Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 PM

239 posts, read 877,899 times

Advertisements

Going 2 Vegas in a week and 1/2... Going 2 my mom's in Cape Coral, FL again possibly in June, I'd like to go to Captiva again while there.

When the kids go to their grandparents' (bringing them 2 Maine- will visit for a night most likely) this summer we want to plan something bigger- Europe (I want to do Italy) or the South Pacific (he wants 2 do Bora Bora or Hawaii, which I'm also fine with!). Plans change due to flight loads and weather- 1 trip last year we planned on Turks and Caicos, but the night before we left, a storm covered most of the W Caribbean so we went 2 Aruba instead, lol... Who knows, we may end up in Tel Aviv or Costa Rica !

We fly non-rev so we try to go somewhere at least every month or 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM

216 posts, read 668,217 times
NYC for 4 days in May
Michigan for Memorial Day
Puerto Vallarta in Feb 2011
Croatia and Venice - September 2011

Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Since my last post I'm adding two trips.

Mrs. Tek is traveling for business to Milwaukee in May and Philly in June.

Guess who's tagging along?

I am bound and determined to get to the museum in Milwaukee this time as well as explore more of the downtown architecture with my new camera.

I've never been to Philly so that should be a great trip. We are going to stay over the weekend after her business meetings so that will be a blast.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

I've never been to Philly so that should be a great trip. We are going to stay over the weekend after her business meetings so that will be a blast.
I love Philly! Eat lots and lots of cheesesteaks while there! You should check out the Mutter Museum. It's a photographer's dream!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I love Philly! Eat lots and lots of cheesesteaks while there! You should check out the Mutter Museum. It's a photographer's dream!
Thanks. I was going to head to the Philly forum to see what advice I can find for places to visit. Do you have a list?

I will have three days on my own while Mrs Tek is in meetings so I will need plenty of places to spend time...

Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Thanks. I was going to head to the Philly forum to see what advice I can find for places to visit. Do you have a list?

I will have three days on my own while Mrs Tek is in meetings so I will need plenty of places to spend time...
Since it's your first time, you have to go to Pat's and Geno's for steaks and so you can determine which one is better. They are across the street from each other and have been featured on many food shows! Yea, they are not the best steaks in Philly, but it's a must do for a first timer! I'm sure you'll get 342 different recs for cheesesteak places, as it's a hot topic in Philly. Only you can decide which is best!

For a more local steak joint, check out Jim's. It's on the corner of 4th & Souths Street and usually has a (fast-moving) line to get in. Once you're on South Street, walk around and explore the different shops. It's one of the most popular streets in Philly.

Of course, then you have the Liberty Bell and surrounding area. That could easily fill an entire day!

As I mentioned before, the Mutter Museum is a must see. That's probably my favorite part of the city.
:: CPP- Mutter Museum :: (http://www.collphyphil.org/visit_mutter.htm - broken link)

Another one of my favorites is the Reading Terminal Market. There are a ton of food vendors in there with some of the most awesome stuff. Come hungry!
Reading Terminal Market › Home

If you're really bored and have some time, take the ferry from Philly to Camden, NJ. It drops you off in front of the Adventure Aquarium, so you won't actually be in the Camden so many seem to fear! It's one of the better aquariums in the US (they were closed for almost 2 years due to renovation) so it's definitely worth a trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Adventure Aquarium | Camden, New Jersey, Philadelphia

And a direct link for the Waterfront Ferry:
Adventure Aquarium :: Camden, New Jersey, Gift Shop, Gifts, Souvenirs (http://www.adventureaquarium.com/waterfrontconnectionguest.cfm - broken link)

Have a blast, it's really an awesome city!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Heading for Chicago soon!! Then heading for San Fernando Valley area to visit sons. May return to Bahamas to visit family next year.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times
I'm going to Orlando,Florida on vacation in May with My wife(Walt Disney World) and I'm going with My wife to see Her relatives in Hazard,Kentucky in July.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Heading for Chicago soon!! Then heading for San Fernando Valley area to visit sons. May return to Bahamas to visit family next year.
If you like Cajun try to get to Heaven on Seven downtown.

Heaven on Seven Home Page

Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Since it's your first time, you have to go to Pat's and Geno's for steaks and so you can determine which one is better. They are across the street from each other and have been featured on many food shows! Yea, they are not the best steaks in Philly, but it's a must do for a first timer! I'm sure you'll get 342 different recs for cheesesteak places, as it's a hot topic in Philly. Only you can decide which is best!

For a more local steak joint, check out Jim's. It's on the corner of 4th & Souths Street and usually has a (fast-moving) line to get in. Once you're on South Street, walk around and explore the different shops. It's one of the most popular streets in Philly.

Of course, then you have the Liberty Bell and surrounding area. That could easily fill an entire day!

As I mentioned before, the Mutter Museum is a must see. That's probably my favorite part of the city.
:: CPP- Mutter Museum :: (http://www.collphyphil.org/visit_mutter.htm - broken link)

Another one of my favorites is the Reading Terminal Market. There are a ton of food vendors in there with some of the most awesome stuff. Come hungry!
Reading Terminal Market › Home

If you're really bored and have some time, take the ferry from Philly to Camden, NJ. It drops you off in front of the Adventure Aquarium, so you won't actually be in the Camden so many seem to fear! It's one of the better aquariums in the US (they were closed for almost 2 years due to renovation) so it's definitely worth a trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Adventure Aquarium | Camden, New Jersey, Philadelphia

And a direct link for the Waterfront Ferry:
Adventure Aquarium :: Camden, New Jersey, Gift Shop, Gifts, Souvenirs (http://www.adventureaquarium.com/waterfrontconnectionguest.cfm - broken link)

Have a blast, it's really an awesome city!
Thank you. It is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel