U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times

Advertisements

" a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin."

from

Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-ons - News- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
And get ready for government regulation regarding the size of carry-ons. To be enforced by TSA.

AirportBusiness.com Article Carry-on bags may be getting out of hand (http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=35400&pageNum=1 - broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 AM

11,933 posts, read 21,513,618 times
The cost of fuel is really starting to escalate. Ticket prices really haven't increased at all in fact in relation to inflation over the past 30-ish years they are about 1/4 of what they were back then. The difference used to be made up in cutting employee costs, increasing efficiency, etc. but now it can only be made up in adding costs. They have pretty much cut everything they can.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And get ready for government regulation regarding the size of carry-ons. To be enforced by TSA.

AirportBusiness.com Article Carry-on bags may be getting out of hand (http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=35400&pageNum=1 - broken link)
FINALLY!!!!! WooHoo!!!!
I am so tired of people who try and cram everything but the kitchen sink in the overheads.....completely ignorant of the fact they are taking up some one else's space who may want to stow a heavy winter coat etc....

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times
Airlines are making those of us who travel often even angrier.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Those of us who travel often and show loyalty to one or two airlines shouldn't (and don't) have to worry about carry on or luggage fees. It's called frequent flyer elite status, and we are exempt from any of these charges if the major carriers adopt it.

I am all for this - it reduces the hassle of dealing with the novice travelers that choose to pack to much in their carryons.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,559,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
FINALLY!!!!! WooHoo!!!!
I am so tired of people who try and cram everything but the kitchen sink in the overheads.....completely ignorant of the fact they are taking up some one else's space who may want to stow a heavy winter coat etc....
It's pure economics. If location A (checked baggage) costs money and location B (carryon) is free then everyone will chooses location B. This issue with carryon size didn't appear until airlines started charging for checked bags.
The problem is that customers use ticket price as the end all be all for making their pruchase decisions. With that in mind no airline wants to be the highest ticket price so they all keep the price artifically low and find other ways to nickle and dime us to death.

Air travel is not supposed to be like riding a bus: bare-bottom price. It SOULD cost more and there ought to be some comfort associated with it. Now, I know some peopel will say "fly first class". The problem here is that, while first class should cost more, the current prices are MUCH mroe because they are being used to partially subsidize coach prices, which the airlines don't dare raise. Space/volume wise first class should not cost ten times more than coach but in many cases it does. Airlines: please raise the seat price to the level needed to give a decent service and stop with the nickle and diming. Passengers: please be willing to pay a few dollers more to get back the comfort we used to have in the 80s.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,465,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
There's a simple answer to this problem: regulation. The FCC should protect consumers by mandating that all passengers on U.S. flights get one free carry on of X x Y x Z dimension PLUS one personal item. We have regulations that protect consumers in a myriad other ways -- from nutrition labels on foods we eat to licensing of barbers. As long as greedy businesses are intent on using every possible technicality to clip consumers, we the consumers should be willing to use our government to protect people from such egregious actions.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Those of us who travel often and show loyalty to one or two airlines shouldn't (and don't) have to worry about carry on or luggage fees. It's called frequent flyer elite status, and we are exempt from any of these charges if the major carriers adopt it.

I am all for this - it reduces the hassle of dealing with the novice travelers that choose to pack to much in their carryons.
Agree completely, (and not to mention those who fly first class and can take up all the bins if they want before the rest board.)

You buy chrap tickets and fly who ever gives you the cheapest price, expect cheap service. You Fly the same airlines, show them you are a loyal customer and they reward you inkind.

I have no problem with checked baggage fees, carryon bagagge fees, food fees, drink fees, headset fees, pillow fees, blanket fees, toilet use fees, oxygen mask fees, cushion on your seat fees, and even a ramp or you climb up a ladder fee. I don't mind since these seldom if ever apply to the loyal customers or those who pay for the services in their ticket price.

Now if they would only charge a smelly, noisy, loud baby fee!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 PM

11,679 posts, read 14,424,975 times
When I was travelling to and from NY after having lived there for a summer, I shipped all my belongings back fedex. It was fast and less expensive than what I would have paid taking it with me to the airport. I only had one smaller bag on the plane with me.

I forsee a spike in fedex and ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or