U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,583,468 times

Advertisements

Actually Hollywood is getting better i.e. Hollywood Blvd. - however, it's in danger of becoming a totally tacky tourist trap. Tulsa has some cool Art Deco buildings downtown and if you are into bizarre Mid-Century Modern, go to ORU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
Anywhere on a cruise.

No free broadband? Bye.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Honolulu - (largely due to 'cursed attitude' of locals who often treat tourists like dirt). I hope your reception is better than mine.

Oahu has some redeeming features, but in several return trips to HI, I only schedule enough time in Honolulu to visit Pearl Harbor.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,419,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I'm going to go w/Hollywood, you have this picture in your mind of all these studios and a very glamorous place, and it's like there is the sign up on the hill, walk of fame, the Kodak Theater and that's it. 2 blocks away there are prostitutes and people bumming for $$. Wasn't that impressed at all w/it, now Malibu & Beverly Hills were a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Actually Hollywood is getting better i.e. Hollywood Blvd. - however, it's in danger of becoming a totally tacky tourist trap. Tulsa has some cool Art Deco buildings downtown and if you are into bizarre Mid-Century Modern, go to ORU.

We're in Hollywood pretty frequently, since all our visitors want to go there. Every single person we've taken there has been disappointed! It truly is a dump and I feel like I'm about to get mugged walking down Hollywood Blvd! I was there 2 weeks ago and it just seems to be getting worse with each visit!

Buckeye, my friends had the same vision as you. They basically think they're going to see some glamorous section, like they see on tv. Then they realize that in order to even get a good picture of the Hollywood sign, one must drive to a horse farm where the view is unobstructed. We've looked long and hard for the best spot, and that seems to be it! And yes, those same people loved Beverly Hills!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,882,421 times
I would totally agree with Hollywood as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I live here, and I get to the Strip perhaps once a year. For entertainment of a different kind. I giggle, laugh to myself, shake my head in disbelief, at the sheep mentality of monkey-see-monkey-do Americans, undeniably the least adventuresome travelers of the world with only safety on their minds.

If you've been only to the Strip here, you haven't been to Las Vegas.

The smarter travelers to Las Vegas, bypass the Strip, hightail it out of here with a rental car for Valley of the Fire, Mt. Charleston, Death Valley, Mt. Zion/Bryce Nat'l Parks, or head over to Mammoth Lakes or Bishop.

Myself, I've really never been disappointed in any place I've traveled to, as I always find some redeeming features anywhere.

But, recently, having been to Tulsa, OK, I would say that city came closest to being very disappointing.
The bolded above as well as Hoover dam we did see and they were awesome..perhaps I should clarify ..it was the Vegas Strip that did not impress me

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,043,676 times
I'd say most dissapointed, in towns I visited on a cross country road trip. Towns that were rated as "best places to live" online or in magazines. I purposely planned my route to make stops in these towns in various states. High expectations. I was searching for a Norman Rockwell retirement town and left thinking, "huh?"
Mt. Rushmore is a bit dissapointing. I think it's awesome, no doubt. But a lot smaller than you'd think by looking at pictures. I wish I could live long enough to see the Crazy Horse Memorial finished, that's going to be insane.
I like Omaha, NE. I've visited a few times. I've never been bored there and the people are super friendly. "Forwardness" with the opposite sex seems to be part of the culture there, which was a refreshing constrast to California.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,873,591 times
Meremac Caverns, Missouri

Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,665,405 times
Atlantic City, NJ [Where the sewer meets the sea]

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,385,160 times
I`ve seen a few but Phoenix would be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or