Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,238 times

Advertisements

I was born in Canada and I have lived in the US for over 10 years, and I have a social security card. I want to travel to mexico and I know that I need a passport, however, I need to be a u.s. citizen, and for that I need a green card! Can someone help me? I don't know which order to go in. I just need a vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Don't you have a Canadian passport??

How did you get a social security card without a green card??

I would make sure you investigate this completely before you leave the country and can't back in but I'm sure you know that.

You could go down to the office where you get passports, and ask them, what documentation you need, show them what you have and see what they say.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Do you actually have a social security card or do you have a social security number that let's you work legally in the United States? Go online and search for "USA passport" and it will take you to the right place for your answers. I don't understand how you have a social security card if you are not either a citizen or legal resident.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I read an article on Yahoo that says they are relaxing the requirements temporarily, but you have to have at least applied for the passport and its only I think until September...you have to bring the paperwork showing you have applied.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:55 PM

35 posts, read 160,841 times
If you're not a US citizen or permanent resident you need a green card or you'll be arrested when you try to re-enter the United States. I can't imagine you have a ten year tourist visa. if you have a work visa I would contact Customs/Border Protection and ask them for the protocol. good luck

Old 11-25-2007, 12:57 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,834 times
I have had a green card for 26 plus years and I feel like I know everything there is to know about immigration. (Does anyone ever truly know the workings of government?) When we moved overseas as we did frequently, my green card became inactive after 2 years. It was always such a hassle to get it re-activated. So I also wonder how you got a social security card without a green card? I have been to Mexico in the past so I do know at first hand that you need to have that passport to get back into the U.S. They were quite insistent on that. I also wonder how you are going to be able to get the green card when you are already resident in the U.S. Something doesn't quite add up and perhaps this idea of a vacation across the border is a very timely wake-up call to get your paperwork taken care of. If I was you, I would take myself as soon as possible to the nearest INS Office and get the official word from them. All the best.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfromvista View Post
If you're not a US citizen or permanent resident you need a green card or you'll be arrested when you try to re-enter the United States. I can't imagine you have a ten year tourist visa. if you have a work visa I would contact Customs/Border Protection and ask them for the protocol. good luck
A green card is for permanent residents only; what you said makes no sense.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
I have had a green card for 26 plus years and I feel like I know everything there is to know about immigration. (Does anyone ever truly know the workings of government?) When we moved overseas as we did frequently, my green card became inactive after 2 years. It was always such a hassle to get it re-activated.
So I also wonder how you got a social security card without a green card? I have been to Mexico in the past so I do know at first hand that you need to have that passport to get back into the U.S. They were quite insistent on that. I also wonder how you are going to be able to get the green card when you are already resident in the U.S. Something doesn't quite add up and perhaps this idea of a vacation across the border is a very timely wake-up call to get your paperwork taken care of. If I was you, I would take myself as soon as possible to the nearest INS Office and get the official word from them. All the best.
This is because permanent resident status is only for aliens who LIVE in the United States. Move away and it lapses. I think that's perfectly fair; move away and you've abandoned your residency in the USA. Why should the residency status stay valid if you're no longer a US resident?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
This is because permanent resident status is only for aliens who LIVE in the United States. Move away and it lapses. I think that's perfectly fair; move away and you've abandoned your residency in the USA. Why should the residency status stay valid if you're no longer a US resident?
What you say is true, however, I was not disclaiming the notion that it should stay active when we left US soil, just that it was a hassle when it was time to come home and go through the process of re-activating it. We did not abandon owning the U.S. as "home". We just had to go through lots of red tape to get back "home" when it was time for our home leave. Our work overseas was never a permanent move. We came and went with great frequency. Lots of folks have lifestyles such as we had and we all had to go through the same hassles when it was time to come back home. (My husband is an American by the way, so it was only me that went through the pain.)

Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
What you say is true, however, I was not disclaiming the notion that it should stay active when we left US soil, just that it was a hassle when it was time to come home and go through the process of re-activating it. We did not abandon owning the U.S. as "home". We just had to go through lots of red tape to get back "home" when it was time for our home leave. Our work overseas was never a permanent move. We came and went with great frequency. Lots of folks have lifestyles such as we had and we all had to go through the same hassles when it was time to come back home. (My husband is an American by the way, so it was only me that went through the pain.)
That's just the way it works, though. If you think that's bad, listen to some horror stories from UK permanent residents who are frequently stamped in as tourists when they re-enter the country after a short trip...thus invalidating the permanent resident visa and requiring them to re-apply for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel