Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,314,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have a very hard time believing your post !

Going 54 and getting fined for 92 ?

--IF-- that was true, I would be firing letters off to that town's newspaper and firing off letters to the Florida Atty General.
Let me enlighten you...IT HAPPENS!!! My experience was years back, not recently though. It was in Venice Fla. My mom was driving, exiting the interstate (I-75) headed to Venice. As she exited the on the ramp she slowed WAY down, I fussed at her about not slowing down to 35mph (or lower). As we merged into the roadway headed west from the interstate she had to speed up to get to 45mph. There were no other cars on that roadway this particular day except one car coming toward us across a very wide grassy median that flew quickly past us went about 15 yards came across the median started our direction , began speeding up and turned on the lights and pulled my mom over. She came to the cardoor with her hand on her gun and very rudely told my mom to get out of the car. When asked what did I do> the female deputy answered I clocked you doing 82 in a 45!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell ME they don't do it...I KNOW THEY DO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Let me enlighten you...IT HAPPENS!!! My experience was years back, not recently though. It was in Venice Fla. My mom was driving, exiting the interstate (I-75) headed to Venice. As she exited the on the ramp she slowed WAY down, I fussed at her about not slowing down to 35mph (or lower). As we merged into the roadway headed west from the interstate she had to speed up to get to 45mph. There were no other cars on that roadway this particular day except one car coming toward us across a very wide grassy median that flew quickly past us went about 15 yards came across the median started our direction , began speeding up and turned on the lights and pulled my mom over. She came to the cardoor with her hand on her gun and very rudely told my mom to get out of the car. When asked what did I do> the female deputy answered I clocked you doing 82 in a 45!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell ME they don't do it...I KNOW THEY DO!!!
Of course the cops are all lily-white innocent. I mean ... they never faked the charges over that Maryland student, they never perjure themselves, they never try to pervert the course of justice.

I know people who are cops. They all enter the force as good people with the best of intentions. But so many police forces are "institutionally corrupt" (as opposed to cops being individually corrupt) that they either get with the program or they leave.

They deliberately target out of state cars (especially in Georgia which is known for it) because the hassle of challenging the ticket is not worth it especially if they say they will not inform the insurance. Its a scam designed to make money no more no less.

I'm not saying my daughter was not at the speed limit or a bit over it. But no way was she doing 90mph. The give-away is that the cop did not tag on reckless driving because that would have led to him being challenged in court (its what I pay legal insurance for) and he would have been forced to provide the evidence.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Of course the cops are all lily-white innocent. I mean ... they never faked the charges over that Maryland student, they never perjure themselves, they never try to pervert the course of justice.

I know people who are cops. They all enter the force as good people with the best of intentions. But so many police forces are "institutionally corrupt" (as opposed to cops being individually corrupt) that they either get with the program or they leave.

They deliberately target out of state cars (especially in Georgia which is known for it) because the hassle of challenging the ticket is not worth it especially if they say they will not inform the insurance. Its a scam designed to make money no more no less.

I'm not saying my daughter was not at the speed limit or a bit over it. But no way was she doing 90mph. The give-away is that the cop did not tag on reckless driving because that would have led to him being challenged in court (its what I pay legal insurance for) and he would have been forced to provide the evidence.
It's crazy! I just know...it REALLY DOES happen. I was FLOORED when it happened to my mom. I just couldn't believe it!! If I hadn't been there, urging her to pick up her speed that she was going too slow and watching her speedometer, I wouldn't have believed it..but IT HAPPENED!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:39 PM

11,060 posts, read 17,461,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Georgia is notorious for targeting out of state drivers.
We've driven many trips down I-75 through Georgia going to Warner-Robins. Usually put the cruise on 80 and have no trouble. My mother asked me once why I drive 80 on the interstate. I told her you either drive 80 or other cars or semis will push you off the road!
As far as road trips I enjoy them. When our boys were little they would look for certain landmarks on the roadway. I took a different road on a camping trip to the Smokies once and they thought I was lost because I didn't go by the Bass Pro Shop! lol

Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times
I think that this phrase is purely conditional.

If you're on the road with some friends, cruisin' with your tunes up, laughing, telling jokes, etc., then the trip there can be just as much fun.

If you're like me and tend to take plane flights everywhere, it can be pretty tedious. I'd much prefer a cruise to Southeast Asia over a twelve-hour plane flight (with the possibility of being a sardine, putting up with crying babies, etc) but I am not sure we could do that without breaking the budget for the trip.

As a sidenote, since I always get stuck between very awkward people, or behind someone who has horrible gas, or in front of/in back of someone with a crying baby, I will be bringing a bottle of Nyquil and some earplugs onto the flight.. lol.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,166,696 times
To me, if it's a road trip, the trip is as much fun as the destination.

Flying is a whole 'nother story. I just feel like cattle being loaded into a small metal tube. Moo.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
To me, if it's a road trip, the trip is as much fun as the destination.

Flying is a whole 'nother story. I just feel like cattle being loaded into a small metal tube. Moo.
It's all in the timing. I agree with skinem, as long as you have enough time to do and see what you are ultimately trying too with the extra time it requires by driving. That being said...you also don't want to end up in a National Lampoon style "peek and drive" to get to your destination. Evaluate your ultimate goal...with proper time to drive, do the homework and stay along the way at places that make that part of the fun and ENJOY! Otherwise, fly get there FAST so you can enjoy everything you are trying to do or see!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,265,172 times
I take it back, the US road trips we did (driving through 45 states, and counting) were not fun. All the US states look exactly the same, flat and full of corn fields. Even the ones with hills have a ton of corn fields! The European one was a blast. Driving through all those countries was our favorite trip ever and they don't hassle you like they do here. You see real castles, cute towns and some of the coolest looking cars on the road. We'd do that one again in a heartbeat.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,166,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I take it back, the US road trips we did (driving through 45 states, and counting) were not fun. All the US states look exactly the same, flat and full of corn fields. Even the ones with hills have a ton of corn fields!
Wow, I wasn't aware that 45 states look the same.

Thank goodness for the other 5...

Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM

111 posts, read 435,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
long trips by car...........yes
long trips by plane........no
I'm sure that you'd agree that a Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific flight would be a lot more fun than trying to make the same trip by car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel