U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,605,931 times

Advertisements

I was disappointed with Myrtle Beach,SC. The core of the disappointment was not Myrtle Beach itself,but that it was over-hyped by so many people that I had talked to prior to actually going there myself. After being there for 1/2 a day,I don't know what I was expecting, but found I was let down by thinking it would be a supersized version of Wildwood NJ and it's not. Nor should it be, because it should have it's own entity and image and not be some copycat version of another beach somewhere in NJ. But it just wasn't what I was used to nor did it have those very same features that I loved most about Wildwood when I spent summer vacations there while growing up.

Wildwood NJ has its bustling boardwalk that is miles long, complete with its own tramcar that you can ride and is packed with eateries, shops and even has a few piers with big amusement parks on them. The town of Wildwood itself is quaint and very walkable with cute ice cream parlors and other shops.Wildwood has its own very distinctive and very cool style.

When I was in Myrtle Beach we always had to get in our car and drive to get everywhere. A mistake for me was going there in August while the weather was just too hot. Swimming in the ocean felt like taking a warm bath. In New Jersey the water is considerably cooler which feels great to swim in after spending time lying on the beach.

I probably should have went to Myrtle earlier in season or, maybe if I was a golfer I probably would have enjoyed it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM

102 posts, read 172,790 times
Anywhere that had an unpleasant atmosphere, and unkempt places with unsightly architecture.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,634,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The very first place that pops into my head is Omaha, Nebraska. Never, ever, ever again. Ever. Granted, I had no expectations but it managed to leave a very bitter impression!
lmfao

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM

351 posts, read 552,330 times
We don't travel very much.

But Blowing Rock, NC. Its nothing but a big rock at the edge of a small mountain.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
There isn't much to see or do or photograph in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Most people are named Ian and Heather McDonald, same as in Nova Scotia.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM

329 posts, read 793,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I'm going to go w/Hollywood, you have this picture in your mind of all these studios and a very glamorous place, and it's like there is the sign up on the hill, walk of fame, the Kodak Theater and that's it. 2 blocks away there are prostitutes and people bumming for $$. Wasn't that impressed at all w/it, now Malibu & Beverly Hills were a different story.

That was my experience with Hollywood, I had such high expectations and I saw the Hollywood sign but it just didn't seem as great as I thought it would. I wasn't really impressed with Beverly Hills either.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
Madeira : not what it is hyped up to be ("A Subtropical Paradise") : basically a mountain in the sea with NO BEACHES (the Atlantic around Madeira is very cold anyway), very rainy and changing weather, feels like a chunk of Ireland or Brittany down in front of Morocco's coast!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
In the US, Memphis. That town is deader than Elvis, unfortunately. Tourists only visit to hear the blues on Beale, visit Graceland, Sun Records and a few museums which is precisely what I did. Still I kind of enjoyed being there...the town actually has some handsome buildings but streetlife downtown is pretty bad.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,196,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In the US, Memphis. That town is deader than Elvis, unfortunately. Tourists only visit to hear the blues on Beale, visit Graceland, Sun Records and a few museums which is precisely what I did. Still I kind of enjoyed being there...the town actually has some handsome buildings but streetlife downtown is pretty bad.
Yeah, Memphis is kind of a hole even by American inner-city standards.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM

4,938 posts, read 7,595,175 times
This is a great thread for those of us who consider the merits of visiting a place by the few landmarks known and then get the real scoop- or at least a few different perceptions.

I'm a pretty adventurous guy- I especially love architecture (I am one), urban density, old houses and people watching- along with museums, shows, parks and rec. There are very few places that I wouldn't find at least something interesting to entertain me for a while. And I love walking (last time I was in NYC we walked from our hotel on Times Square to Brooklyn- hitting the High Line along the way (love it!), WTC site, across the bridge- that's a typical walk for us) I can imagine that there are so many places where if you don't love to walk (uh, that would be just about all Americans except New Yorkers LOL) there would be so many places you would be disappointed in, because you can never get the flavor of a place without experiencing it on the ground- and more than a couple of blocks. Also, going to a place like NYC and complaining about your experience in an Olive Garden and Pizza Hut says so much about your sense of adventure (or lack thereof) that you probably are never going to "get" a place like NYC. Also, a place like L.A. based on movie perceptions and seen from the highway, tour bus or one or two neighborhoods is going to forever disappoint- it is a city that takes a bit digging around and is absolutely wonderful in so many ways. Even a mostly wretched place like Vegas is fun to people watch and party at night for 48 hours

Having said that I will say that accidentally de-training in Genoa (it was supposed to be Venice-long story) was a major disappointment, and Germany, other than the Rhine and the Deutsches Museum in Munich, is generally nothing to write home about (I would love to go to Berlin though). It looks like there will be no trips to Memphis, Orlando, Louisville and Omaha unless I have absolutely nothing better to do from the posts here haha.

I am going on a small trip to Phoenix in a couple of weeks to visit some good friends who are from here and have bought a small vacation house in the old part of town and swear its a great area. I've always been a huge Phoenix detractor because of its reputation for sprawl and dusty boringness so it will be interesting to see if it can show me a little slice that is redeemable- or will it be just as bad as everybody says?

I'll check in later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or