U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times

Advertisements

We're trying to finish all 50 states (have 5 to go) so we are focusing on that, as well as exploring more of CA. I'm so done with Europe (never thought I'd say that, but the flight now is way too long and I've been there way too many times and grew up there!) Here's what we have booked for the next few months:

May:Carmel, Monterey
June: Chicago
July:Jackson Hole, Idaho (one of the remaining states we have to see, not by choice!) and Montana. And NYC in late July, to visit family.
August:My husband won't tell me, but he planned a trip for my birthday.
September: San Francisco/Napa Valley

We're still trying to figure out where to go in Oct, Nov, and Dec. I want to go to S. America, so we are definitely looking into that for our international trip. Where's everyone else going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,311 times
We overdid the travelling last year and exhausted ourselves - 4 continents. So this year will be more restful.

Soon we are going to a Scottish island to spend a week in a traditional cottage.

This summer we'll do UK trips - London, around Scotland. Also might do a couple of days in Dublin.

No plans yet for autumn.

The usual xmas in Michigan.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,561,223 times
My wife and I are flying up to North Florida next weekend to go camping with some friends of mine who are coming down from Alabama. This is a nice time to go camping in Florida because it hasn't gotten hot yet and the mosquitos aren't a factor until the rainy season starts. It will be cabin camping and not tent camping but that's just as well since there really isn't room in my plane for a tent.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,985,869 times
September or October: California.
If it's in September, we'll do the Renaissance Faire in Hollister, the Zydeco Festival in Sebastopol, enjoy the Portuguese Festa in Gustine, and visit my family.
If it's in October, we'll do Palm Springs for a few days, the Renaissance Faire in Hollister, and visit family.

April '11: New Orleans!

Summer stuff will be local: 4-day blues festival in Portland, Oregon Country Fair in Eugene, a weekend at the coast, the State Fair, and numerous events.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,561,525 times
Weekend after next - Ft Lauderdale Beach for 4 days

First week in May - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

All i have planned as of now but i'm probably going to do another all inclusive when the rates go down in hurricane season and possibly get out to San Diego as well.

G Man

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM

880 posts, read 1,754,965 times
visiting relatives we have never met
3 weeks in southern france
2 weeks in st.martens
2 weeks in aruba

Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,107,916 times
22 days in the US in September and October this year. I fly in to Denver and drive up to Laramie for one night, back to Denver and then a 2 day road trip to SW Nebraska with a friend. Back to Denver and fly to Phoenix for a day before driving up to Flagstaff AZ. Meet up with the same friend again and off to Holbrook to stay at the Wigwam Motel. Back to Flagstaff from where I fly to San Diego via Phoenix and Las Vegas. Three nights there, staying with a friend, and one in Julian CA before I head off to Albuquerque to meet yet another online friend and to take in the Balloon Festival before taking the bus down to Las Cruces (another friend!). On to Fort Worth (2 nights) and San Antonio (1 night) and then to Dallas to stay with friends and to attend a wedding. After 3 nights in Dallas I fly to Little Rock AR and drive to Fordyce; the next morning, back to Little Rock and Dallas and fly back to England.

Ten new states visited.

2011 I'd like to re-visit all my friends in the Philadelphia area, Brooklyn, upstate New York, Boston area and Vermont

Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
New York next week for work

We just booked our flights for Scotland and Switzerland in July. Our first post-retirement trip (we retire June 30).

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
Double family reunion (my family and his) in Denver and Santa Fe next month.

Weekend in Savannah seeing the Avett Brothers in June.

I was hoping we could swing Christmas in Paris this year, but I just don't know if we can afford it, even with a cheap place to stay. Still working on that one, but Paris two years in a row might be a bit much.

I'm glad we took some good trips in 2009, because this year might be leaner.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

I was hoping we could swing Christmas in Paris this year, but I just don't know if we can afford it, even with a cheap place to stay. Still working on that one, but Paris two years in a row might be a bit much.
Have you been to Vienna during Christmas? I haven't been during that time of year, but it's supposed to be the best place in Europe for Christmas. My friend lives there and said it's a huge destination around that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel