Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have never understood why some people are so loathe to check baggage. It's like it's some sort of badge of honor that they "never check baggage". I have done a good amount of traveling and the only two times my baggage was lost was when it arrived on a flight AHEAD of mine and were waiting for me when I arrived (Bangkok and Maui). Yes, waiting for a slow carousel can be a bit frustrating after a long trip, but it's only 20 minutes or so. Grab a drink, go to the bathroom, deep breathe and your bag will be there. Let the crowds get theirs and then retrieve yours. It beats lugging a heavy carry on, especially when you have a long layover or delay. Take with you on board only what you need for the flight plus important documents, prescription meds and a change of underwear. Try it. You'll like it.
I've had bags delayed, but they've always been found. The most inconvenient though was flying from Scotland to Michigan with one of the checked bags loaded with xmas gifts. Guess which one went missing? Finally got it back the day after xmas.

I carry on stuff I don't want stolen - jewelry, electronics, laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Hi to All,

As a Flight Attendant who has just finished yet another 4 day trip, I am writing to implore all air travelers to PLEASE.....

1) DO NOT TRY TO BRING LARGE/OVERSIZED BAGS OR TOO MANY BAGS ONBOARD. Listen, the gate agents WILL PROBABLY NOT stop you. The planes I work..usually large planes..not Express planes..have only so much overhead space. YES..it IS first come, first serve. Just because you have a seat does NOT mean that the overhead over you is YOURS. The flight crew has no control over where people try to place their luggage. We are stationed at the front and back of the aircraft. We do NOT supervise every bag that goes up. When they are full, they are full. Its not fair for YOU to bring oversized/crazy bags on and then expect the overheads to close. We do NOT have a magic wand to shrink them. If the overheads dont close...WE WILL CHECK THEM. Also...if you are not sitting in First Class, do not be surprised if we tell you to NOT put YOUR bags there. These First Class folks have paid for those seats..they WILL get those overheads. Accept it. We realize that you do not want to pay to check your luggage. The reality is that the plane is only able to hold so many bags. Beyond that, they must be checked. Again, no magic wands.

2) Sorry. If you bought cheap tickets from a consolidator (HotWire, Travelocity, etc) and your family is all split up...PLEASE take it up with the Gate Agent. They WILL tell you that the Flight Attendants will take care of getting you together. NO. We can only ask others to move..but I promise, that is NO guarantee that they WILL. It is the GATE AGENTs responsibility. PLEASE ask THEM to take care of it. Cheap tickets ARE middle seats..HONESTLY..NO, people with window and asile seats DO NOT want to swap. I am just being honest. Asking them does NOT mean they WILL give up those seats. Would YOU???

3) We BEG you...please please PLEASE...do NOT use your seat back pocket as a garbage can. We make many announcements before landing to PLEASE pass any and ALL trash to us as we make our final round thru the cabin before landing. This means all trash...bottles, newspapers, magazines, coffee cups, etc. You may not know this but the Flight Attendants must clean the planes now. We are not paid for this duty. All you need to do is to take 20 seconds and see that, if you are NOT going to take your papers, trash, bottles, drink cups, coffee cups, etc...simply hand them to us as we make at LEAST 4 passes thru the cabin before landing. We would be so grateful to you for doing that.

4) If you have kids..honestly, we love them too. EXCEPT when they are kicking the seat in front of them, throwing their cookies/pretzles, etc on the floor. YES, we do understand that if you have a BABY (under 3) who cries that you may not be able to quiet them. Over 3, please do your absolute best.

5) We do not have a thing to do with recent changes in air travel. YES, the beer/wine/liquor is expensive. We do not like it either. But we do not control the prices. Yes, $7 for a beer or mini is high. However, it is what is its. We cant change it because you do not like the price. Same goes for food sold on our aircraft. We do NOT set the prices...however, we do our best to offer you whatever the company has to sell.

6) NO, the DO NOT ask the flight attendant to hold a flight because your flight is late. Honestly, we feel badly for you if you miss your flight. Please do not take it out on us if that happens. So if you are on a flight that has a connection, we will wish you good luck but the Flight Attendants CAN NOT call call the other gate and ask them to hold the flight.

7) YES, we know that SOME flight attendants are bitchy. We hate them as much as you do. I personally try to be cordial, friendly, accomodating, fun, cute..you name it. Please, understand that there is a difference in people.

those are some of the highlights of my life. NO, we won't make everyone's day. HONESTLY, at least I try to do that. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.
Yeah we all want to meet you:
YouTube - meet the parents airport scene

Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
I have never understood why some people are so loathe to check baggage. It's like it's some sort of badge of honor that they "never check baggage". I have done a good amount of traveling and the only two times my baggage was lost was when it arrived on a flight AHEAD of mine and were waiting for me when I arrived (Bangkok and Maui). Yes, waiting for a slow carousel can be a bit frustrating after a long trip, but it's only 20 minutes or so. Grab a drink, go to the bathroom, deep breathe and your bag will be there. Let the crowds get theirs and then retrieve yours. It beats lugging a heavy carry on, especially when you have a long layover or delay. Take with you on board only what you need for the flight plus important documents, prescription meds and a change of underwear. Try it. You'll like it.

Because when YOU fly to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday for a job interview on Monday morning and your suit, shoes and underwear somehow go to Flagstaff, it can make things really bad for you!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Because when YOU fly to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday for a job interview on Monday morning and your suit, shoes and underwear somehow go to Flagstaff, it can make things really bad for you!
Like I said, take a change of underwear on board with you. And maybe take an earlier flight. As for the rest of it, make a brief explanation to the job interviewer and impress them with your ability to wing it in casual clothes. It's not the end of the world. Anyone who has traveled will understand and will not hold it against you. Whenever I travel, my mantra is - passport, credit card, cash (even this is optional), underwear. All the rest you can replace. It's wonderfully freeing.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
What do you do when you have to carry work items that are explicitly excluded from loss or damage coverage of the checked baggage tariffs such as computers or other electronics? The airlines specifically recommend you carry these onboard and do NOT check them. I end up with a case with my computers, a case with my personal electronics/cameras and then sometimes a bag with my food for flights that do not offer meals, being a diabetic I cannot always wait for the end of flight to eat and the on-board snacks are not that good for me.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM

239 posts, read 877,823 times
Im really not too sure where the idea that travelers with carry-ons are novice flyers! I travel at least once a month, both int'lly and domestically and I only use carry-ons.

I personally don't brag about it, I just hate waiting at baggage claim. My trips are usually short, so I don't want to even risk my bags being misplaced, even if my flight is direct... It usually is as I live @ a hub location. I prefer to get my bags and head straight for the exit to my rental car and not waste time...

Also, to the original poster... I'm confused when you say that one of your new responsibilities is cleaning out the seat pockets and that you 'dont get paid' for it. If you have a responsibility at work, you're paid for it- surely they dont ask you to come in on your day off to do it. Just because you don't want to do it and have never had to do it previously, doesn't mean you don't get paid for it. Do you want $1 per seat or something? That statement was confusing to me.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
What do you do when you have to carry work items that are explicitly excluded from loss or damage coverage of the checked baggage tariffs such as computers or other electronics? The airlines specifically recommend you carry these onboard and do NOT check them. I end up with a case with my computers, a case with my personal electronics/cameras and then sometimes a bag with my food for flights that do not offer meals, being a diabetic I cannot always wait for the end of flight to eat and the on-board snacks are not that good for me.
Of course some people have unique circumstances. With you, your health come first. Carry the food you need with you, by all means. Maybe send your cameras/electronics ahead via UPS or Fed EX? I don't have all the answers, but get creative and think ahead. If you have to carry them on board, then so be it. But most people don't. They are just trying to beat the system and gain a 20 minute head start. For what?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
1. There is no point in jumping up, grabbing your bags, standing impatiently as soon as landing, then pushing people to get going.
You're joking.

Do you know what bothers flyers the most? It's when people lag and take forever to get their bags and three coats down. By the time the plane chimes that last time indicating it's docked, your seat belt should be off and you should be in the process of standing. If you're in an aisle seat you should already have your ONE bag down next to you, and you should be ready to walk out the door as soon as you're able. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. If I'm in aisle 6 I should be out of that door by the 30 second mark from when they open it. If I'm not, the people in first class (or the front seats in Southwest's case) are taking way too long.

It's not rocket science. The problem is that they don't enforce the carryon policy. I've seen females with 3-4 coats, a purse, a laptop bag, and a huge rolling suitcase, and it takes them like 10 minutes to get all of their crap together. When the airlines exercise the same due diligence with carryons that they do with harassing people over their laptop being powered on, it won't be as bad.

If it were up to me, I'd say the only things you can take on the plane are (A) ONE coat per passenger, (B) a purse if you're female, and/or (C) a reasonably sized laptop bag. That's it. Everything else has to be checked in. It's the only way to stop people from holding up the plane exit.

Quote:
I have never understood why some people are so loathe to check baggage. It's like it's some sort of badge of honor that they "never check baggage".
People call me Monk because I do have OCD about certain things. The last time I checked my large bag, I was surprised to open it later and find that all of my stuff had been tossed around, and a note was left on top that told me that my bag was "randomly" checked. I don't like that; there was only clothing, but that's even worse - I don't want strange hands touching my clothes, especially when I'm nowhere near home and can't properly clean them. If you're going to screen my bag by riffling through it, two things: One, no random checks; you tell me in advance that my luggage was selected for screening and that you'll be checking it, and I want verification of sanitation procedures during and after. And two, you put the crap back the way you found it. The airlines of course can't be bothered to do either, so I don't check my luggage until they change that policy. Screw that.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
. They are just trying to beat the system and gain a 20 minute head start. For what?
Quote:
It's not a badge of honor for me.
Get back to me about how great checking luggage is when your bag *is* delayed.
We scrimp and save for our vacations, and having a bag lost/delayed is NOT my idea of a good time.
I only had a checked bag mislaid once, but it was not found for a good 3 days.
That's ridiculous. Since then I try to only do carry on.
I am not one who carries a ton of stuff on board, just my 22-inch backpack and small purse. But it's coming with me, at least when I depart.
Coming back home is not as big a deal, but usually I carry on then, too.
Call me neurotic or whatever you want, but to me it is much more liberating to have my possessions with me.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're joking.

Do you know what bothers flyers the most? It's when people lag and take forever to get their bags and three coats down. By the time the plane chimes that last time indicating it's docked, your seat belt should be off and you should be in the process of standing.
We normally book seats in the back of the plane. I'm not talking about people taking their time getting their stuff. I'm talking about everyone jumping up just to stand there for 15 minutes while the doors are opened and the people up front get off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel