Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times

Advertisements

I am planning a brief vacation in the coming months. I'm trying to figure out where to go. Here are the things I like:

Must be in the US. (I only have a few days.) Must be in the city.

I prefer warm weather so I won't mind even off season places in the summer.

I like big hotels. Don't care about gambling, although Vegas would be fine. Shows are fine, but not mandatory. Can't afford to spend too much extra for them, though.

Will take a cab from airport to my hotel. (Swimming, and hopefully other immediate attractions within the large hotel.) But hopefully no more driving after that. I prefer walking around, especially to see other "touristy" attractions nearby.

...So far, Las Vegas seems like my ideal spot. I've never been to Disneyland but I don't think I would enjoy it as much as an adult.

I'd appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've never been to Disneyland but I don't think I would enjoy it as much as an adult.
Don't under estimate the P O W E R of the Mouse!

Grandpapa was 70 when he went and the man was a child again and said it was his best vacation spot (after that one stint in France with the waitress, but he dont talk about that much in front of Grandma.)

Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
If you don't want to do any driving then that pretty much eliminates most vacation spots in Florida. Too bad to since you said you like warm weather. There's always Miami Beach which doesn't require driving but there's not much to do there except get wasted and hook up in clubs since the actual beach is sub-par by Florida standards.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If you don't want to do any driving then that pretty much eliminates most vacation spots in Florida. Too bad to since you said you like warm weather. There's always Miami Beach which doesn't require driving but there's not much to do there except get wasted and hook up in clubs since the actual beach is sub-par by Florida standards.
I would really like to visit Florida sometime when I have more time to spend there. And I definitely won't mind the driving.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
I would do Palm Desert, CA (Westin is nice) or some similar place in AZ. (If you do it BEFORE the heat cranks up). I like Tucson and would check out public transportation to see if adequate, (likely) or a good sized hotel will have a shuttle that takes frequent trips to shopping areas.

LV may do the trick for you, as there is a lot within walking distance. I would probably stay at The Mirage if you like swimming and a nice 'poolside' area.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Some cities that I love that don't require a rental car are San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, and Boston. I'm not a huge fan of Vegas, but that fits your bill as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Chicago! Fly into Midway, cab to Lakeview was about $30. Theater, sports, music, culture, great tours and activities. You can do a lot in a short time.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 PM

I would like to visit all those places.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I vote for SF because I like the ocean. I think it would be a lot of fun. Take the trolley and don't forget your camera. http://www.sanfranciscosightseeing.com/ See the city, visit wine country and even Carmel.

Warning: this website may not open in Firefox.

Last edited by linicx; 04-11-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 AM

59 posts, read 258,960 times
I would recommend Key West, FL. Its great to walk around there day and night. However, I rather recommend The Grand Canyon. Its not city and no huge hotels. If you have to see one sight in your lifetime, it's the one you will never regret. If you have to have a southern city, try San Antonio on the river walk or Nashville, TN. Tourists do different things so, you have to be more specific about "Tourist" activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel