U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,438,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Portland, Oregon has many nice features, but be prepared to deal with a huge homeless population that is constantly panhandling. Also, the climate takes some getting used too. It seems to rain practically all the time.
You haven't seen a huge homeless population til you've been to San Diego! They are everywhere here, it's unbelievable. I have never been to or lived in any city with such a huge homeless population. They are in all the neighborhoods, at every traffic light, in every canyon, and everything in between. The worst part? They don't leave you alone and are pretty violent, which can be scary. I guess because of our perfect weather, even the homeless want to live here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,116,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I was in downtown Camden once, at the height of what would have been rush hour if there were any jobs there. What struck me wasn't the dilapidation -- honestly downtown didn't look that awful -- but how empty the downtown area was, at a time when people should have been streaming out of the buildings and into the streets on their way home. There was this shiny, brand-new looking PATCO station and not one soul was standing on the platform, at 5pm on a weekday.
Agreed, at least from the one time I was driven through Camden. The streets were surprisingly free of traffic and there weren't that many people around either

Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 AM

5,852 posts, read 8,627,855 times
I generally find something to like in any place I visited. I can't think of a place I visited that truly disappointed me, at least relative to my expectations.

I didn't like Atlantic City, but I was expecting it to be shoddy, so there was no surprise or disappointment. It's funny to see people mentioning places like Camden and other cities that are dumpy and have bad reputations. What were you expecting?

I have no desire to go to Las Vegas for the reasons some of the earlier posters mentioned. I have been to Orlando, but not for a long time.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,116,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It's funny to see people mentioning places like Camden and other cities that are dumpy and have bad reputations. What were you expecting?
Please don't think that I was being critical of Camden NJ; I find places like Camden and South Philadelphia have a tremendous amount of character, great places to take photos. Give me Brooklyn over Manhattan any day

Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,337,974 times
I don't think the issue is that you were critical of Camden. It's easy to be critical of Camden and places like it and not many people (except the rare few that live there and actually -- *shudder* -- like it) would take issue with being critical of Camden.

The issue is being "disappointed" with Camden, which is to say that Camden is widely known as an urban wasteland, so to have any expectations of it at all above that threshold is a little odd. Camden is hardly known to overpromise and underdeliver.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,438,948 times
I'm from Jersey and am still wondering why anyone in their right mind would visit Camden?? This thread is about most disappointing place you visited, and it seems that quite a few planned vacations in Camden. I lived in Jersey for 17 years and have not once stepped foot in that city. That's not my idea of a vacation destination!

Passing through doesn't really qualify as visiting, since those aren't planned. I don't count the places I had to drive through to get to another place, sometimes you have to go through the bad to get to the good.

I get most of the other responses...Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix are all common vacation destination. But Camden? Someone enlighten me??

Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,337,974 times
Nobody vacations in Camden. I would guess the large majority of Camden visitors actually came to see Philadelphia and thought to themselves, "as long as Camden is right next door, let's go see if it's really as awful as everyone says it is."

Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,049,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Mt. Rushmore is impressive but one can only sit and look at it so much.

However I really liked the Black Hills and drove around quite a bit through there. Some of the towns like Rapid City and Keystone are a bit tacky, but Keystone had one of the best pizza places around so you can't beat that.
I spent an hour in the Black Hills. No way near enough time, I hope to go again someday and spend a least a few days. Which reminds me, Deadwood. It's historic, but a tourist trap waste of time was my impression.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 PM

467 posts, read 1,695,165 times
I'll go with Philadelphia, Vegas, West Palm Beach. In Europe, I was bored in Milan and Prague.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,435,212 times
Visited Okefenokee Swamp 2007 is there any water in it yet? and the nearest town Waycross was closed, is it always like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or