Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Most disappointing place you've visited?
The U.S. has a number of sizable cities that are completely forgettable: Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Houston, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Phoenix, Charlotte. Yes, I've been to all of them and I know that each of these places has an area or two with some charm. And, no, none of these mundane metropolises threaten Camden, NJ's position as armpit of the nation. But overall these cities are just total yawners -- dull and entirely unremarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The U.S. has a number of sizable cities that are completely forgettable: Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Houston, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Phoenix, Charlotte. Yes, I've been to all of them and I know that each of these places has an area or two with some charm. And, no, none of these mundane metropolises threaten Camden, NJ's position as armpit of the nation. But overall these cities are just total yawners -- dull and entirely unremarkable.
I'd love to be able to wander round Camden. A friend drove me through parts of it and there's some lovely old buildings there falling to pieces

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I try to keep an open mind and appreciate places for what they are when I travel. I love Vegas, even though I'm "supposed to" despise the place as an urban/city enthusiast. But I couldn't help but hate Phoenix. It's Las Vegas without the Strip or Fremont Street.
Phoenix, I never understand why people would live there voluntarily.

The only thing I found going for it was Pizzeria Bianco, one of the best pizza restaurants around. Had to wait 3 hours to get in though.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I'd love to be able to wander round Camden. A friend drove me through parts of it and there's some lovely old buildings there falling to pieces
Highlights of Camden: people lining up to buy hard liquor at 8 AM, bums everywhere, needles and drug baggies everywhere littering the streets.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM

271 posts, read 393,971 times
The Planet Earth...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Shreveport, Looweeezyanna. What a pit.
Couldn't say it any better. I went through there once, years ago, and vowed I would never return. Ugh.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Outside of Adelaide (my hometown), a tourist thing called the 'Lost Lake' in the mountains of TN. It's meant to be a subterranean lake, reached via a trek through a cave. Supposedly you end up on a pier jutting out over the lake.
After much stumbling along in the dark, following the breakneck pace of the guide, there it was. Waaaaaaay out there, a sort of ...shiny puddle of water. I think. Oh yes, it was 'lost' alright.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
"Philadelphia! I spent a week there one Sunday." ---W C Fields

Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,114 times
chicago. I utterly hate it! having grown up here though perhaps it has grown a negative void inside of me, the only thing really note worthy is north avenue beach, and the church's are quite beautiful. everything else is your typical big city, no one cares, cops are rude, and theres always an obnoxious group of kid walking around at night.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
I'm going to go w/Hollywood, you have this picture in your mind of all these studios and a very glamorous place, and it's like there is the sign up on the hill, walk of fame, the Kodak Theater and that's it. 2 blocks away there are prostitutes and people bumming for $$. Wasn't that impressed at all w/it, now Malibu & Beverly Hills were a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel