U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have a sinking feeling that the airlines will start enforcing it soon. Not only is it to a point where it is disrupting flights, but they are losing revenue (from checked in baggage).
The only question is how they enforce it, at the gate? at check-in? I am sure the airlines will solve it. I predict this by the end of the year.
I really hope they do. I suspect they haven't before because they can't face the endless whining and yelling from people who will insist they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE THAT BAG with them on the plane, but seriously, how difficult is it to fit the stuff you need into a standard size carry-on or large tote? My family and I travel domestically and internationally every year and we manage just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Good points. People seem to lose all manners when they fly. I'd like to add two:
1. There is no point in jumping up, grabbing your bags, standing impatiently as soon as landing, then pushing people to get going.
2. When boarding pay attention to when it is YOUR turn to get in the queue. I hate when everybody gets in the queue as soon as they call people with kids/disabled, 1st and business.
This is something I do every flight, even short ones.

Why?

Because I had Polio in my right leg when I was four and by the time I've spent 20 minutes scrunched up in an airline seat I'm in agony. At the end of a two hour flight the only thing I have on my mind is getting OUT OF THAT TINY SEAT! To see me you would never know I was afflicted, but my body knows.

If you see a tall man scrambling to get up and stand - in obvious pain - that's me. Please be understanding. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I really hope they do. I suspect they haven't before because they can't face the endless whining and yelling from people who will insist they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE THAT BAG with them on the plane, but seriously, how difficult is it to fit the stuff you need into a standard size carry-on or large tote? My family and I travel domestically and internationally every year and we manage just fine.
Well, if the airlines don't take action, the government will.

AirportBusiness.com Article Carry-on bags may be getting out of hand (http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=35400&pageNum=1 - broken link)

Proposed legistlation for carry-on size restrictions, to be enforced by the TSA. I am the last one that is for government involvement, but I will make an exception in this case.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM

8,916 posts, read 13,662,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland
1. There is no point in jumping up, grabbing your bags, standing impatiently as soon as landing, then pushing people to get going.
I used to jump up to get my bags as soon as I could if I was in an aisle seat - not because I think I'll get off the plane quicker but because the aisles quickly become crowded and then it's impossible to get your bag out until the deboarding begins and people start clearing out. Then I'm in a rush to get my bag out so I'm not holding the people behind me up.

I don't stand impatiently or push people though! After getting my bag, I tried to get back in my row so others can get their bags. By grabbing my bag quickly, I'm actually trying to be considerate of others by getting quickly out of the way for them.

Anyway, I say I used to do that because I now just avoid the whole issue by using a carry on small enough to fit under the seat in front of me! I seriously hope they don't ever change that rule to carry ons in the overhead only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

On #3) Also agree...BUT, don't go through the plane aisles with the garbage bag like you are doing the 100 yard dash. Usually by the time I see the FA with the bag and gather my garabage, she is gone past me. Give us a chance to throw the garbage away. Maybe do it more than once.
I was going to comment on that too. Not only the speed at which they pass but also the lack of interest. Plenty of times when I've been in a non-aisle seat, the FA passes with the trash bag without even seeing I have trash to throw out. Since I can't exactly vault myself across the person in the aisle seat to reach the trash bag in time, I really don't think I can be blamed. I have once or twice shouted out to them but I feel it's a bit rude - I figure if everyone was shouting out for the FA's attention, it would be mayhem.

If the FA's really want passengers to throw out their trash, they could try paying attention a little more. Doesn't bother me if the trash is left there, I'm trying to be considerate and they just wiz passed like they don't care.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,311 times
If it's not wintertime and all I have in the overhead is my backpack, then I'll get up about an hour before landing and put it under the seat in front of me. Then I don't have to deal with others while I'm trying to get my bag after landing.

In my carry on I keep stuff to entertain myself and anything I really don't want stolen or lost - laptop, ipod, camera, etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is something I do every flight, even short ones.

Why?

Because I had Polio in my right leg when I was four and by the time I've spent 20 minutes scrunched up in an airline seat I'm in agony. At the end of a two hour flight the only thing I have on my mind is getting OUT OF THAT TINY SEAT! To see me you would never know I was afflicted, but my body knows.

If you see a tall man scrambling to get up and stand - in obvious pain - that's me. Please be understanding. Thanks.
You have a good reason, but the majority do not.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
If it's not wintertime and all I have in the overhead is my backpack, then I'll get up about an hour before landing and put it under the seat in front of me. Then I don't have to deal with others while I'm trying to get my bag after landing.
Not all carry ons fit under the seat though, even if they meet size restrictions. Especially if you get an aisle seat, there is sometimes some kind of box under the seat, I think it's the electrics for the TV screens on the backs of the seats. It makes the space for a carry on even smaller. I often reserve an aisle seat when I travel alone so I had to specifically buy a new carry on just to fit under the seat.

But if it fits under the seat, why put it in the overhead to begin with? I just keep it under the seat the whole flight.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Not all carry ons fit under the seat though, even if they meet size restrictions. Especially if you get an aisle seat, there is sometimes some kind of box under the seat, I think it's the electrics for the TV screens on the backs of the seats. It makes the space for a carry on even smaller. I often reserve an aisle seat when I travel alone so I had to specifically buy a new carry on just to fit under the seat.

But if it fits under the seat, why put it in the overhead to begin with? I just keep it under the seat the whole flight.
Because none of my flights are short and I like the room for my feet.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,561,223 times
Maybe the airlines SHOULD assign the sapce in the overhead area above each seat to that passanger. Then those people with too many/big bags would have to check them. Or, those of us traveling light could seb-lease our unused space. "Sure, you can put your bag in my space... if you buy me a beer for $7". Capitalism at its best.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Because none of my flights are short and I like the room for my feet.
You must be tall! I'm short and don't have this problem, even on long flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or