U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM
 
1,188 posts, read 2,048,655 times
Reputation: 1881

Advertisements

I sure hope those poor people can get out of there soon! The international Red Cross should be stepping up to the plate to assure ALL people stranded have their needed medications and supplying food and water to those who may very well need it. There may be some very desperate people in need. Hopefully, now with the planes moving...it won't be long now! I PRAY for Their Sake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,423 posts, read 21,267,665 times
Reputation: 24254
The airlines have done a stupendous job of killing their competition over the last decades. They'd love to put ships, boats, trains out of business and selfishly have it all to themselves.

A new high-speed train opens between two cities, sure as tootin, they're going to undercut those fares and destroy it's potential profitability.

Same with buses. Buses have the potential for being a highly relaxing, enjoyable, even luxurious exprience, as I experienced in South America with their luxury lines where they serve you tasty meals en route and complete with a wet bar.

The airlines have no choice but to take risks before people re-discover other
more enjoyable means of transporting themselves from where to there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,718,480 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Ships run on diesel so why is it any better to use them? We either have fuel or we don't. No, ships do not have to "run on oil". There is steam that can be geneated by either coal or nuclear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power

How long does it take to cross the Atlantic on a ship compared to a plane.? Ocean travel is measured in days and weeks not hours.
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
 
128 posts, read 348,817 times
Reputation: 150
It will only be a matter of time before one of the planes that were forced to fly through the ash crashes. Then people will realize that rushing the planes into the air before it was safe for economic purposes was a dumb move. The officials that allowed the airlines to bully them into allowing the planes to fly while the volcano was still sending out ash over Europe should be held criminally responsible when there is a crash. Safety before money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,163,236 times
Reputation: 4536
There is no "ash cloud"! here in Northern Europe the sky is blue, crystal clear since a few days ; again it's the "health and safety" crowd scaremonging : ASH FLU!
It's the ultimate in worldgovernance/mindcontrol methods : scaring the crowds...and it works, alas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 AM
 
11,936 posts, read 21,561,595 times
Reputation: 11735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The airlines have done a stupendous job of killing their competition over the last decades. They'd love to put ships, boats, trains out of business and selfishly have it all to themselves.

A new high-speed train opens between two cities, sure as tootin, they're going to undercut those fares and destroy it's potential profitability.

Same with buses. Buses have the potential for being a highly relaxing, enjoyable, even luxurious exprience, as I experienced in South America with their luxury lines where they serve you tasty meals en route and complete with a wet bar.

The airlines have no choice but to take risks before people re-discover other
more enjoyable means of transporting themselves from where to there.
Cincinnati to Philadelphia in 45 mins with 50 people, getting 1 mpg. Multiplied by 50 gives you 50 MPG while traveling 450 MPH. Can a train, bus, or boat do that? I don't think so. On Greyhound that takes you 14 hours.

Highspeed rail sounds good until you realize the costs involved and the fact that it's no longer high speed because it has to stop at points along the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,239 posts, read 15,455,705 times
Reputation: 8110
Ash clouds are often invisible to the naked eye; they're made up of microscopic individual pieces of rock and glass that, though small, can do great damage to an airplane traveling through the ash at 500 mph!

I'm glad now that my flight isn't until May 1st; by then the powers that be should have a better idea of what they're dealing with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
There is no "ash cloud"! here in Northern Europe the sky is blue, crystal clear since a few days ; again it's the "health and safety" crowd scaremonging : ASH FLU!
It's the ultimate in worldgovernance/mindcontrol methods : scaring the crowds...and it works, alas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cincinnati to Philadelphia in 45 mins with 50 people, getting 1 mpg. Multiplied by 50 gives you 50 MPG while traveling 450 MPH. Can a train, bus, or boat do that? I don't think so. On Greyhound that takes you 14 hours.

Highspeed rail sounds good until you realize the costs involved and the fact that it's no longer high speed because it has to stop at points along the route.
I did Paris CDG to Valence on a high speed train. It was around 350 miles and took 2 hours and 20 minutes. My alternative was to wait at CDG for an extra hour, get a flight from to Lyon ... another hour, pick up a rental car and drive 80 miles .... another 90 mins.

High speed rail makes sense for distances up to 300-500 miles. It complements air travel rather than competes with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,813,797 times
Reputation: 4425
I haven't been affected by the disaster but I feel dreadful for all those that have, especially people who've been gypped, screwed over, conned and basically held hostage by the hoteliers, taxi drivers, car rental firms, bus and rail companies and anyone else who chose to use this as an opportunity to double- and even triple-charge desperate people for their services. I don't suppose there's a legal way to punish these people but I hope they realise that what goes around comes around and eventually they will have to pay for their behaviour .

I notice that most of the news coverage is about people trying to get back to Europe or Britain but there doesn't seem much about people trying to get out of Europe back to the US or other countries. I do hope american employers are being understanding about their employees getting back to work days or even weeks late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top