as imagined. Don't get me wrong. Totally appreciated it. But long lines to go up the Empire State Building and it seems every floor you stop on you have to pay for something else. We went in 2004, and we couldn't go up the Statue of Liberty - however a week later, they started letting people go back up to her eye again. Our meals at restaurants included a place that rushed us, an Olive Garden that only served Dr. Pepper on the second floor, and a pizza from Pizza Hut we had to eat standing up because the dining room upstairs was being mopped or swept. Then a crazy guy tried to offer us a ride to the airport on our way back in his car, saying his price was just as low as a taxi's. My mother waved down a taxi to ask them how much their rates were but then he drove off.

A Texan can feel really out of place in New York City.
Why would you eat at Olive Garden or Pizza Hut in NYC?!

There is an endless quantity of local Italian and Italian-American restaurants in the Big Apple for every budget. I honestly don't know what possesses a person to eat a restaurant like TGIF, Applebee's, or Olive Garden when in New York. In Katy, Texas or Andover, Minnesota...maybe. But in NYC? C'mon, you can do better than that.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 AM

6,567 posts, read 4,524,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Buy the express pass and there is little to no wait. I was literally zipped past the long lines as no one else had the express pass. The longest wait I had dealt with was the elevator ride going up ... Cost me 40 bucks but my aching feet thanked me for it

LOL I've lived within 70 miles of New York City my entire life and have only been up to the top of the Empire state Building once..............this past June....................when my cousin's from Illinois come in. Has no interest for me, I see like everything from the top every day anyways.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Quote:
I'm glad that I visited this thread so I can properly plan to see other areas of France versus just visiting Paris.
Here's a suggestion (I did this over Christmas break, the year I was at university in Lyon). Take the train down to the Mediterranean. Stop at maybe Avignon, Arles, Marseilles, Nice, Monaco ... whichever towns take your fancy. I slept at least a night at the towns I listed, and walked around during the day visiting them. Take a tour book with you, to guide your wanderings.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 PM

45 posts, read 66,609 times
Sophie, again me from Buenos Aires, now in LA

If you're coming to the US to go to NYC, you should also consider LA better; if you don't like it, OK, but probably it's unbeatable among big cities in terms of things to do (both cultural and natural), diversity of people, food, etc. It's definitely much more multicultural than most places in the world.

Also, what you describe about the beach in February, how better could it be?? Would you prefer having 1000 people aroud you in 20 meters in the beach?

You just have to give up on trying to understand the city, it's not like other places. It's not meant to be understood, you enojoy it in a different way than you do with other cities. It may have looked dead to you, but it's definitely alive.

At last, people drive cars here and for the most part the city is not walkable, but there some pretty nice (and big) walkable areas. The one I like the most is definitely Downtown LA. And if you don't care about everything I said before, still you have a lot of touristic nice places and landmarks to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, Trimac. I think my dissapointment it doesnt have to do with what LA "is" (wich i can say is a pretty city, despite the highways) but with i was expecting. I was expecting a whole different thing. And realizing that i didnt see people there, and i could see more people everywhere in the little city i came from in Argentina (Mar del Plata, 500,000 hab) made LA feel "dead" to me.
Maybe i shouldnt have expected that.

Its also true i tend to love big metropolis full of people everywhere. Multicultural, with lots of things to do and people all over walking the city. Thats why I LOVE Buenos Aires and moved there from my little city, and thats why i probably would love New York if i go there (and I soo wanna go!)

Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,185,156 times
Madeira.
Rained everyday the week I spent there.
No beach.
Old, mouldy hotels.
Cold ocean water (18°C)
One gets weary of the food staple (bacalao= cod ).
Overpopulated (for such a small, mountainous island), crumbly city center.
The famed "eternal spring" appeared to me rather a prolonged autumn.
And believe it or not Madeira lies at the same latitude (32°NLat) as subtropical Bermuda, where coconut trees grow!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,484,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
Chicago o hare terminal 5 what a boring and ugly place is that, and this is the biggest airport in the world
Not exactly intended to be a tourist destination or attraction. That's like saying the place you had your car towed to when it broke down in the Indiana Toll Road.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,484,766 times
I don't know if I posted this here before or not. My wife says the most disappointing place was Shell Beach, Louisiana. She took her daughters on a trip to the Gulf Coast, and in New Orleans, she found a place on the map called Shell Beach. The road there ended at a loading dock for the Shell Oil Company's tankers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or