Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terramama View Post
Coney Island: I’d read a flattering NYTimes article on CI, and on a visit to NYC, I convinced my friend from Manhattan to come along, telling her it would be a fun, “quirky” day trip. After a particularly long and unpleasant train ride to get there, we didn’t find one redeeming quality in the place; it was a veritable dump. Yeah, my friend was terribly unhappy with me over that one.
I was SO disappointed with Coney Island, much of it seemed to be shut down (I was there in June 2009). Actually, photographing the boarded-up buildings was about the most interesting thing I found there was to do. many Russians there as well!

Last edited by MB2; 05-04-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM

80 posts, read 278,127 times
DETROIT... Make sure your gun is loaded & have a couple backups......
A couple knives could come in handy too...
Now, after dark, it gets really bad......

Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,451,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongohateswinter View Post
DETROIT... Make sure your gun is loaded & have a couple backups......
A couple knives could come in handy too...
Now, after dark, it gets really bad......

LMAO!!!
I am sorry for laughing.
But I've always wanted to visit Detroit.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
LMAO!!!
I am sorry for laughing.
But I've always wanted to visit Detroit.
If nothing else I'd like to catch a game at Comerica Park and check out Greektown and maybe the Ford Museum and other places of historic importance to the auto industry. I sure doubt I'd care to spend more than a couple days there though...

Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Funny, while Detroit is not our #1 city, we didn't find it to be as bad as the pp made it out to be. We had no issues walking from our hotel to restaurants, loved their farmers market, and found the people to be friendly. Just like every single big city in the US, they have some rough neighborhoods but most tourists tend to stay away from them. We did not see them the entire time we were there.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Mrs Tek works for the Fed and in the early 80's they wanted to send her to Detroit for classes. I, for the only time before or since, told her she wasn't going. Apparently the reaction was widespread as the class was canceled.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Agree with several posters on -Orlando.Zero appeal outside of visitng Mickey with little ones.

Raleigh, what a bland,empty bore. Nothing there to the city (Duke was nice) We refused to even stay there but went over to Chapel Hill (nice)
Same with Charlotte. Had a job opportunity in either place and we turned it down afer a visit. Strip mall/sub division explosion.
Agree with the poster who said, the whole state of North Carolina-with the exception of Asheville area,was a major let down. I never expected chocolate brown lakes either. And the TRASH long the Hi-way roads,disgusting.

Major let down in Northern California, Aracta , Ferndale,Eureka and Crescent City. Had it in my head that these were my "dream towns'. Took a road trip and wow. Seeing the pictures and being there in person was a shock. Very run down,poor, - Lovely surrounding scenery though.

Last edited by nanannie; 05-03-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 AM

144 posts, read 460,707 times
Florence the first time I went there was extremely disappointing. It was because of how people had made it out to be so I had these expectations that were never met. I've since been back and thoroughly enjoyed it but its still not at the top of my places to spend time in Europe at.

Vienna is one I would list as disappointing. The whole, drab, grey, non-smiling, descriptions people were leveling at Munich, I level at Vienna.

In the US, Charleston was highly disappointing. People later told us you're either a Charleston person or a Savannah person, and I'm definitely the latter. Charleston just seemed over-priced and boring. Walkable, yes, but there really wasn't much to do.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Branson, Missouri was the worse place we visited. The shows are all hokey, the heat and humidity oppressive and the traffic bumper to bumper. There was nothing to do there unless you were into the hokey shows. Never again.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Agree with several posters on -Orlando.Zero appeal outside of visitng Mickey with little ones.

Raleigh, what a bland,empty bore. Nothing there to the city (Duke was nice) We refused to even stay there but went over to Chapel Hill (nice)
Same with Charlotte. Had a job opportunity in either place and we turned it down afer a visit. Strip mall/sub division explosion.
Agree with the poster who said, the whole state of North Carolina-with the exception of Asheville area,was a major let down. I never expected chocolate brown lakes either. And the TRASH long the Hi-way roads,disgusting.

Major let down in Northern California, Aracta , Ferndale,Eureka and Crescent City. Had it in my head that these were my "dream towns'. Took a road trip and wow. Seeing the pictures and being there in person was a shock. Very run down,poor, - Lovely surrounding scenery though.
I could have wrote this post ! lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel