U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,453,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We used to love road trips. We've driven across country as well as more local state to state trips. Lately, the cops are out in full force. Doesn't matter how fast you're going, they'll tell you that you were going 20mph over that. Can't fight an out of state cop, so you end up paying $500 in "fees" so that it doesn't get reported to your insurance company.

I was very stupidly caught in one of the most well-known speed traps on the way from Miami to Key West and a simple internet search would have alerted me to it. I was going 54mph (both my GPS and odometer display speed very visibly) and he told me it was 92. If you've driven that route, you know it's not possible on a one lane road, with tons of cars in front of you. The 2 cops had 11, yes 11, cars pulled over. $500 later, it was never even reported to my state or insurance company. The locals say it's their way to generate revenue and they just want their money. Yes, road trips have lost its appeal and we fly whenever possible from now on.
I have a very hard time believing your post !

Going 54 and getting fined for 92 ?

--IF-- that was true, I would be firing letters off to that town's newspaper and firing off letters to the Florida Atty General.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My daughter got nailed in Georgia. They said she was doing 90mph It costs too much to fight it so she just paid up the $420 and we hope it doesn't go to the insurance.

Georgia is notorious for targeting out of state drivers.
She is lucky she wasn't cited for reckless driving and incarcerated.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have a very hard time believing your post !

Going 54 and getting fined for 92 ?

--IF-- that was true, I would be firing letters off to that town's newspaper and firing off letters to the Florida Atty General.
Have you ever driven to Key West? It's a one-lane road 90% of the trip, where you are stuck behind extremely slow cars, nowhere to pass, unless you're feeling particularly adventurous and want to take a dip in the ocean. It's not even a possibility to go over 65, given how it's built. I wasn't the only one pulled over. After the fact, I found out just how common it was and even when I called about the ticket, the woman told me as long as I pay the ridiculous fee, they won't report it to anyone. Great way to generate revenue!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My daughter got nailed in Georgia. They said she was doing 90mph It costs too much to fight it so she just paid up the $420 and we hope it doesn't go to the insurance.

Georgia is notorious for targeting out of state drivers.
I think all states are notorious for that! It's a shame, driving used to be fun!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The cop said that he wouldn't cite her for reckless driving and, as long as she paid the fine within 45 days they would "go to court for her". When she called up the phone number on the ticket they just quoted her a price. She had a look on some Georgia forums and found that her "price" bore little resemblance to the fines normally practiced in Georgia. But what do you do? It costs a lot more to go back to Georgia to fight it than simply to pay up.

I don't believe for a moment she was doing 90mph. It is simply a scam to gouge unsuspecting travelers.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,573,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think 20 over in Georgia is reckless driving.

I actually work sometimes with 2 retired Georgia troopers and they seem like decent guys to me.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
With my family having been victim a number of times to alcohol impaired drivers, it's something I have zero tolerance on. Unfortunately so many times I have seen people say they are "having a beer or two" and it ends up much more than that.
I had a feeling my post would trigger a response like this.

I'm still waiting for someone to respond: I have had family members being victims of cellphone users, sleep-deprived drivers, daydreaming drivers,
a driver distracted by children or a pet in the car, a driver blinded by the sun in their eyes, a careless driver on an icy road, or an elderly driver either confused or on meds.

Hardly a month goes by here, an elderly driver takes a victim or two with them to their graves. Horrifically, recently last week, an 82YO confused driver took the wrong ramp onto the freeway, crashed head-on with two motorcycles. One died, one is still in critical condition.

Alcohol impaired drivers are not the only feared drivers on the road. I'm a sober daydreaming driver. Watch out, stay out of my path for your own safety!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think 20 over in Georgia is reckless driving.

I actually work sometimes with 2 retired Georgia troopers and they seem like decent guys to me.
It is always amazing to me when it is someone's "little precious" that is pulled over it is the state trooper's fault.

A friend of the family has accumulated six speeding tickets in the past two years in three municipalities. The police are always "picking om him." Funny, I drive the same roads and don't get pulled over. Might be the fact that I don't have a lead foot (and that I usually leave with plenty of time.

More and more police officers have dash cameras that record the entire interaction. It is always fun when it end up in court and it is the defendant vs. a camera.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,651,383 times
Count me in if it's a road trip!

I'm thinking Wall's Drug, curio shops, funny road signs, Native Americans selling jewelry at rest stops, flags on porches, signs outside of small towns saying, "Home Of _____", gas stations where there's a rock in the drawer so the paper money doesn't blow away, playing "ZIP! I see a white horse, 10 points!", old cemetaries by the road side, big cities, "See the two-headed snake" roadside zoos, missing your off-ramp - OK, that's not a lot of fun.....

The car ride is part of the adventure of it all.

My motto is "Shot-gun to Albuquerque!"

Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,231,994 times
Heck no! I can't think of a single trip where getting there was even mildly pleasant, let alone 'fun'.

I can think of other things though, besides travel, for which 'getting there' is half the fun--education, for instance. Dating. Getting drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or