U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 PM

28,293 posts, read 39,985,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Here is a reply to the overhead situation. Can any of you explain how we, the FAs, can enforce the "overhead is mine" concept? there are 3 of us,there are 120-180(depending on aircraft type) of you(and almost ALL of you have lots of carry-ons). We are REQUIRED to stay at the front and back of the aircraft during boarding (security rules). Who is going to enforce that Passenger A puts his carry on in Passenger A's overhead and not Passenger B's overhead? And what about a family of 4...mom, dad, and their darlings, Lily(age 3) and Tristan(age 5) who each bring their "allowed" full sized roller board and one "personal item"? "there is ONE overhead for the family and 4+ bags. Folks, it just wont work.

Also, are you aware that every airplane...say, a Boeing 737-400 can only hold about 50 roller boards in the overheads? That plane holds in excess of 140 passengers. You do the math. Anyone got an amazing shrinking magic wand? Cause seems to me...that means about half of the passengers will have too many carry ons. And sadly, its first come, first serve for the space. The planes were simply not designed to allow every passenger to bring on luggage.

Oh, and then its suggested that we can then "take it out and send it to be checked". Really? Do you know whats involved with that? it means a flight attendant must find and pull the excess baggage at the very end of the boarding process, a gate agent at the ready with bag tags,(right, one already overworked gate agent per flight, thats all that the company will allow) find out what the final destination city is, where the owner is sitting, write out the tag, carry the bag to the door, call and alert bag handlers that X # of bags must now be stowed in the already closed-in-preparation-for departure bins under the planes to be re-opened, etc. Its not as simple as it sounds. And don't forget, we MUST get that flight out ON TIME or the passengers may mis connect to their ongoing flight.

Fine, we gate check the excess bags. Do you know how much time that adds to boarding? Do you have any idea how closely we M U S T stay to our appointed take off time? I don't know the solution to this. Yes, the airlines have brought a lot of this on themselves by charging for checked bags. But the reason for that is, almost 100% of the flying public choose their flights by price. If one airline is even $10 more than the next, the higher price will not be selected. Our airlines operate on a razor thin profit margin as it is, revenue is king. Airfares are unrealistically low.

Groan...its a real problem and I don't know the solution.
I find two things confusing here.

1. For the overhead problem you speak of a family of four and the problem of where to put everything if the overheads are allotted to a seat. Well, where do they put it all now? If everyone on a plane has their gear stowed when a plane takes off now, the only difference I see is that you know your overhead is yours to use. Where is the difference?

2. The practice of charging for checked luggage being an argument related to ticket cost is ridiculous (not on your part, but the airlines in general). If a ticket is going to cost me $145 on flight A and checking my bag is $40, then a ticket on flight B costing me $185 dollars with free baggage check is a no-brainer. Either one works for me. Just charge a price for the stupid ticket and skip all the baggage fees. At least make my first bag free before charging if it makes the airlines feel better. Actually, if the above choice presented itself to me I would choose the flight with no baggage check fees. No reason to encourage the idiots running flight A now is there?

I appreciate all your comments BTW, it's nice to get the "other side of the story" since we rarely seem to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,569,282 times
Maybe the online booking services should list all the fees associated with each flight and not just the ticket price. Maybe then there wouldn't be so much pressure on ticket price alone.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,435,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Reading through this thread reminds me how much I really hate to fly.I have a flight scheduled for next month and I am not really looking forward to it. I'm old enough to remember that in the distant past flying was a somewhat enjoyable experience.
This all came about with cut price airlines pushing for more profit but it also allows more people to travel. Having said that travellers are their own worst enemy they push and shove and everyone wants to get off at the same time ...whats the hurry???

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM

14,278 posts, read 24,050,959 times
I think that I will continue to book all my travel on Southwest so that I do not have to evaluate the impact of all of these fees. It makes life simpler.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,094,480 times
Advise to airlines: put kids and parents in their own section (as as far away from young adults (no offense) as possible. Until you've had kids (babysitting does not count), you have no idea how much their fidgetiness is out of our control.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 PM

9,244 posts, read 9,310,539 times
Good points. People seem to lose all manners when they fly. I'd like to add two:
1. There is no point in jumping up, grabbing your bags, standing impatiently as soon as landing, then pushing people to get going.
2. When boarding pay attention to when it is YOUR turn to get in the queue. I hate when everybody gets in the queue as soon as they call people with kids/disabled, 1st and business.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Honestly, why the hell should the rest of us not crowd in front of first class passengers? I would never push a disabled person out of the way, but there is no reason why I should subsidize the airlines first class passengers. If the airline wants to give these privileged folks a break that's there business. If I get a chance to cheat when it comes to that than I will.

I think America West Airlines is out of business now. I used to hate their boarding practices with a passion. They board first class, business class, "club passengers", etc. I bet there six separate categories before a family with kids older than five could get on the airplane. This isn't like a law people. Its simply a custom established by a business for the benefit of that business.

I appreciate what the Flight Attendant says here. Please appreciate where we passengers are coming from. Flying is much less pleasant than it used to be for passengers. For example:

1. There are those bothersome security checks that can take forever.

2. You don't get a meal anymore even on a five hour flight.

3. Drinks are ridiculously expense and the problem is that they are sort of a "depressant" that helps keep people under control in what can be a crowded as stressful environment.

4. The airlines want to charge baggage fees, special fuel charges, and fees for just about anything.

5. Employees often are the target of customer frustrations simply because they are the corporation. The real culprits may wear three piece suits and sit in corporate offices. However, we never have access to these folks.

I have gone from enjoying flying to literally loathing that part of my vacation. If there were an alternative, I'd take it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,569,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Honestly, why the hell should the rest of us not crowd in front of first class passengers? I would never push a disabled person out of the way, but there is no reason why I should subsidize the airlines first class passengers.
Actually, if you look at the prices those first class passengers are paying, it is THEY who are subsidizing YOU, not the other way around.

Quote:

If the airline wants to give these privileged folks a break that's there business. If I get a chance to cheat when it comes to that than I will.
Nice You remind me of this woman Isaw who waited until the last minute to board the plane. She got on and sat down in a first class seat like it was her's. That's why she waited until the last minute so that she would know if there was an empty seat unassigned in fist class. Well, it didn't work because the guy who actually bought that seat came in a minute after her and she had to move back to her assigned seat in coach.

Quote:

I think America West Airlines is out of business now. I used to hate their boarding practices with a passion. They board first class, business class, "club passengers", etc. I bet there six separate categories before a family with kids older than five could get on the airplane. This isn't like a law people. Its simply a custom established by a business for the benefit of that business.
The gate agents look at your ticket. If you get up there before your row and section have been called they will ask you to step aside and wait your turn.

Quote:
1. There are those bothersome security checks that can take forever.
Better than those bothersome jihadists and their bombs.

Quote:
2. You don't get a meal anymore even on a five hour flight.
When meals were served everyone complained about the quality. Problem solved: bring your own now.

Quote:
I have gone from enjoying flying to literally loathing that part of my vacation. If there were an alternative, I'd take it.
Learn to fly and buy a plane.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM

5,852 posts, read 8,627,855 times
People with a ton of carry on bags drive me crazy. I always check everything except what I absolutely need for the flight. I often have to connect, and it's a major PITA to have to lug carry-on luggage around. And the people who have a ton of carry-on luggage make the boarding and deplaning process much longer and more unpleasant than it needs to be.

People in general are just cattle. I hate flying for that reason. Airplanes today are just buses in the sky. Flying used to have a certain glamour attached to it, but that is long gone.

I'm going to be flying to Europe this summer, so I have to prepare myself. In general, I think international flights are better than domestics. I plan to travel light, and I hate shopping, so I won't be buying a lot of stuff that I need to lug back.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,189,928 times
I have never understood why some people are so loathe to check baggage. It's like it's some sort of badge of honor that they "never check baggage". I have done a good amount of traveling and the only two times my baggage was lost was when it arrived on a flight AHEAD of mine and were waiting for me when I arrived (Bangkok and Maui). Yes, waiting for a slow carousel can be a bit frustrating after a long trip, but it's only 20 minutes or so. Grab a drink, go to the bathroom, deep breathe and your bag will be there. Let the crowds get theirs and then retrieve yours. It beats lugging a heavy carry on, especially when you have a long layover or delay. Take with you on board only what you need for the flight plus important documents, prescription meds and a change of underwear. Try it. You'll like it.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 AM

5,852 posts, read 8,627,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have never understood why some people are so loathe to check baggage. It's like it's some sort of badge of honor that they "never check baggage". I have done a good amount of traveling and the only two times my baggage was lost was when it arrived on a flight AHEAD of mine and were waiting for me when I arrived (Bangkok and Maui). Yes, waiting for a slow carousel can be a bit frustrating after a long trip, but it's only 20 minutes or so. Grab a drink, go to the bathroom, deep breathe and your bag will be there. Let the crowds get theirs and then retrieve yours. It beats lugging a heavy carry on, especially when you have a long layover or delay. Take with you on board only what you need for the flight plus important documents, prescription meds and a change of underwear. Try it. You'll like it.
That's my thinking exactly. Checking bags is a risk, but it has to be weighed against the drudgery of lugging carry-on bags around, especially if there are layovers. I like to travel light and free.

Another issue is security. Most people travel with all sorts of stuff that is no longer allowed in the cabin of the plane. I just find it easier to avoid all this by checking my bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or