U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,442,099 times

Advertisements

I guess I've been lucky in my traveling experiences to date. I don't have any problem checking my one suitcase, and to my knowledge, it has never been randomly searched. I also have a carry-on bag that has my iPod, camera, Fill-It-In puzzles, etc. Because I've always chosen window seats, I never have anyone pushing and shoving me to move into the aisle more quickly either. I stand up just to iron out some of the aches and kinks before I have to walk down the aisle to exit the plane. I only hope things go as well for me when I go to England in less than three weeks.

Even if things went wrong and my luggage was missing, or I missed my connecting flight, whatever... I still would try not to yell at a gate agent or flight attendant. I've worked in customer service, and it's one of the worst jobs ever. Under paid, under appreciated, and over worked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM

111 posts, read 399,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
Im really not too sure where the idea that travelers with carry-ons are novice flyers! I travel at least once a month, both int'lly and domestically and I only use carry-ons.
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I don't recall anybody saying that people that only use carry-ons are novice travelers. Since you travel so much, I'm sure you pack efficiently so a carry-on works fine for you. A lot of people don't and as a result, they use a carry-on just to avoid being charged for checking luggage and then try to pack everything they might need into a carry-on. I've seriously seen one individual take up the whole overhead above his seat and over half of the one in front of his seat. That's clearly too much and that's when the airlines really need to put their foot down about carry-ons.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM

111 posts, read 399,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're joking.

Do you know what bothers flyers the most? It's when people lag and take forever to get their bags and three coats down. By the time the plane chimes that last time indicating it's docked, your seat belt should be off and you should be in the process of standing. If you're in an aisle seat you should already have your ONE bag down next to you, and you should be ready to walk out the door as soon as you're able. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. If I'm in aisle 6 I should be out of that door by the 30 second mark from when they open it. If I'm not, the people in first class (or the front seats in Southwest's case) are taking way too long.

It's not rocket science. The problem is that they don't enforce the carryon policy. I've seen females with 3-4 coats, a purse, a laptop bag, and a huge rolling suitcase, and it takes them like 10 minutes to get all of their crap together. When the airlines exercise the same due diligence with carryons that they do with harassing people over their laptop being powered on, it won't be as bad.

If it were up to me, I'd say the only things you can take on the plane are (A) ONE coat per passenger, (B) a purse if you're female, and/or (C) a reasonably sized laptop bag. That's it. Everything else has to be checked in. It's the only way to stop people from holding up the plane exit.

People call me Monk because I do have OCD about certain things. The last time I checked my large bag, I was surprised to open it later and find that all of my stuff had been tossed around, and a note was left on top that told me that my bag was "randomly" checked. I don't like that; there was only clothing, but that's even worse - I don't want strange hands touching my clothes, especially when I'm nowhere near home and can't properly clean them. If you're going to screen my bag by riffling through it, two things: One, no random checks; you tell me in advance that my luggage was selected for screening and that you'll be checking it, and I want verification of sanitation procedures during and after. And two, you put the crap back the way you found it. The airlines of course can't be bothered to do either, so I don't check my luggage until they change that policy. Screw that.
First of all, I can't believe you actually time how long it should take you to get off the plane from row 6. I've been in the window seat of row 2 and taken longer than 30 seconds to get off the plane, but it wasn't because of the people in front of me getting their stuff. It was because of the people behind me trying to push forward, slowing people down instead of speeding them up they way they had hoped.

If the airlines were to conform to your carry-on rules, then that would mean that you too would have to check bags again, which you state that you don't do because of your OCD.

With the random screening, you can't blame the airlines or even ask the airlines to tell you that your bag will be screened in advance because that's the work of TSA, not the airline.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM

239 posts, read 804,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I don't recall anybody saying that people that only use carry-ons are novice travelers. Since you travel so much, I'm sure you pack efficiently so a carry-on works fine for you. A lot of people don't and as a result, they use a carry-on just to avoid being charged for checking luggage and then try to pack everything they might need into a carry-on. I've seriously seen one individual take up the whole overhead above his seat and over half of the one in front of his seat. That's clearly too much and that's when the airlines really need to put their foot down about carry-ons.
Someone did make a small mention of it, but there are way too many posts for me to look, lol!! It stuck out to me because I flew home from FL on Tuesday, and a man was having probs finding a spot for his tennis racket in the overhead, and a man passing said quite rudely 'you must not travel much'...

It had never occured to me that people thought that way, then I heard it 2x in 1 week...

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
My bag is getting smaller each trip as I realize that clothing can generally be worn more than one day unless you are engages in vigorous activity and that most of the hotels have self laundry available.

However, no matter what size the bad, I ALWAYS check the luggage. There is nothing more of a hassle than dragging a bag of any size through the airport. Of course, my bags ALWAYS FLY FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,046,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Great points, especially number 3.

Not only do the flight attendants have to clean the seat pockets, I have to fix them. Those are spring loaded wires that hold the pocket tight. A plastic bottle ruins them every time. Your plane is flown on an average of 8 flights per day. That means if you ruin the pocket on the first flight of the day, seven other people are going to bang their knees into it, and then say what a crappy airplane they were riding in. If I do an overnight, the wheels and brakes get changed first. The plane can't legally fly in the morning without them. That means I most likely won't have time to change a seat pocket that you broke. Passengers have no idea what kind of important stuff gets fixed every night, but they do eyeball all of the cosmetics that don't mean a thing to safety. Driving up the cost of maintenance also drives up the price of a ticket.

The other thing I would add to the list is toilets.

Don't flush anything that you wouldn't flush down your own toilet at home. No diapers, bottles, underwear, wigs, or shoes. Put that stuff in the trash cans.
How about ADDING some type of selfadjusting (straptype) cup holders to the seatbacks so people HAVE a place for them! Also, it would make more sense for planes to put a liner in the seatback pockets. It wouldn't have to be changed each time, but when you get to a seat that has definitely been OVERused and obviously needs refreshed, it will be a quick clean..pull it out, put in a new one and it will also help keep the germs down that HAVE to be multiplying in those pockets! GROSS!

As for the restrooms...Those are the stupidest setups I have ever seen! They need a whole new makeover! Seems they haven't changed since I was a kid. The trash depository is rdiculously small and the design is just POOR all the way around. Also, it would be really nice to be able to get a handwipe exiting the restroom, I hate to use them. If you read about the statistics when you do flush how the germs are spread everywhere, it doesn't matter if you wash your hands..likelihood is your hands are still dirty by the time you finished touching the door.

Also...How about when it's time for snack handing out the handiwipes. You know, the passengers can help you tidy..they usually NEED to anyway. Those tray tables are always sticky and filthy. I usually ask for a wipe to clean it. Maybe you should at least OFFER ..if you need a wipe for your tray table, please let us know.

To that end, if you won't put a liner in the seatback pocket, put a small bag for the passenger to use for all their trash so we don't have to wait on the stewardess to get around to us and as we finish our food items we can put the wrappers with all the crumbs immediately into the bag before the crumbs get dumped into the floor, pocket or onto the tray. Should you not make it back to us, when you make your rounds we can leave a nice tidy bag on our seat that you simply walk by and pick up!

Just some proactive thoughts to make the process better for all!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,740,224 times
The whole point is that those seatback pockets ARE NOT TRASH CANS. They are not there for your convenience. They are not there for your use. They are there for the specific purpose of holding company literature. They are only there to hold a safety card, a barf bag, and a company magazine.

Nothing else is supposed to go in there. We are not going to encourage you to put anything in there by installing a liner.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,046,641 times
Quote:
The whole point is that those seatback pockets ARE NOT TRASH CANS. They are not there for your convenience. They are not there for your use. They are there for the specific purpose of holding company literature. They are only there to hold a safety card, a barf bag, and a company magazine.

Nothing else is supposed to go in there. We are not going to encourage you to put anything in there by installing a liner.
I get YOUR point...the TRAVELER's point is..GIVE US somewhere to put it! Then, it wouldn't get put where it isn't suppose to be!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM

28,232 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:

The average traveler doesn't care. They end up with a bottle of water. They have an empty cup that held some drink you gave them. They have a napkin and a wrapper from some cheesy little snack you gave them. They have pizza boxes and bags and trash from bringing on their own food because the cheap airlines don't serve meals anymore.

Take a wild guess where they ONLY place in that teeny tiny space that is given to them is for storing it until you get around to asking for the trash. And if they are lucky you will actually wait long enough next to their seat to let them collect it so it can be put in the bag you are carrying. If you don't want those pockets used for storage give fliers an option.

Getting all huffy doesn't solve the problem. it just ticks off your customers.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,172,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The average traveler doesn't care. They end up with a bottle of water. They have an empty cup that held some drink you gave them. They have a napkin and a wrapper from some cheesy little snack you gave them. They have pizza boxes and bags and trash from bringing on their own food because the cheap airlines don't serve meals anymore.

Take a wild guess where they ONLY place in that teeny tiny space that is given to them is for storing it until you get around to asking for the trash. And if they are lucky you will actually wait long enough next to their seat to let them collect it so it can be put in the bag you are carrying. If you don't want those pockets used for storage give fliers an option.

Getting all huffy doesn't solve the problem. it just ticks off your customers.
No sh*t, Sherlock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or