U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times

Advertisements

I loved the video about United - an airline I avoid at all costs. I have never had a good flight experience with them and have come to the conclusion that they go out of their way to make flights as miserable as possible.

I think my all time favorite was a connecting flight that was about 5 minutes late landing. The plane we were supposed to get on was at the gate adjacent to the one we landed at. The plane at that gate left 10 minutes early and refused to wait for us. I've sat in their planes for 15 minutes past departure while they did whatever they do to irritate passengers and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I simply refuse to board a United plane. I'll drive first.

I liked the idea someone had earlier. Assigned overheads. If you have a seat you get the overhead above you. If your bag takes up more than it's fair share of that bin it gets gate checked. I would say I'm amazed the airlines haven't thought of this, but then I think about the airline companies in general and reconsider. If you pitch a ***** the marshall on board will remove you from the plane (or at least give you a slap upside the head and tell you to sit down and behave). Yeah I know, I'm a dreamer.

And an open comment to airline companies in general. I will, I repeat, I will pay more for a ticket if you remove some of the annoyances associated with your flights. I can afford it and will gladly pay it. I have been looking at flights to London and to me the difference in cost between sitting in back with the cattle and having the room to lie down and take a nap (or just sleep the whole way) is not enough to keep me from buying that upgraded seat. I do, however, stop at buying those "business class" seats up front in most planes. I sat in one once and I hurt just as much when I got up as I do when sitting in the coach section. There the extra cost is not justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And an open comment to airline companies in general. I will, I repeat, I will pay more for a ticket if you remove some of the annoyances associated with your flights. I can afford it and will gladly pay it. I have been looking at flights to London and to me the difference in cost between sitting in back with the cattle and having the room to lie down and take a nap (or just sleep the whole way) is not enough to keep me from buying that upgraded seat. I do, however, stop at buying those "business class" seats up front in most planes. I sat in one once and I hurt just as much when I got up as I do when sitting in the coach section. There the extra cost is not justified.
Which airline did you find business class uncomfortable? I've been in nice business class and in very comfortable, luxurious business class with lie flat beds. On long haul cattle class flights I feel like I've been tortured by the time we land. In business class I get off feeling rested and refreshed. I don't pay for biz though, it's upgrades using airmiles.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
I think it was American, many years ago. I'm 6'-2 and the leg room wasn't exceptional any any means. I think the lie flat is the way to go when we visit Europe.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I think it was American, many years ago. I'm 6'-2 and the leg room wasn't exceptional any any means. I think the lie flat is the way to go when we visit Europe.
Lie flats are great although they are narrow and you can't roll over easily. My favourite airline is Emirates. They now have showers for those in business and first!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Just because you have a seat does NOT mean that the overhead over you is YOURS.
This is the problem right there, why not enforce it? It is very simple to enforce, if a passenger wants to put his bag in the overhead space corresponding to his seat and if there is something else already in there then take it out and send it to be checked.

If everyone knew that they cannot just put luggage anywhere except their own alloted space and they have limited space or risk having their luggage taken out they will be more careful.

I have seen people bring huge suitcases onboard, it is just ridiculous! On the other hand checked baggage insurance is so weak that people are scared to have their items there. The airlines should be fully accountable for everything at full replacement value for checked baggage if the items are declared at checkin. They can inspect the contents to verify that those items are actually there if they please.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,070 times
Ahhh..lounging FAs. I am totally horrified by them. They embarass me. I am N O T one of them. When I work in First especially, I never sit down. If I am not directly serving my passengers, I am helping out in the back. But yes, there are some who are simply lazy and have no work ethic. I am sorry if you have had to experience them, but know that not all of us are like that. And when I come across one, I would like to boot them off the trip.

As for Non-revs in First class...really, that almost never happens anymore. I non rev all the time and haven't seen First in a very very long time. I agree, the passengers with lots of frequent flyer status should be put up there..BUT...the FAs do N O T have anything to do with upgrading anyone. That is done at the gate...we have no way to know what anyone's milage status is and trust me, we get asked to do it all the time and have to say no.

I agree with you that DL does a very good job (message board at the boarding gate) of letting folks know if they will be upgraded. Wish we would do that too.

Oh, by the way, as far as upgrading people to First...if I have a service man or woman in uniform and I have open seats in First, I upgrade them. It may be "against the rules" but I see no harm in doing it.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Here is a reply to the overhead situation. Can any of you explain how we, the FAs, can enforce the "overhead is mine" concept? there are 3 of us,there are 120-180(depending on aircraft type) of you(and almost ALL of you have lots of carry-ons). We are REQUIRED to stay at the front and back of the aircraft during boarding (security rules). Who is going to enforce that Passenger A puts his carry on in Passenger A's overhead and not Passenger B's overhead? And what about a family of 4...mom, dad, and their darlings, Lily(age 3) and Tristan(age 5) who each bring their "allowed" full sized roller board and one "personal item"? "there is ONE overhead for the family and 4+ bags. Folks, it just wont work.

Also, are you aware that every airplane...say, a Boeing 737-400 can only hold about 50 roller boards in the overheads? That plane holds in excess of 140 passengers. You do the math. Anyone got an amazing shrinking magic wand? Cause seems to me...that means about half of the passengers will have too many carry ons. And sadly, its first come, first serve for the space. The planes were simply not designed to allow every passenger to bring on luggage.

Oh, and then its suggested that we can then "take it out and send it to be checked". Really? Do you know whats involved with that? it means a flight attendant must find and pull the excess baggage at the very end of the boarding process, a gate agent at the ready with bag tags,(right, one already overworked gate agent per flight, thats all that the company will allow) find out what the final destination city is, where the owner is sitting, write out the tag, carry the bag to the door, call and alert bag handlers that X # of bags must now be stowed in the already closed-in-preparation-for departure bins under the planes to be re-opened, etc. Its not as simple as it sounds. And don't forget, we MUST get that flight out ON TIME or the passengers may mis connect to their ongoing flight.

Fine, we gate check the excess bags. Do you know how much time that adds to boarding? Do you have any idea how closely we M U S T stay to our appointed take off time? I don't know the solution to this. Yes, the airlines have brought a lot of this on themselves by charging for checked bags. But the reason for that is, almost 100% of the flying public choose their flights by price. If one airline is even $10 more than the next, the higher price will not be selected. Our airlines operate on a razor thin profit margin as it is, revenue is king. Airfares are unrealistically low.

Groan...its a real problem and I don't know the solution.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 AM

We often choose the back rows on a flight because they are only 2 seats instead of 3 - 1 window, 1 aisle and we're both happy. We don't usually get an overhead compartment because it is already filled with airline equipment or FA bags. So where would our bags go if not above someone else's seat?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Good question, Yankinscotland. I dont know what to tell you. I have a feeling that the FAA could step in and mandate baggage size down to no larger than 18" and only ONE carry on ..this means no purses, no briefcases, etc.in addition to your suitcase. Its how its done in Europe and Asia and boarding there is a breeze. Nobody there tries to bring on bags the size of body bags. The rules there are strictly enforced.

Do I want to see it come to this? no. Will it have to? could be.

BTW, yeah, FA bags MUST be in the overheads too. What else could we do with them?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,561,223 times
I've always felt carry ons were for things you would need to get to DURING the flight-- things like books, music players, snacks, and toothbrush and toothpaste for those long trans-Pacific flights. What are people bringing in those 'bodybag' sized bags? Is it just people that don't want to wait at the luggage carrisole to pick up checked bags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or